As it stands right now, who would you like to see Miami draft Rounds 1-3 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As it stands right now, who would you like to see Miami draft Rounds 1-3

Pretty tough at this point. We need to see who declares and what happens with free agents. Still it is fun to guess. No trades allowed as it complicates matters too much.

1 A) Assuming Burrows and Young are gone, I only see Tua, Thomas, and Okudah as possible picks. I'd take Tua. I'd expect Grier to play it safe and take Thomas. I could see Flores liking Okudah. I say we swing for the fences and take Tua.

1 B and C) These picks will be so close I'll list them as one. Depends on who is there. If we have Gross-Matos and/or Epenesa there take them. Next I'd take the best left tackle, say Wirfs, assuming we didn't take Thomas with 1 A. I'd strongly consider Delpit or Simmons too.

2 A) I think we might have good value with a defensive player here. CB's Henderson or Dantzler/ DT's Davis or Kinlaw come to mind.

2 B) I'd be looking at right tackle (assuming we already got a left tackle) and/or guards. Throckmorton (ROT), Jones (LOT), Little (LOT), Lemieux, Bredeson.

3 A) Maybe a center like Harris or Williams or a ROT like Durant. Otherwise a RB, say Hubbard/Dobbins/Ackers.

I want the team to draft a left and right offensive tackle. I want them to draft an outside pass rusher and a DT that can bring pressure if one is there for the taking. I would look to draft a CB and/or safety (or OLB that can cover a TE/slot WR). I want the team to draft a running back. I would draft guards or center if value was there. In the late rounds I'd look at return/slot WR's, fullbacks, and blocking tight ends.

The team has to decide on a plan for QB. I would take the gamble on Tua as I see the reward outweighing the risk (but I certainly wouldn't
trade up for him).

Grier's least drafted positions: Edge and QB(1) Edge = Harris
Grier's most drafted position: WR(4)

The guy's throwing darts...

One day when Grier is the GM of a carwash somewhere after 25 years in the league - people are going to wonder why he was never associated in any fashion with a football team that could string together two 9 win seasons.

Don't chase your tail. Build the offense.

I think the big takeaway is that as a team, you are trying to spend as much time in the contender window as possible. I dont think its even arguable that the passing offense is the most effective way to get there fast.

The pass offense first model, which to me looks like KC who have a great offense and a bad defense... The fact they have a bad defense doesnt take em out of contending. The defense first or generally adding talent everywhere model is really fragile. Some teams have had success with it but most failed. Look at the Jags, the Rex Ryan Jets, the Bears...

If I was going to illustrate this, a simple napkin drawing would do the trick.

On the left you have the offense first model which quickly rises in winning% as the offense is taken care of. On the left side, you've got your strong defensive team getting better at a steady rate but doesnt get a steeper curve until the offense starts to grow.... They're in the contender window much later and once they get there, its time to pay all to defensive guys... Most of those teams actually crumble shortly after entering the contender window....

teambuildingdoodle.jpg

This is mostly an opinion though, I could be wrong just as well...

Last edited:
If Miami had gone by my board (specifically for Miami), the draft would have gone:

1. Andre Dillard or Chris Lindstron
2. Erik McCoy or AJ Brown
3. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
5. Charles Omenihu

After that, you're running into lottery tickets, but Kris Boyd, Yosuah Nijman, and Emanuel Hall or Stanley Morgan would have rounded out the draft.

If Miami traded down from 48 (like they did), I'd have drafted Juan Thornhill at 62.

The big takeaway is that the early investments either directly benefit the QB or help the versatility of the secondary, and you still get a guy like Omenihu slipping through the cracks.

But, if Miami had been more aggressive in helping the QB (not yet on the roster), it'd give them more versatility in 2020. If Miami does end up with Tua, and if they sit him until 2021, it gives them more time to build the line. That's not something they could have accounted for at this point last year, so they may have lucked our a bit. We'll see.

I've already posted a couple mocks for 2020, but it really is very early to narrow down the field. Most of the UC haven't even declared yet. But, since Miami essentially punted the 2019 Draft (being charitable), the plan should remain the same. With your premium picks, build the best environment you possibly can for the new QB. Miami still has no reliable targets at WR, and they still have the least-talented OL in the NFL.
Agree with this 10000%.
The good news is that we are in position to rebuild the OL and it can be fairly straightforward.
Sign the FA LG. We know the names.
Draft Center and Tackle Rd1/Rd1or Rd1/2.
Davis just keep him at RT and stop shifting him.
One day when Grier is the GM of a carwash somewhere after 25 years in the league - people are going to wonder why he was never associated in any fashion with a football team that could string together two 9 win seasons.
The bottom line is that by end of 2020 the team must post 8 wins and have found its QB. That’s that.
GM judged by wins, HC decision, QB decision.
We know Grier is mediocre. But is it that hard to check on Tua and build an OL with all those picks and FA $$??

I'd love to see us rob NE blind on their proven Edge players in FA

Considering Grier is so questionable at picking edge players, it's interesting Flores runs a scheme where they don't ask the GM to draft really high quality edge players.
How much of what Flores has learned in NE is actually actionable in a setting where your team doesnt spend over 90% of its time on the field playing with a decent lead? In other words, do you think playing with a lead kind of neglects the need for absolute skill at pass rushers since you can take one part of the opposing offense's strategical options out based game state?

im debating RT. Jesse Davis doesnt look terrible at RT, and for some reason we ditched Isaiah Prince so im wondering if Flores likes Davis. Davis sure has the size of an RT.

Do we still draft an RT in rounds 1-3? Or wait til the 6th round

im debating RT. Jesse Davis doesnt look terrible at RT, and for some reason we ditched Isaiah Prince so im wondering if Flores likes Davis. Davis sure has the size of an RT.

Isaiah Prince was a lousy pick. Slimm and Tannenbombs defined him well. I remember posting that the best way to evaluate Prince was simply to look at every other player on the Buckeye offensive line. All of them are noticeably superior, and simply better proportioned athletes. I'll never understand Grier's propensity to draft guys with odd frames for their position. Billy Turner has strange frame for guard, likewise Gesicki for tight end, and so forth. We've got a 5-6 wide receiver. Even if they eventually pan out it's a maddening waiting period and you are wasting chunks of their prized rookie contract while waiting and deciding.

Jesse Davis has always looked okay as long as he's at right tackle. His weak moments tend to happen when it's a poor situational spot and the entire team is in a low energy lull.

Davenport also has a less than perfect frame. Lanky and clumsy. He has quietly been more competent lately, after that Dallas Thomas stretch upon returning from injury.

Pass blocking is more difficult to evaluate with Fitzpatrick back there because he instinctively takes off and weaves so well when he senses something. Such a treat to watch, even if I'm always wishing he'd check downfield before reaching the line of scrimmage. The run blocking is so ghastly you've got to start there, and merely acknowledge that pass blocking is going to weaken once there's a more traditional quarterback than Fitzpatrick. I have no idea why this franchise finds such impossibility in locating a nasty guard with more basic athletic ability than Deiter. Year after year I see other franchise plugging in those guys. It's the reason I am not happy with devoting early draft resources to offensive line. If we had a New England import making the picks I'd just relax and be confident it would work out in the 2nd through 4th round. Instead we've got an awkward blend of Patriot guys in coaching spots but still Chris Grier drafting offensive linemen like Deiter and Prince.

Davis has to play somewhere, probably RT, but we HAVE to draft a LT. Jackson, Wirfs, Jones, Wangoho- who knows, maybe Andrew Thomas. One guy who impresses me more than others apparently is Yasir Durant from Missouri- light on his feet for a players of his size, has some power as well.

LT #70

For an OL dominator, probably RT or OG, I'm still liking Trey Smith from Tennessee. Brutal power, a difference maker.

I think the big takeaway is that as a team, you are trying to spend as much time in the contender window as possible. I dont think its even arguable that the passing offense is the most effective way to get there fast.

The pass offense first model, which to me looks like KC who have a great offense and a bad defense... The fact they have a bad defense doesnt take em out of contending. The defense first or generally adding talent everywhere model is really fragile. Some teams have had success with it but most failed. Look at the Jags, the Rex Ryan Jets, the Bears...

Here's a quick example from yesterday. When the Saints fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter I'm thinking...no big deal, they have Drew Brees. I fully expected they would rally to win.

Once the Bears fell behind 10-0 I turned it off and never returned...they have Mitch Trubisky.

As j-off-her-doll posted earlier, it's laughable to get excited about Chase Young. I posted a month ago that the Dolphins making that move would equate to Chase Young and a bunch of guys. The 49ers model only started to click once they continued to load up on the defensive front for several years. That looks great in stretches. It was the prized model in my youth. The Steel Curtain maintains legend to this day, along with the '85 Bears. But there were countless other versions, like the Fearsome Foursome (Rams), Purple People Eaters (Vikings), Sack Pack (Colts), and so forth.

I'll always prefer that era of football, and am thrilled that my lifespan encompassed it. But I've had to reluctantly accept the rules changes and salary-cap fragility of that model. I suggest the 49ers take full advantage this season. That type of +2.9 Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential is not likely to repeat next season. Likewise I suggest Ryan Tannehill take full advantage of this season. That level is not going to become the norm.

College football still enables both sides to be fortified season after season. That may lend to the chess piece infatuation. Tune in Ohio State vs. Clemson and there will be dominant players at every level. That's what 85 scholarships enables when 4-5 programs are now monopolizing the top of the recruiting rankings every single year. Clemson fully graduated one wave of defenders and seamlessly replaced them. Similarly they already signed the #1 quarterback recruit -- DJ Vowels -- to step in for Lawrence in a couple of years.

Throw away the chess piece mentality toward the NFL. Chase Young isn't worth what you think he is, not in this era. I mentioned that when I drove through Columbus in early November the Buckeye flagship station announcers were matter of factly agreeing that if they had to give up Chase Young or Justin Fields for the remainder of the season then it's a no brainer. You say goodbye to Chase Young.

Besides, as ckparrothead pointed out today, this Flores scheme is hardly targeted toward unleashing the edge guys. I am enjoying the 3rd down schemes each week, while trying to grasp exactly what is going on by position. This is no longer the Cameron Wake era. Edge is less significant than any period I can remember in Dolphins history.

Bottom line, a questionmark Tua is worth exponentially more in this NFL era than a dead solid perfect Chase Young

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom