Baldinger: Tannehill as a franchise QB is a pipe dream | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baldinger: Tannehill as a franchise QB is a pipe dream

because the suck for luckers want to blow for barkley.

Seems that way. Why are people moving on to the next big name before Tannehill even has taken a training camp or preseason snap in the pros? Ross gets blamed for chasing the "names", but it seems the fan base is also guilty of that from time to time. People have been yelling for years for a first round quarterback and Miami finally took one for the first time in 29 years. Just over 2 months after being drafted those same people are already talking about replacing him. :bobdole:

Why can't I compare Luck and Tannehill? Both are top 10 picks, rookies in 2012, and haven't proven anything at the pro level. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be the next best thing and he bombed. Alex Smith went #1 in 2005 and has been average in the pros, while Aaron Rodgers went #24 in 2005 and is arguably the best quarterback in the league. There is no way that you can sit there and tell me without a even a little doubt that Luck will definitely be better than Tannehill. Obviously Luck is the more polished quarterback coming out of college and there is a reason he went #1. Doesn't mean he is going to be a Hall Of Fame QB in the NFL.

Again, one year is not enough to determine if a QB is going to be great or a bust. To use Matthew Stafford as an example again. Sucked his rookie season. Didn't do much in his second year. Stud in year three. Tannehill likely isn't going to start a lot of games if any in 2012, so no way to determine 100% if he has it or not.

As for Barkley being the next big thing, who knows for sure? He was a stud in college? So was JaMarcus Russell. Mark Sanchez and Matt Leinart certainly don't give USC a good recent track history for first round picks.

Tannehill is the Dolphins quarterback that they will try to build around at least for the next three seasons. Want a QB in the first round in 2013 or even 2014? Forget it. Not happening.

Man, all you do is tailor your arguments for what the Dolphins do.
Obviously nobody knows FOR SURE what kind of a professional that a prospect will turn into, but (again obviously) you have to base prospects off of their collegiate performance and take the best one available. There is not an NCAAFB talent evaluator in the country who would have ranked Tannehill over Barkley in this year's draft, and barring something catastrophic like a bad injury or a terribly unforseen drop off in performance Barkley will be competing for the Heisman trophy and the #1 overall pick next year.
Let's say next year Tannehill plays poorly in limited work and we ARE in position to draft Barkley but we pass on him. Tannehill goes on to be a bust and Barkley goes on to be a top 5 QB in the league. Would it still have been a mistake to draft a QB two years in a row?
Let's say that we do end up drafting both Tannehill and Barkley and they both end up being very good like Rivers and Brees were in San Diego. Is that a bad problem to have?
My point is that this is a quarterback league, if you don't have a quarterback you don't have anything. I would much rather take the risk of having two good quarterbacks than taking the risk of passing on a potential great one.

i'd be careful saying there is not a nfl talent evaluator in the country who would have had tannehill over barkley...nfl scouts and gms and personnel LOVE upside and physical tools...it's how jamarcus russell goes #1 overall...they love tools...they're gonna love the package that logan thomas has to offer also in that regard...barkley does not possess elite physical tools or eye popping upside so i could see someone knocking him and saying he's a relatively average prospect...but the on field play and tape which this past year was pretty much rediculously good should trump a lot of that...still there will be questions about his arm and upside you can believe that...

that said they wouldn't deter me in the slightest...

It's not even the preseason, Tannehill hasn't even played a snap for us, and there's already talk of "blow for Barkley"? :lol:

End already offseason!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously nobody knows FOR SURE what kind of a professional that a prospect will turn into, but (again obviously) you have to base prospects off of their collegiate performance and take the best one available. There is not an NCAAFB talent evaluator in the country who would have ranked Tannehill over Barkley in this year's draft, and barring something catastrophic like a bad injury or a terribly unforseen drop off in performance Barkley will be competing for the Heisman trophy and the #1 overall pick next year.
Let's say next year Tannehill plays poorly in limited work and we ARE in position to draft Barkley but we pass on him. Tannehill goes on to be a bust and Barkley goes on to be a top 5 QB in the league. Would it still have been a mistake to draft a QB two years in a row?
Let's say that we do end up drafting both Tannehill and Barkley and they both end up being very good like Rivers and Brees were in San Diego. Is that a bad problem to have?
My point is that this is a quarterback league, if you don't have a quarterback you don't have anything. I would much rather take the risk of having two good quarterbacks than taking the risk of passing on a potential great one.
Even if you tried really hard to pick a middle ground, the middle ground would still be... Nobody knows what anyone, and I mean ANYONE is going to do in the nfl until the bullets start flying. As far as not drafting a QB in the top 10 two years in a row, would you even have suggested that 5 years ago? has any team EVER done that? no? then conventional wisdom, regardless of CBA changes says you give a top 10 QB at least 3 years to come into his own.

there's nothing in this new cba with the way the 1st round money is laid out now that should keep any team from if they want to investing in a qb with their top pick each year of the draft...that said i highly doubt no matter how tanny looks should he get run this year that ireland would go back to back...that would be admitting that he made a mistake on tannehill in the first place...i don't see ireland as that kind of guy...now if they fired ireland i could see it as possible...especially if philbin wasn't leading the charge for tanny in the first place...my guess is sherman would be the first one to walk the plank though...that they'd hold him most accountable

I have said before that if Tannehill busts, Sherman will get fed to the sharks and Ireland will try to insulate himself...

I also think that they both will keep Tannehill on the bench as long as possible, so that they don't have to even show their hand. This means Ireland is insulated for at least a year...so he won't get fired, and we won't get Barkley...UNLESS, this team totally sucks with all three QB's, because we would try each as the season declines...

Even if you tried really hard to pick a middle ground, the middle ground would still be... Nobody knows what anyone, and I mean ANYONE is going to do in the nfl until the bullets start flying. As far as not drafting a QB in the top 10 two years in a row, would you even have suggested that 5 years ago? has any team EVER done that? no? then conventional wisdom, regardless of CBA changes says you give a top 10 QB at least 3 years to come into his own.

i would have to disagree with that...should jax give blaine gabbert 3 years if he blows again this season or henne beats him out...heck no they shouldn't...

Has nothing to do with what the Dolphins did. It is common sense and HISTORY that proves taking a quarterback in the first round in back to back years never really happens. Like I said it happened once in the 80s(because the first QB was suspended for his second season) and then the next case was in the early 60s. A catasrophic injury, something like a career ending injury, sure there is the exception for taking another QB in the first round. Since that probably won't happen, I don't think there is any justifying taking another 1st round quarterback. I am sure there are some talent evaluators who would rank Tannehill ahead of him, just like there were some that ranked Tannehill ahead of RGIII. Not saying that the majority did, but some did. If you take another first round quarterback, it isn't creating competition at the position, you are basically kicking Tannehill out the door, therefore have WASTED a first round pick. Do you kick Barkley out the door in 2014 if there is a better QB on the board in the following draft? Then kick that guy out in 2015, and so on?

Good for him that he might win the Heisman Trophy. Tim Tebow won the Heisman also.

So what if he struggles in a short window this season? Matthew Stafford sucked his first season, didn't do anything of note in his second season but became a stud in year three. They drafted Tannehill based on potential and his tools and project him as a starting QB in the NFL. He is probably the most raw QB that was taken in the first round and needs time to develop. A couple of games in his rookie season is not enough to make a final determination on him.

What if Tannehill becomes a star and Barkley is a bust? How do you justify taking a second first round QB who was a bust and not using that pick on a weapon for Tannehill? We don't know how either will turn out in the pros but you can't waste a pick so soon because you are afraid. They made a commitment to Tannehill, and it is their responsibility to make sure he is put in a position and given the proper weapons to make sure he succeeds.

You can't even compare the Brees and Rivers situation to this. Brees(a second round pick) was already with the Chargers for three seasons and had career stats of 29 touchdowns and 31 interceptions. So yeah, after three years of mediocre play it is justified to start looking at other options. You are talking about adding Barkley before Tannehill even enters his first training camp.

i would have to disagree with that...should jax give blaine gabbert 3 years if he blows again this season or henne beats him out...heck no they shouldn't...
idk. I don't follow them. I do agree he was brutal and timid, you'd thing mjd would help take the pressure off that kid, but in the end both him and mjd spent more time getting tackled in the backfield than a fat chick spends cleaning up a ketsup popsickle off a white dress in the middle of july. How bad was thier line? how weak was the outside support? heck even JaMarcus Russell got his three years. Whatever happens, this regieme is now tied to Tannehill, and as he goes they go. We can be forum Gms and think and dream about the decisions we'd make given the chance but I'll retire from finheaven if we draft a QB in the top 10 next year.

i think some of you guys need to change the way you view some things under this new cba...throw old common sense out the window...if a coach or gm gets fired especially a gm that new front office rep is not gonna have loyalty to last years qb unless he wants to tie his wagon to that qb...he's gonna look for his own guy...and in this new cba it makes it a whole lot easier to go in a different direction...cap wise and mortgaging your future wise...

but i guess it's gonna take time a few years under this new agreement before you get actual evidence...it's coming though

idk. I don't follow them. I do agree he was brutal and timid, you'd thing mjd would help take the pressure off that kid, but in the end both him and mjd spent more time getting tackled in the backfield than a fat chick spends cleaning up a ketsup popsickle off a white dress in the middle of july. How bad was thier line? how weak was the outside support? heck even JaMarcus Russell got his three years. Whatever happens, this regieme is now tied to Tannehill, and as he goes they go. We can be forum Gms and think and dream about the decisions we'd make given the chance but I'll retire from finheaven if we draft a QB in the top 10 next year.

really depends on if irelands here or not...if he is i'd say zero chance...if he's not and tanny plays this year and looks horrid i'd say odds go up...we could eat cutting tanny next year under this new cba and still use our top pick on a qb no problem cap wise...no problem...in the old cba you'd be paying for that for at least 2 more years...not to mention the difference in the guaranteed money

Back
Top Bottom