Benardrick McKinney restructure | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benardrick McKinney restructure

Once the Dolphins open that Pandora box, they aren’t going to be able to close it. It is one thing to restructure a contract with one or possibly two years left but a player with four years left on his contract is a different situation.

While Howard certainly had a career year in 2020. The fact is he has had numerous injuries in the last 5 years and he has only had 2 really good seasons out of the 5 years he has played for the Dolphins. I certainly don’t blame him for wanting more money but I will be very surprised if the front office caves to his demands. I suspect they are presently looking to see which team is willing to give them the best offer for Howard.

Personally I would love to see Howard as a Dolphin in 2021 and beyond but with camp opening next week and if he does hold out as anticipated, I think he will be traded before the season starts.

Mostly agree. we may disagree a little on the definition of "cave"

Exactly
Both sides know the parameters. A player knows he could be cut at anytime. He knows he could be traded. Unless you have a no trade clause. The teams also know the penalty they will pay if they cut or trade said player.

A player (howard) also knows he signed a contract getting alot of money early, and after a year nothing was guaranteed.

If he wanted it guaranteed he should have negotiated it that way.

The Dolphins were willing to make him the highest paid CB. I highly doubt they would have declined giving him more guaranteed AT THE TIME.

You don't like what your teammate is getting paid is not justification for me personally to renegotiate so early.

I am sure there was 5 or 6 CBS who's eyebrows raised when he got that contract. I don't remember seeing the top 5 CBS asking for new contracts because of it

So just to play devils advocate.

What if he had signed a small contract and had a monster year. After the season he wants what he wants now.

I don't think anyone would blame him for holding out.

I don't agree with how he has gone about it but I understand why he's not happy, regardless of what he just signed for.

You don't reallt believe X, or his agent, would agree to any such thing do you?

Sometimes it's fun just to say things I guess........I'm going on the senior PGA tour.....

Edit: I'll be "that guy".......intact is one wo rd......
No I don’t really believe it, it was another suggestion. Yes intact is one word, didn’t proofread my voice text.

So just to play devils advocate.

What if he had signed a small contract and had a monster year. After the season he wants what he wants now.

I don't think anyone would blame him for holding out.

I don't agree with how he has gone about it but I understand why he's not happy, regardless of what he just signed for.
See I don't understand why he's not happy.

He has ZERO business worrying about what someone else makes.

Our society is starting to become way too envious is my opinion.

What Jones makes shouldn't concern him.

Jones and his agent negotiated a contract.

Howard and his agent negotiated a contract.

It's as simple as that. Howard has zero reason to be upset.

He had the opportunity to negotiate a higher contract. Now he's envious of a teammates contract.

When contracts and pay are negotiated you only have yourself to blame if you wind up being underpaid or paid less than u think you're worth

You don't reallt believe X, or his agent, would agree to any such thing do you?

Sometimes it's fun just to say things I guess........I'm going on the senior PGA tour.....

Edit: I'll be "that guy".......intact is one wo rd......
Really is spelt with a Y not a T😂😂😂😂

See I don't understand why he's not happy.

He has ZERO business worrying about what someone else makes.

Our society is starting to become way too envious is my opinion.

What Jones makes shouldn't concern him.

Jones and his agent negotiated a contract.

Howard and his agent negotiated a contract.

It's as simple as that. Howard has zero reason to be upset.

He had the opportunity to negotiate a higher contract. Now he's envious of a teammates contract.

When contracts and pay are negotiated you only have yourself to blame if you wind up being underpaid or paid less than u think you're worth

All I know is that if my job paid someone not as good as I am more money than me, id be asking for a raise and probably looking for another job if they refused.

In the NFL you cant just quit and go to another team. So you're left with a hold out.

Back to back superbowls. 2 straight mvp caliber seasons. Clearly headed to the hall of fame.

Patrick Mahommes. I know you just signed your 10 year contract last year, but time to renegotiate my friend.

You have clearly outperformed your 450 million contract, I mean, after all, only 64 is guaranteed right?

Time to renegotiate. Make sure 400 million is guaranteed. You gotta get yours now. Wouldn't want you to starve

Back to back superbowls. 2 straight mvp caliber seasons. Clearly headed to the hall of fame.

Patrick Mahommes. I know you just signed your 10 year contract last year, but time to renegotiate my friend.

You have clearly outperformed your 450 million contract, I mean, after all, only 64 is guaranteed right?

Time to renegotiate. Make sure 400 million is guaranteed. You gotta get yours now. Wouldn't want you to starve

If the Chiefs for some reason decided to add a second QB to the roster and paid him more...yes id urge him to hold out.

All I know is that if my job paid someone not as good as I am more money than me, id be asking for a raise and probably looking for another job if they refused.

In the NFL you cant just quit and go to another team. So you're left with a hold out.
Cool hold out and forfeit alot of money.

Or

Be forward thinking. Realize what the cap is next season and play lights out and break the bank more next.

Unless he thinks he will get hurt again. But honestly, if he is not confident he stay healthy then the team shouldn't be either.

If he played 1 more healthy season he would make more then he ever would now

You dont think Mahome's contract is going to be renegotiated? You think he plays that entire whole contract?

If the Chiefs for some reason decided to add a second QB to the roster and paid him more...yes id urge him to hold out.

So is his concern Jones got paid more

Or

Is it because of his amazing season last year?

First one no sympathy and he can have a seat.
Second one, ok I understand. Again though, it's how you conduct yourself and he conducted himself poorly.

I have said, I don't care he asked for a raise, I care how he went about doing it.

But at the end of the day, does it matter? Are there only certain excuses when someone can ask for a renegotiation.

Does it have to be a teammate? Why? Him being concerned is a pride and ego thing.

If LA went and gave Stafford a 5 year 300 million contract should every other elite QB then say.... wait hold on. STAFFORD..... really? Nope time for a new deal?

If that's the case, every season will bring the same problem.

Every year cap goes up and contracts get higher.

Stop being envious

You dont think Mahome's contract is going to be renegotiated? You think he plays that entire whole contract?
Of course it will and
Nope not at all.

But I do expect him to play 5 or 6 of the years before he attempts a renegotiation.

IMO Mahomnes has more of a right to say he outperformed his first 2 years then Howard.

I don't expect any player to play there full contract before renegotiating.

But come on. Atleast play 50% of the contract out. I don't think that's asking too much

So is his concern Jones got paid more

Or

Is it because of his amazing season last year?

First one no sympathy and he can have a seat.
Second one, ok I understand. Again though, it's how you conduct yourself and he conducted himself poorly.

I have said, I don't care he asked for a raise, I care how he went about doing it.

But at the end of the day, does it matter? Are there only certain excuses when someone can ask for a renegotiation.

Does it have to be a teammate? Why? Him being concerned is a pride and ego thing.

If LA went and gave Stafford a 5 year 300 million contract should every other elite QB then say.... wait hold on. STAFFORD..... really? Nope time for a new deal?

If that's the case, every season will bring the same problem.

Every year cap goes up and contracts get higher.

Stop being envious

Well I agree that I dont like how he's gone about it. So we are on the same page there.

Well I agree that I dont like how he's gone about it. So we are on the same page there.
Yeah, that's really it for me, plus the precedent it would set so early in a contract.

I truly believe you should and could ask for what you're worth.

I just also believe in what's right is right and handle things appropriately.

Of course it will and
Nope not at all.

But I do expect him to play 5 or 6 of the years before he attempts a renegotiation.

IMO Mahomnes has more of a right to say he outperformed his first 2 years then Howard.

I don't expect any player to play there full contract before renegotiating.

But come on. Atleast play 50% of the contract out. I don't think that's asking too much
I just don't get hung up on the whole timing issue. I do think that pisses people off. It doesn't phase me in the least. I've reworked contracts in all phases. Sometimes even before it started and sometimes even after it was completed. It's not uncommon.

Back
Top Bottom