Baldinger: Tannehill as a franchise QB is a pipe dream | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baldinger: Tannehill as a franchise QB is a pipe dream

Didnt Baldinger also say that D Thomas was a bust before he even played a regular season game? Or was that someone else?

Baldinger is an idiot...He never knows what he is talking about on NFLN

You are right, he did. This was what he said before Thomas ever took a regular season snap:

By the way, I asked NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger what he thinks of Thomas. Baldinger a former NFL offensive lineman studied all the draft picks this year.

"Is Daniel thomas going to help this football team? I don't think so. I think they missed on him," Baldinger said

Unless they clean out the entire front office and coaching staff at the end of the season, you can forget about Barkley. Not happening.

And how do you know this for sure? Just because Tannehill was drafted at #8 overall, doesn't guarantee he will be a franchise QB. For the Dolphins and Ireland's sake, he better turn out to be a franchise QB or the pick was a waste. He will either be a franchise QB or a bust. The Dolphins gave up the right to have it any other way when they took him #8 in the first round. But if they are in position to draft a bonafide franchise QB in Barkley next year, they have to do it. The only way you wouldn't do it is if Tannehill gets a chance to play this year and tears it up or shows so much promise, that you feel confident in him moving forward.

And how do you know this for sure? Just because Tannehill was drafted at #8 overall, doesn't guarantee he will be a franchise QB. For the Dolphins and Ireland's sake, he better turn out to be a franchise QB or the pick was a waste. He will either be a franchise QB or a bust. The Dolphins gave up the right to have it any other way when they took him that high in the first round. But if they are in position to draft a bonafide franchise QB in Barkley next year, you do it.
No, picking a quarterback in round one doesn't guarantee that they will be a franchise quarterback. However, it certainly takes more than one season to determine if they are a bust or not. Heck, the fact that Dolphins fans are even discussing moving away from Tannehill and drafting a new QB in the 1st round before even one training camp practice shows how impatient Dolphins fans are. The fact is that Tannehill might not play much at all this season. Maybe he gets a few starts at the end of the season, but unless he starts day one you can't make a final determination whether he will be a success in the NFL or not. Even a full 16 game rookie season is not enough. There is no way to make a decision on Tannehill's long term future based on one season.

Also, what guarantee that Barkley is a "bonafide franchise QB"? How do you know that for sure? You don't, Tannehill may turn out to be the better pro. There is no guarantee that Andrew Luck as the #1 pick is going to work out for the Colts. Remember guys like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell? You don't throw away one unproven commodity to pick another. Like I said unless the front office and coaching staff are completely gutted absolutely no chance, nada, zilch that Barkley would be picked by the Dolphins if he is on the board. Miami would either take the best player(not a QB) on their draft board or trade the pick to a QB needy team for multiple first round picks like the Rams did this year. Sam Bradford has already been in the league two years and hasn't exactly proven himself, but the Rams are continuing to build around him and allowing him to develop even though RGIII was staring them in the face. You want to get a franchise QB and instill confidence in your player and organization? You don't undermine your first round QB by taking another first round QB just a year later, before allowing him the time to prove himself. You either got it or you don't as a rookie? Matthew Stafford sucked his rookie season and was invisible his second season. His third season he became a star in the NFL and is now one of the top quarterbacks in the game.

Do you know the last time a team took a quaterback in the first round of the regular draft in back to back years? You would have to go all the way back to 1982 and 1983. That was a unique situation though because the quarterback taken in 1982 had been suspended for the 83' season. Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1962. As you can see, what you are suggesting never really happens, and it won't next year.

there's nothing in this new cba with the way the 1st round money is laid out now that should keep any team from if they want to investing in a qb with their top pick each year of the draft...that said i highly doubt no matter how tanny looks should he get run this year that ireland would go back to back...that would be admitting that he made a mistake on tannehill in the first place...i don't see ireland as that kind of guy...now if they fired ireland i could see it as possible...especially if philbin wasn't leading the charge for tanny in the first place...my guess is sherman would be the first one to walk the plank though...that they'd hold him most accountable

No, picking a quarterback in round one doesn't guarantee that they will be a franchise quarterback. However, it certainly takes more than one season to determine if they are a bust or not. Heck, the fact that Dolphins fans are even discussing moving away from Tannehill and drafting a new QB in the 1st round before even one training camp practice shows how impatient Dolphins fans are. The fact is that Tannehill might not play much at all this season. Maybe he gets a few starts at the end of the season, but unless he starts day one you can't make a final determination whether he will be a success in the NFL or not. Even a full 16 game rookie season is not enough. There is no way to make a decision on Tannehill's long term future based on one season.

Also, what guarantee that Barkley is a "bonafide franchise QB"? How do you know that for sure? You don't, Tannehill may turn out to be the better pro. There is no guarantee that Andrew Luck as the #1 pick is going to work out for the Colts. Remember guys like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell? You don't throw away one unproven commodity to pick another. Like I said unless the front office and coaching staff are completely gutted absolutely no chance, nada, zilch that Barkley would be picked by the Dolphins if he is on the board. Miami would either take the best player(not a QB) on their draft board or trade the pick to a QB needy team for multiple first round picks like the Rams did this year. Sam Bradford has already been in the league two years and hasn't exactly proven himself, but the Rams are continuing to build around him and allowing him to develop even though RGIII was staring them in the face. You want to get a franchise QB and instill confidence in your player and organization? You don't undermine your first round QB by taking another first round QB just a year later, before allowing him the time to prove himself. You either got it or you don't as a rookie? Matthew Stafford sucked his rookie season and was invisible his second season. His third season he became a star in the NFL and is now one of the top quarterbacks in the game.

Do you know the last time a team took a quaterback in the first round of the regular draft in back to back years? You would have to go all the way back to 1982 and 1983. That was a unique situation though because the quarterback taken in 1982 had been suspended for the 83' season. Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1962. As you can see, what you are suggesting never really happens, and it won't next year.
Leaf and Russell are drug addicts and drunks, Barkley is not. If they have the chance to take him and pass that would be a major mistake. He's twice as good as Tannehill.

I am concerned as well if Tanny is the guy, but few people expected much of Brady or Favre either. And Leaf was supposed to be a sure thing so who knows.

Quick fun fact : Brian Baldinger is actually a native of Massapequa, Long Island. Massapequa is also where Jerry Seinfeld and the Baldwins grew up, and is one town over from Amityville where I was raised... Just for the record, generally speaking, people from Massapequa tend to be huge pompous douchebags.

Barkley will go 1 overall in all likely hood, wether the top team needs a qb or someone gives up two drafts for him. I don't want the dolphins doing that. trading your whol draft for one, unproven player is not a good move. The only recent prospect I can see doing that for is Andrew Luck. The last one was peyton manning.

Leaf and Russell are drug addicts and drunks, Barkley is not. If they have the chance to take him and pass that would be a major mistake. He's twice as good as Tannehill.

This is speculation that Barkley is "twice as good" at Tannehill. I don't know that, and you don't either. Tannehill is raw, but the front office, scouting department and coaching staff did their homework(they have more access to information then we do as fans and even the media) and determined that he was the guy that want to be the future and build around. Ireland at his post draft press conference even said that Tannehill is a guy they had been eying for a couple of years and he drafted him to be the starting QB(whether that is this year or next is up to the coaching staff). Why would Ireland draft Barkley exactly one year later when after years of draft prep picked a guy he plans on being the starter? Won't happen. New CBA rules about rookie salaries really do not matter because taking another 1st round QB is admitting a year later that your pick last year was a mistake. First off, no GM or coaching staff is going to admit a mistake on a 1st round QB just a year later. Also, one year is not enough time to even make the determination that your quarterback is a failure or a success.

If Miami is unfortunate to have a top 5 pick next year, don't waste your time dreaming about Barkley or any other of the top rated quarterbacks in 2013. No chance that happens, and I am surprised some of you actually think there is even a slim chance of it even happening. You can take it to the bank, write it in pen, whatever, IT IS NOT HAPPENING.

Tannehill is the guy the offense will be built around. The draft next year will be about giving Tannehill weapons to work with and continue to develop with. They probably will draft a QB in 2013, but think 4th round or later to be his backup. I have no clue whether Tannehill will become a franchise QB or end up a bust, and neither do any of you. The Colts drafted Andrew Luck this year and from the looks of their overall roster will struggle as a starter this season. If the Colts are on the clock and Matt Barkley is on the board, would you suggest they draft him? Or would it be better to take a different position to help the growth of Luck, or perhaps trade the pick to a team in need of a young QB and get multiple 1st rounders? Answer me that.

They have to go with Tann for a few years now and give it a chance. It's too risky to do what the Browns are doing now with McCoy. If Weeden doesn't pan out and McCoy they get rid of McCoy, they will set themselves back many years.

Personally, I think Barkley will be another USC flop in the NFL.

I hope that if the Fins are in the position to draft Barkley (would basically need a top 3 pick) that we trade back and acquire a boat load of top picks for next few years.

Yes. I wish they did that this year, but there has to be trade partners for that too. I doubt there were many that wanted to trade up.

Way too early to judge when he hasnt played one snap in the NFL!!

If I am not mistaken, Baldinger is the guy who tried to belittle CK on NFLN. That told me all I need to know about him. You don't treat a guest in the manner he came across. Guy is a moron.

Back
Top Bottom