Armando: Vibe is that Wallace is the target and Jennings is the fallback | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Vibe is that Wallace is the target and Jennings is the fallback

Let Long , Starks,and Bush walk, then sign Wallace and Levitre...
Round 1 trade down to the early 20´s, get Tyler Eifert
Round 2a. Desmond Trufant CB
Round 2b. Eddie Lacy RB
Round 2c Steadman Bayley Wr
Round 3a. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine DE
Round 3b Justin Pugh T
Round 4 Kiko Alonso ILB
Round 5 EJ Manuel QB

Let Long , Starks,and Bush walk, then sign Wallace and Levitre...
Round 1 trade down to the early 20´s, get Tyler Eifert
Round 2a. Desmond Trufant CB
Round 2b. Eddie Lacy RB
Round 2c Steadman Bayley Wr
Round 3a. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine DE
Round 3b Justin Pugh T
Round 4 Kiko Alonso ILB
Round 5 EJ Manuel QB

:bobdole:

This seems debatable.

The Dolphins have used a couple of different approaches to free agency since Ireland has been onboard. Most years, they seem to bargain shop, as if they are going into it with low expectations.

However, the one offseason in past Ireland years where we did think we might have found our quarterback (2010), it seemed like Ireland took a decisively win-now approach, securing Kalos Dansby and Brandon Marshall for big dollar contracts, bringing in Mike Nolan, and throwing out the trash (Pat White, Gibril Wilson, Ted Ginn).

I would imagine, regardless of his natural inclination, that the fact that his job is probably riding on him finding some key building blocks this offseason, Ireland is more likely to be in 2010-mode.

Either way, just wanted to point out that there is precedent for Ireland to go hard after the big fish.

The only big fish he ever really reeled in during free agency was Karlos Dansby though. Kudos to him for managing to get him but otherwise there seem to be a lot of cases where they are interested in guys that are big fish in free agency, but the Dolphins never seem to offer enough money to get them. Ryan Clark left the table seething mad at them for whatever reason. Matt Flynn was low balled. They were interested in Eric Winston but balked at the amount of money he wanted. They were interested in DeAngelo Williams but balked at the money he wanted. They couldn't reel in Peyton Manning. They went fairly hard after Antrel Rolle and couldn't get him because they backed off the money he was set to get. They went hard after Calvin Pace who was a top free agent back in 2008, and they couldn't reel him in.

I'm just saying the history is not necessarily there of them taking a hard run at a guy that is amongst the most coveted free agents out there, and actually securing him. So even if it's TRUE that Mike Wallace is their preference and Greg Jennings their backup plan, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jennings is still more likely than Wallace.

The only big fish he ever really reeled in during free agency was Karlos Dansby though.

I suppose you can't call Brandon Marshall a free agent acquisition, but you can't look at free agency in a total vacuum. If Brandon Marshall was in the cards throughout the execution of their free agency agenda, then the budgeting for his contract would affect their threshold for Antrel Rolle and Ryan Clark, so while he may not symbolize free agency success, I think he rationalizes those particular free agency shortfalls. Upgrading Akin Ayodele, Ted Ginn, and Paul Pasqualoni were the big priorities that offseason, and he did that about as well as he could have. At least we thought so at the time.

He did fail to get Peyton Manning, but that was perhaps the most extreme free agency bidding war of all time. Matt Flynn et al were not part of 2010. ...I'm not trying to convince anybody that Ireland is particularly good or bad, just that he can go get the big dogs when he's got the juice. Having said that, if the Browns go after Mike Wallace like the Raiders went after Carson Palmer, is Ireland completely to blame?

I suppose you can't call Brandon Marshall a free agent acquisition, but you can't look at free agency in a total vacuum. If Brandon Marshall was in the cards throughout the execution of their free agency agenda, then the budgeting for his contract would affect their threshold for Antrel Rolle and Ryan Clark, so while he may not symbolize free agency success, I think he rationalizes those particular free agency shortfalls. Upgrading Akin Ayodele, Ted Ginn, and Paul Pasqualoni were the big priorities that offseason, and he did that about as well as he could have. At least we thought so at the time.

He did fail to get Peyton Manning, but that was perhaps the most extreme free agency bidding war of all time. Matt Flynn et al were not part of 2010. ...I'm not trying to convince anybody that Ireland is particularly good or bad, just that he can go get the big dogs when he's got the juice. Having said that, if the Browns go after Mike Wallace like the Raiders went after Carson Palmer, is Ireland completely to blame?

Who said anything about blame?

I'm just stating a fact. When the Dolphins decide they like a guy that pretty much everyone else also likes, they don't have a history of bidding up enough to get him.

I'm just stating a fact. When the Dolphins decide they like a guy that pretty much everyone else also likes, they don't have a history of bidding up enough to get him.

Can't argue with that. However, by failing to capture any of the year-to-year detail, a one-liner like that wields little predictive power.

I think Ireland hasn't learned that to build a winner it's ok to overpay at one or two positions. You can make up that cap space with good decisions elsewhere...insisting on 'a good deal' in every case will basically shut you out of most top-tier, high-impact free agents, b/c the more suitors there are, the more likely that at least one team will 'overpay'. It's like your cheap friend who is frugal on everything so he can buy a home/start a family but ends up losing his bride b/c he insists on a bare bones wedding.

Back
Top Bottom