Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback?

There are many ways to skin a cat but personally I like what Pederson did. And I think Gase has missed his window on drafting the QB of the future.

If they can get the right QB in this draft, then we may have Tannehills successor. I'd like a trade down to take a good QB prospect however my feeling tells me that Josh Allen will be somewhat successful. He has the physical gifts and he's one of the smartest QB's in the draft class based on the Wonderlic test scores. If Allen or Mayfield are not available, then it's Mason Rudolph who can be had with our 9th pick in the 3rd. After that our 31st pick in the 4th or any of our remaining picks won't land a QB worth drafting unless we get really lucky.
  • Josh Allen: 37
  • Josh Rosen: 29
  • Sam Darnold: 28
  • Baker Mayfield: 25
  • Lamar Jackson: 13

A lot of those guys on your list are in the same non playoff win/4th quarter boat. Ironic post seeing you have “logic” in your username.
And all those QBs are better than Tannehill. You must not watch much football to think he is better. No one anywhere would agree with you.

This must be the only place in the country where anyone thinks THill is any good. I just do not understand how some Fin fans defend this guy.
He is not even in the top 20 QBs in the league.
Every GM, scout, coach would take these 20 QBs over him without hesitation:Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Wentz, Wilson, Cam, Ryan, Rodgers, Luck, Mariota, Winston, Rivers, Stafford, Carr, Cousins, Watson, Flacco, Dak, Eli, Goff.
Most would put THIll on par with Dalton and Taylor.
And fans think they should build around him? A guy who has never won a playoff game or shown the ability to excel in the 4th quarter.

You know EVERY GM, SCOUT, and COACH????? Can you get me some autographs?

Oh, wait, were you just talking out of your butt?

Let me know.

Ryan Tannehill will get a 10 year window in Davie.

This owner deserves a big f u from the fanbase for his past ten years. This team has done absolutely nothing under his ownership. It has been garbage coaching, garbage GMing, garbage results, garbage product, and a big part of that is Ryan Tannehill and other garbage quarterbacking.

Now, people say look at the 7-1. Let’s not throw awat the baby with bathwater! Okay, let’s see it one more year.
But, If this team misses out this draft on a QB you can say goodbye to the next ten years and this owner might as well sell the team like Wayne. He made his bucks but he would have done nothing for football and deserves a F U again.

Last edited:
Conflicted. It would be exciting to see if we draft an elite qb. But if we move up and they end up being worse than Tannehill, then we're moving backwards.

He’s a middle of the pack guy who can get it don if everything else around him is going well, like an Alex Smith. I think we need to keep grabbing QBs until we get a true franchise QB.

P.S. That knee injury was so ****ing painful. I finally thought he had turned a corner. Hope he can pick up where he left off.

They need to do both. Both are important. However, the QB position being the most important for variety of reasons, including production, long term success and stability, having an edge over the rivals, they need to grab the best QB when available as early as possibly. And when they get that QB, that does not mean they should get rid of Tannehill. they also need to build the team, of course, that's obvious.
But, spending a high pick like 11 this year on a linebacker is ill advised when we are one of the teams not set at QB, we do not have a phenom, and multiple rivals in conference are looking for that QB. the pick should be Rudolph, to me it's as clear as daylight.
Tannehill will start next year, they can build the roster with the other 7 picks and UDFA. If everything is good, Tannehill can start 2019 as well. If not, they'll have the QB to take over.

Last year at 11, I would've taken Watson or Mahomes, and this year Rudolph at 11. And that is better than Charles Harris and Roquan Smith. It's better value, even if they do not see the field, it's money better spent, for all the possible reasons, because you can get those complementary pieces in later rounds.

Ruldolph, a guy people have going in the 4th round at 11. More evidence of the low football IQ of the RT17 haters.

I'm not a Tannehill-hater, but I don't think that Tannehill has "it". Yes, Philbin's pathetic o-line allowed him to be sacked more than any other QB over a 4 year period, but some of those sacks were his fault. He's very athletic and good at throwing on the run, yet he has a problem escaping pressure in the pocket. With Marino, they could be down 2 TDs with 5 minutes to go and they had a good chance of winning. With Tannehill running Gase's offense, there's no way they could win in that situation. Gase would probably call a short pass on 3rd and long, punt, and the opponent would run out the clock. Even if they would score a TD, Burke's defense would immediately give up another score. Everyone keeps mentioning how Tannehill went 7-1; that 7-1 record was against mostly bad teams and they barely won some of those games. The only reason they ended up at 10-6 was due to a few lucky bounces and breaks... they actually won a few games that they should have lost (for example, Cleveland missing a FG).

In a way, I pity Tannehill. He was never given a sporting chance under two inexperienced Head Coaches who were in way over their head and had no idea what they were doing. Neither Philbin nor Gase wanted a big strong o-line and a punishing running game which would have helped take some pressure off of Tannehill. Instead, Ryan was stuck with a stumbling, bumbling offense that usually couldn't score until nearly half-time when they were already down by a few scores, matched with a defense that was built to play with a lead even though they rarely had a lead. He has shown potential at times, especially with his ability to roll out and go deep, but any good play he made was usually followed by poor playcalling from Gase.

And all those QBs are better than Tannehill. You must not watch much football to think he is better. No one anywhere would agree with you.

RT17 hasn't had a competent team. Horrible coaching, horrible Oline, Horrible WRs and so on. He turned Brian Hartline into an actual NFL WR. Wins and loses aren't a QB stat. period.

If they can get the right QB in this draft, then we may have Tannehills successor. I'd like a trade down to take a good QB prospect however my feeling tells me that Josh Allen will be somewhat successful. He has the physical gifts and he's one of the smartest QB's in the draft class based on the Wonderlic test scores. If Allen or Mayfield are not available, then it's Mason Rudolph who can be had with our 9th pick in the 3rd. After that our 31st pick in the 4th or any of our remaining picks won't land a QB worth drafting unless we get really lucky.
  • Josh Allen: 37
  • Josh Rosen: 29
  • Sam Darnold: 28
  • Baker Mayfield: 25
  • Lamar Jackson: 13

Blaine Gabbert had a Wonderlic score of 42 and Dan Marino had a 16.....just sayin'.

Tannehill_TD_9.0.gif

Tannehill_touchdown.0.gif

Tannehill_TD_8.0.gif

Back
Top Bottom