As it stands right now, who would you like to see Miami draft Rounds 1-3 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As it stands right now, who would you like to see Miami draft Rounds 1-3

I'm trying to figure out what Miami will do in free agency, knowing what I know about the obstacles.

The thing I'm left wondering is if they'll completely destroy the "young players only" philosophy they've adopted thus far, and go for a bunch of ex-Patriots like Kyle Van Noy, Devin McCourty, etc. Those are the guys most likely to appreciate what Miami is doing and flee a Patriots team that could struggle in the wake of Tom Brady's retirement.

If they get the #2 overall pick and therefore it's a lock they get Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa, that could help.

I'm trying to figure out what Miami will do in free agency, knowing what I know about the obstacles.

The thing I'm left wondering is if they'll completely destroy the "young players only" philosophy they've adopted thus far, and go for a bunch of ex-Patriots like Kyle Van Noy, Devin McCourty, etc. Those are the guys most likely to appreciate what Miami is doing and flee a Patriots team that could struggle in the wake of Tom Brady's retirement.

If they get the #2 overall pick and therefore it's a lock they get Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa, that could help.

Oddly I see Van Noy as the least likely Pats FA to move. With this impending transition of Brady retiring, I would think they understand they need to be a defensive first team for the foreseeable future. Letting go of a guy like that or McCourtey seems unlikely even for them. With two offensive linemen up for FA with Thuney and Karras and a number of key guys on defense it should be interesting to see how the place their tags and spend their money. Thuney will be highly coveted and Karras has filled in admirably at C with Andrews going down.

i live in the DC area, and Scherff is a great OG but he has injury concerns.

Feverdream has a good mock draft above, as we need DE and OT badly. Im not sure Chase Young will translate well to the NFL, but if we pick him, I sure hope he does. If youre goign DE, I might prefer Gross-Matos at 1b
Gross is a great DE. But to pass on young thinking he doesn't translate is just ridiculous.

This. People think it's all about money. One team offering $52 million and another offering $50 million...the player isn't going to make that choice based on the bigger number. And the ones who do? They're probably not the ones you want.

People need to start understanding this conundrum or else they're going to be severely disappointed come free agency, left trying to scramble and rationalize what the Dolphins did after the fact.
52M for thuney in Miami compared to 50M in New England equates to over 10M difference. Add in that it is the very back end of Brady's career. Also the link with coaching now. I can't see thuney thumbing his nose at miami.

With all the draft picks over the next two years I actually look to Miami to bring in several vets for leadership purposes.

1a. Chase Young
1B. Tyler Biadasz
1C. Jonathan Taylor
2A. Josh Jones
2B. Jalen Hurts
3A. Antoine Winfield Jr.
Tons of talent there. Of all the drafts that don't really follow my personal line of thought I like this best

Honestly... and with respect... I just can't understand why each one of your first picks has to be a QB?

As has been posted here (dozens of times), very few of the best NFL QBs have been taken early in the 1st.

So why?

Just to make a statement?
IMO the league is a QB league.
You can have a great DEF or OL and be 8-8.
You need the QB for sustained success and championships.
So when I say QB no matter what it’s really my ideology on building a team.

IMO the league is a QB league.
You can have a great DEF or OL and be 8-8.
You need the QB for sustained success and championships.
So when I say QB no matter what it’s really my ideology on building a team.
Fair enough... I'm not a believer in that, but only because I think it is very possible to prefer the lower rated candidates.

It is a QB league for sure, but you also have to protect that QB... and pressure the other guy, so if I can get my linemen and still get my QB... then I'm happier.

It's really not. Not as much as you think.
The money has gotten so ou
Fair enough... I'm not a believer in that, but only because I think it is very possible to prefer the lower rated candidates.

It is a QB league for sure, but you also have to protect that QB... and pressure the other guy, so if I can get my linemen and still get my QB... then I'm happier.
I agree with the value of OL. It’s 2nd most important unit behind QB.
Hoping to allocate 1 premium FA & 2 premium picks to OL.

The money has gotten so ou

I agree with the value of OL. It’s 2nd most important unit behind QB.
Hoping to allocate 1 premium FA & 2 premium picks to OL.

I'd mock an OLT to them in the first, and a true run-oriented RT in the second or third. Or we could bring in at FA at 12-15 million a year.

Draft them.

I'd mock an OLT to them in the first, and a true run-oriented RT in the second or third. Or we could bring in at FA at 12-15 million a year.

Draft them.
I think Center makes sense with one of the 1st Rd picks or OT or maybe both. We see.
I would love to see Thuney or Sherff targeted FA.

I want Thuney, not Scherff, but would take either (not both).

Flores knows him, and if coach wants him, coach gets him. If Flores knows Thuney and wants Scherff... that would tell me something too.

I want the one he wants. RG for the next 4 years or so. Expensive, but we have the money.

If Miami had gone by my board (specifically for Miami), the draft would have gone:

1. Andre Dillard or Chris Lindstron
2. Erik McCoy or AJ Brown
3. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
5. Charles Omenihu

After that, you're running into lottery tickets, but Kris Boyd, Yosuah Nijman, and Emanuel Hall or Stanley Morgan would have rounded out the draft.

If Miami traded down from 48 (like they did), I'd have drafted Juan Thornhill at 62.

The big takeaway is that the early investments either directly benefit the QB or help the versatility of the secondary, and you still get a guy like Omenihu slipping through the cracks.

But, if Miami had been more aggressive in helping the QB (not yet on the roster), it'd give them more versatility in 2020. If Miami does end up with Tua, and if they sit him until 2021, it gives them more time to build the line. That's not something they could have accounted for at this point last year, so they may have lucked our a bit. We'll see.

I've already posted a couple mocks for 2020, but it really is very early to narrow down the field. Most of the UC haven't even declared yet. But, since Miami essentially punted the 2019 Draft (being charitable), the plan should remain the same. With your premium picks, build the best environment you possibly can for the new QB. Miami still has no reliable targets at WR, and they still have the least-talented OL in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom