BREAKING NEWS: Rick Speilman Resigns (Merged) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Rick Speilman Resigns (Merged)

I am a little upset to see him go. But because of his eye for talent, not for his GM abilities. I think he was in over his head a bit as a GM. Or it could have just looked that way from the outside, because he was bound and gagged by Wanny.
Either way, we are losing one hell of a talent evaluator.

DolphinDevil28 said:
All of those guys were evaluated and picked by Jimmy Johnson.

And JT was a 6th rounder. Zach was a 5th rounder. Sam and Pat were 2nd rounders.

You can thank Jimmy Johnson for all those guys.

JT was a third rounder.

Spielman had a great eye for talent and was a great scouter but it was time for him to go and I'm glad he realized that. I'm also really glad to see him step down voluntarily rather than to be fired. Bash me if you want but I respected Dave Wannstedt for stepping down even though he loved this team and Jay Fiedler more than anything, he did it because he knew he wasn't doing any good for the team and believe it or not people... he wanted to do what was best for this team. Seriously though, I respect Spielman for stepping down and wish him the best. Hopefully we find a good replacement.

pigskinguy said:
I am a little upset to see him go. But because of his eye for talent, not for his GM abilities. I think he was in over his head a bit as a GM. Or it could have just looked that way from the outside, because he was bound and gagged by Wanny.

His record, which relates to the teams scouting departments he was involved with are mediocre at best.........and thats being kind.

Based on what I know of Nick Saban, if he felt Spielman was a great talent evaluator Rick would be staying here.

It was obvious from certain shots Saban took at the previous regime he was not impressed.

pigskinguy said:

:up:

Can't wait for the new guy..... then the "saloon door" fans can start roasting him.

Frankly, Spielman is a great talent evaluator. His ability to find gems in the later rounds will be missed. It's just a shame his wagon was hitched to the Wannimobile.

I truly don't see this as a move fueled by merit within the organization. And ANYONE who thinks this decision wasn't made for him, needs to reevaluate their understanding of how politics works. This is the final straw in changing out the "old guard" in the front office.

Wanny's shadow did not allow for the fan base to correctly judge Spielman. Nearly every poster who slammed Spielman also mentioned Wanny in the same breath. For them, it was guilt by association. And, it was wrong.

Spielman will find employment shortly if he seeks it. Maybe not as GM, but some owner/GM already has him in mind for something.

Good luck Rick, thanks for weathering the worst storm in Dolphins history during your first/only year as GM. You did a thankless job and performed well. You've given Saban and the Phinz a strong and solid foundation from which to re-engineer one of the most prolific franchises in the NFL.

I for one am grateful for all you accomplished in such a little time.

MDFINFAN said:
I'm only talking Rick Spielman, I blame Wanny for a lot..but Spielman was a ray of sunshine in a cloud of darkness..Get your facts right. If you realistic..do you really think you could do better..?? Do you think all of Rick's draft picks were bad last year? Do you think we needed to keep the OL before the change last year? Do you think we needed to keep Jay at QB? Do you think before last year's draft, we had a good backups at LB?
My facts are fine. Our offense is and has been void of quality personnel for years. Especially on the offensive line. Has Speilman drafted or aquired a single player who went to the Pro Bowl?
I have not done the research, but I can think of none. In the last few years, how many starters has he aquired that lasted longer than one season? A small handful out of many moves.

The guy was not succesful and was working outside of his skill set as GM.

jlfin said:
what an ignorant post
No, its not ignorant. Its how he feels.

Some of you need to accept that this team has been bad for awhile and declined into terrible this year. Speilman was part of that.
WHat has the guy done??? Underacheive and that is it.

NathanHunt said:
:up:

Can't wait for the new guy..... then the "saloon door" fans can start roasting him.

Frankly, Spielman is a great talent evaluator. His ability to find gems in the later rounds will be missed. It's just a shame his wagon was hitched to the Wannimobile.

I truly don't see this as a move fueled by merit within the organization. And ANYONE who thinks this decision wasn't made for him, needs to reevaluate their understanding of how politics works. This is the final straw in changing out the "old guard" in the front office.

Wanny's shadow did not allow for the fan base to correctly judge Spielman. Nearly every poster who slammed Spielman also mentioned Wanny in the same breath. For them, it was guilt by association. And, it was wrong.

Spielman will find employment shortly if he seeks it. Maybe not as GM, but some owner/GM already has him in mind for something.

Good luck Rick, thanks for weathering the worst storm in Dolphins history during your first/only year as GM. You did a thankless job and performed well. You've given Saban and the Phinz a strong and solid foundation from which to re-engineer one of the most prolific franchises in the NFL.

I for one am grateful for all you accomplished in such a little time.

I do agree with you that this was a forced resignation to allow him to save face.

I don't get from what previous draft facts you label him a "great talent evaluator"?

As I said, his work both in Chicago and here produced mediocre drafts at best.....nothing that can be labeled great.

Nick Saban would not force him to go if he thought Rick Spielman thru his eye for talent could help him win games, I think Saban's right hand will be someone much more skilled than Rick Spielman with a much better track record.

Attacking the fans that don't agree with you adds nothing to your argument in support of Spielman.

gofishn said:
This is really too bad, he really was one of the best personnel guys in the league. Maybe not quite cut out to be a GM or he was too inexperienced in his first try, but this guy can evaluate talent with the best of them.

Everyone has an opinion on Rick's leaving, but to be honest... I don't care. Do you know why I don't care? ... because I don't work in an NFL organization, which is the only way anyone would have enough information on the subject to form an educated opinion.

"he really was one of the best personnel guys in the league"

Can you honestly even name 1 from each of the other teams, let alone all of them? He11, can you even name 10 others? How about 5? Anyone can get the info. off of the Internet, but can you name any of them out of your head? I'd put my $ on 'no'.

I apologize for singling you out, gofishn, but this is the most blatant example that I've read so far.

I know people are bored, and just looking for something to pass time, but this is reaching.

Breaking news:

Apparently speilman just failed his 3rd drug test. he called in his resignation from Hawaii and is cureently in route to Australia. I expect Speilman to show up next off seson to try and make a comback.

NOT AGAINNNNN

:rofl3: :rofl3:

fin-atic said:
My facts are fine. Our offense is and has been void of quality personnel for years. Especially on the offensive line. Has Speilman drafted or aquired a single player who went to the Pro Bowl?
I have not done the research, but I can think of none. In the last few years, how many starters has he aquired that lasted longer than one season? A small handful out of many moves.

The guy was not succesful and was working outside of his skill set as GM.

No doubt, I'm not even getting into his ability as a GM, that should be clear to any open minded person who reviews everything that transpired in his lone year as a GM......he was a fish swimming with sharks.

I base my ultimate opinion of him on the personnel departments he headed up both in Chicago and here and the lack of overall talent produced by them.

Back
Top Bottom