Benardrick McKinney restructure | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benardrick McKinney restructure

I understand the theory, but I generally disagree with it for a couple of reasons.

1) Unless the mid-season injury signing costs more than 850K, it does not impact your salary cap, because the signed player makes less money than your top 51.
2) That mid-season signing can likely be covered by those cuts that you mention. Grant and Fejedelem alone will bring us about 5M.

So, I'm left with the idea that maybe we needed a small amount of money to get Long and Eichenberg in... although I have read articles that said we likely had enough. I guess if we immediately sign a more expensive player... like say... Justin Houston... then this will make more sense to me.

I'm eager to see what happens next.

If I'm reading that correctly... Eichenberg's cap cost should be about 1.5 this year, Holland's 1.6M and Long's about 1M.

so... 4.1M, and supposedly, we had 5.2M left...

I may have buggered up the math, but I think we had enough money to do the signings.

edit: Just remembered... the impact would be less than 4.1M, because three other players would fall off of the top 51 (Strowbridge, Gaskin, and Ford)... so more like 1.6M.

Along with signing two veterans Friday, the Dolphins also took care of some other business when they restructured the contract of inside linebacker Benardrick McKinney.

The move is listed on the transactions section of the team website.

While no details of the restructure have surfaced, logic dictates that it was done to free up some cap space as the Dolphins prepare to head to training camp.
keep track of whoever that one site was that was reporting this!

a blind squirrel may find several nuts!

JMHO but think this has two do with locking down the two remaining rookies and freeing up some cap room if we want to sign a player that’s cut. Nothing to do with X

I'm just dithering now... I love the nuts and bolts of the cap...

So... if my above math is correct, and the actual cost of our last three picks (Holland, Eichenberg, and Long) actually do very little to affect our salary cap (and remember, only the top 51 count, not everyone on the roster), then... we didn't need to restructure McKinney (who is signed for three more years with no bonus money or guarantees)...

...and if I am further correct that the eventual cutting of a few vets will return money to our cap (like Grant and/or Feje), then I'm back to thinking that we only restructured McKinney to make money for something else.

Yes... this is a house of cards... feel free to point and laugh...

So... I'm thinking that we may be looking to bring someone in, and I'm now looking at the available Free Agents, as well as players who've been rumoured to be available by trade.

So... if my above math is correct, and the actual cost of our last three picks (Holland, Eichenberg, and Long) actually do very little to affect our salary cap (and remember, only the top 51 count, not everyone on the roster), then... we didn't need to restructure McKinney (who is signed for three more years with no bonus money or guarantees)...

...and if I am further correct that the eventual cutting of a few vets will return money to our cap (like Grant and/or Feje), then I'm back to thinking that we only restructured McKinney to make money for something else.

So... I'm thinking that we may be looking to bring someone in, and I'm now looking at the available Free Agents, as well as players who've been rumoured to be available by trade.
Kamara mayhap? I can only hope lol.

I'm a Gaskin guy, but if we could seriously get Kamara I'm all in

From the post I posted a couple of posts we were a little over $4.5 million short.

...and if I am further correct that the eventual cutting of a few vets will return money to our cap (like Grant and/or Feje), then I'm back to thinking that we only restructured McKinney to make money for something else

I agree with what you said. Wonder if Huston is the guy they bring in?

Kamara mayhap? I can only hope lol.

I'm a Gaskin guy, but if we could seriously get Kamara I'm all in
Kamara has a low cap cost. His cost to the Saints is only 5M, but to another team, he'd only cost 2M this year.

Please look back at my posts as I gave you the dollar amounts.
I looked at them... but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.

On the chart from OTC, you have to click on the draft position to see what the individual players cost per year, due to draft position... and we had 5.2 million available for THIS year, and the three of them together do not cost that much. 1.6, 1.5, and just under 1M.

Kamara has a low cap cost. His cost to the Saints is only 5M, but to another team, he'd only cost 2M this year.
Hot diggity dog

Give me 4 please lol.

Who else have we been rumored to trade wise?

I know teams but not players.

Hot diggity dog

Give me 4 please lol.

Who else have we been rumored to trade wise?

I know teams but not players.
I've seen four or five teams mentioned, but most of these 'mentions' are just authors doing a lot of speculating. The only one I have really thought looked credible was the Saints interest in X.

Back
Top Bottom