Can't miss prospect? OT edition | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can't miss prospect? OT edition

Does anyone remember who our last #3 draft pick was? He was not only a complete bust, but he was embarrassing also.
That class was full of busts. The only reason we got up to three with a second round pick. Was there was no top 5 talent in that draft. It would take a lot more than a second round pick for us to move down 9 spots this year.

parsons is tbe only true sophomore on tape in that group to come out. This isn’t a talent thing. The talent is absolutely worth a top 5 pick. This is a does he fit in my lockerroom thing and what’s his football character like.

There seem to be some flags but you know if I recall correctly there were flags with derwin james even coming out and he’s been outside of medical nothing but a ideal citizen in the lockerroom etc with the chargers. Of course those flags let him drop right into the chargers laps.

wierd that this list doesn’t have the #9 pick kuechly on it. Somebody cherry picking lol. Nor does it have the bears undersized backer from a few year ago picked what top 12.

I don’t much care about the pick I care about tbe talent.

Or your beloved Eric Kendricks. You always want LBs.

Im fine with Sewell if we stay at 3. Id much rather trade back with a team that leaves us in the top 10 and score a 1 next year that has a good shot of being in the Top 10...Detroit, Carolina, Phily, Denver...with some 2s or 3 depending on how far back we have to drop. We'd have to continue our extraordinary run of 2021 Draft luck (Thanks Tanny, Brown and Pudgy back up FG kicker!). Need a team to fall in love with Fields or Wilson be ready to move on him. Id love to get Parsons in that scenario. Grab WRs and RBs in the 2nd and 3rd. Maybe 1B if a stud were to fall...maybe

Sorry if I am being dumb here - not used to having a lefty QB - but as Tua is a lefty isn't RT more important to him as that's his blindside - Sewell will always have been a LT - also what do we do with Austin Jackson if we draft Sewell - does he simply become backup or slide over to the right where we already have Hunt. Tua needs weapons WR and RBs - the line to me looks close as the 3 rookies get a full preseason next year, one or two additions via FA.

Have you ever even watched Sewell play?

This. This x1000. Dude is otherworldly. He literally makes Oregon run. Double entandre!

Well, I’m sure someone said the same exact thing about those other top prospects leading up to their respective drafts. Which is largely why they were touted so highly. Tony Mandarich is another that comes to mind.

I’d also counter with, “have you even watched Devonta Smith play?“

He’s pretty good too.

Sorry if I am being dumb here - not used to having a lefty QB - but as Tua is a lefty isn't RT more important to him as that's his blindside - Sewell will always have been a LT - also what do we do with Austin Jackson if we draft Sewell - does he simply become backup or slide over to the right where we already have Hunt. Tua needs weapons WR and RBs - the line to me looks close as the 3 rookies get a full preseason next year, one or two additions via FA.

My two cents, since you asked, Sewell plays RT, move Hunt to RG and Kindley to LG. Sewell’s talent level is so high that I can’t imagine switching sides would affect him in any way at all.

Taking a tackle at #3 is a bit of a luxury pick but I’m still all for taking Sewell simply because not only would he be the best player availablehe is probably the best player available over multiple draft classes. I loved Hunt’s development but he will never be what Sewell currently is let alone what he can be.

What makes Sewell so good? It is not only his obvious athletic gifts but also his demeanor. He is a leader, plays with incredible intensity, passion, energy and seemingly enjoys embarrassing his opponents.

When I watch him I see him doing things that I haven’t seen a lineman do before besides maybe Nelson in Indy. Even when Sewell is beaten off the snap his ability to recover and knock a rusher off their arc is insane. He is rarely content to just knock down one guy but goes hunting for the next victim. On screen passes he has a fascinating “Swim” move against defenders that leaves them wondering what just happened.

IMO, drafting Sewell helps so many phases of the game that he is a near no brainer. That being said the Fins are sitting in an enviable position no matter what they do.

A full 50% of the 1st round tackles are JAG's. Even the Jake Long's or Robert Gallery's of the Tackle class only last so long. If we get NO takers the select him, but I think the #3 pick is worth their 1st this year and a 1st next year without having to trade past #10. I could go this year's #1 and a #2 this year and next but that draft capitol is something golden. I agree thet top 5 picks are the difference makers but doubling your pleasure is how teams are built. ( see Barfalo in the 80's and present or the Dallas Crybabies)

I respectfully disagree. Miami said today that Tua will be the 2021 starter. If that is their commitment, it is a risky move playing with the youngster’s confidence and not worth the drama.

The leverage is already there without Miami putting out they might take a QB... San Francisco, Denver, Carolina, Detroit all may be wanting to jump above Philly and each other to get their QB along with Cincy wanting to get Sewell to protect Burrow.
We'll see, I expect some poker

Where Miami was really outclassed was Denver’s secondary outclassing the Dolphins receivers. I am surprised the Dolphins WRs didn’t tweet out #MeToo after the game feeling they were being molested all game by the Bills secondary.

And on the other side of the ball, the Bills WR’s outclassed Miami’s secondary to the point where the Dolphins secondary must have shaking in their cleats after the game from separation anxiety after being torched all game.

If those two situations were reversed, we would be talking about how Tua outclassed Allen and Miami would be playing the Bills again this week.

And I am not saying Tua is at the level of play Allen is right now because he isn’t. Just saying Allen throwing to Diggs, Davis, Brown, and McKenzie while Tua is throwing to Bowden, Ford and Hollins (Parker is legit) creates an uneven playing field when comparing the two QBs.
Right. I get it. Poor l'il Tua doesn't have anyone to play with! And once he's surrounded by "superior talent" at ALL positions
and can dump off for 50 YAC a shot and hit li'l cheesy slants for 80 yard TDs while getting 200 on the ground every game
he'll personally be "competitive" with Allen!

I have honestly never known such a NEEDY QB in like 50 years of football! Folks have had it WRONG all these years!
QBs don't lift up players around them! It's the other way around! Like how silly is that!

choosing quantity over quality is how you end up with a bunch of average and non difference makers. Don’t you have enough average to non true difference makers on this team already. Good lord I see plenty of easily replaceable as long as you add guys that buy into your system etc.

How bout something truly elite from the word go. It’s top 5 if you ain’t getting it there where are ya getting it
Good point, that’s why instead of Earl Thomas you get a Koa Misi and Jared Odrick. Having said that with 2 - 1st and IF we could do a slight trade down and still get an elite talent but easier said than done.

All I know is that whomever they select unless they meet board expectations the discussion should be how we replace them less than 10 starts into their careers.

Listen, I will preface this by saying I am absolutely 100 percent for trading down and collecting a next years 1st rounder from someone. However, I am beyond baffled by how many people buy into pre draft hype on players, especially at Tackle.

Grading tackles is one of the toughest things to do. The people that argue Sewell is a can't miss talent really need to figure out how they are getting to that conclusion. Is it stats? Is it what draft gurus say? Because I think we all should step back and make sure it isn't what people are just saying about a player and are making their own opinions instead.

Here is the highest graded tackles ever pre draft.

1Joe ThomasWisconsin2007
2Jake LongMichigan2008
3Leonard DavisTexas2001
4Russell OkungOklahoma St2010
5Mike WilliamsTexas2002
6Robert GalleryIowa2004
7Andre SmithAlabama2009
8Eric WinstonMiami (FL)2006
9Trent WilliamsOklahoma2010
10Matt KalilUSC2012

Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Russell Okung, Eric Winston and Trent Williams were great pros. But thats only 50% of the top highest rated Tackles EVER.

The other 5 were complete busts in the NFL as tackles.

Jake Long, Eric Winston and Trent Williams all ended up leaving the franchise that drafted them because the team ended up not paying them.

This means only 2 of the highest graded tackles ever really had a true meaningful impact to their team that made them worth keeping around.

I realise this will get flamed. I realise that Sewell may very well be a HOF tackle when all is said and done. But we all need to realise he may very well (and the odds are in favor of) end up being a bust or at the very least may not be all he is built up to be.

If we draft Sewell I will pray he is a HOF, but people need to really stop pretending that he is a lock to be an all time great. The draft is a crap shoot. How people transition to the NFL is and has always been a lot of luck. People get paid a lot of money to only hit on 1 or 2 a year and that is considered good.

Great teams in the NFL build through the draft. Increasing the number of picks, and therefore the odds, is by far the best way to do this.
True...but to ignore the elite players at the top of drafts is foolish.....

Does anyone remember who our last #3 draft pick was? He was not only a complete bust, but he was embarrassing also.
That's what happens when you draft based on measurables and not production.

Right. I get it. Poor l'il Tua doesn't have anyone to play with! And once he's surrounded by "superior talent" at ALL positions
and can dump off for 50 YAC a shot and hit li'l cheesy slants for 80 yard TDs while getting 200 on the ground every game
he'll personally be "competitive" with Allen!

I have honestly never known such a NEEDY QB in like 50 years of football! Folks have had it WRONG all these years!
QBs don't lift up players around them! It's the other way around! Like how silly is that!
Gigantic straw man.

Tua has the bottom of the barrel at skill talent around him in the entire league. Nobody is saying that he needs a bunch of All-Pros to look competent. We're saying that he deserves better than NOTHING.

Back
Top Bottom