Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

Yeah wards size is the only issue with a top 12 pick. It’s ideal for nickel I can’t see anyone starting him as the #1 plan at that size despite him maybe getting there. It’s kind of like Harris with Denver. No way that size projects as a 1 but he gets the job done. Wards more gifted athletically.

Jackson’s long speed is the only issue I see. Wards gonna run and change direction like a joy stick Jackson can’t run late 4.5s and validate top 12. Late 4.4s ok but I’m not sure I see it.

Iowa’s scheme ask is a lot of off and zone too too it hides speed craves ball skills and situational awareness which I think Jackson has at a very high level. Pattern recognition etc.

I also think miamis content on the boundary with x and tank and lippett as the 3rd man.

Tank looks pretty solid when he doesn’t blow assignments. Technique needs work. X technique is way more consistent but it’s to be expected with a rookie
Given projected board and team needs, I think we can can narrow pick to QB, James, Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, Nelson.
Chubb and Barklet will be gone.

Fitz would be second only to Chubb on my wish list. And I’m saying that after admitting round 1 is too high for a safety! Kinda hoping for Reid/Edmunds in the third/fourth.

Things are going to get interesting if certain QBs are left at 11 and nobody offers a trade.

Hard for me to value any of the LBs/DEs at 11. Can’t see FO going CB. Don’t want to see them pick QB. Wouldn’t be upset with Vea as eventual Suh replacement. Can see a picks I’d love to have late first/early second though.

Overall not a great draft class for our needs other than RB.

Only issue I have with fitz is I don’t think he can carry coverage vs size at tight end. Some parts of his game look more corner

For me derwin james projects better in that role.

Deep middle safety fitz all day long

If they let suh go and I don’t think they will I think they’d play with Phillips and godchaux as plan a starters in 2018

Fitz seems more of a poor man's Ramsey...played all the position in college, but will ultimately play CB in the NFL because that is where the money is. He is a smooth player and has the same skill set as Ramsey, but not in the same league athletically or near as explosive. James actually is in the same category as Ramsey athletically and is as explosive. Although he doesn't have the overall coverage skills Fits does.

The QB discussion becomes really interesting if somehow NYG go Barkley in hopes Manning has 2+ years, NYJ sign Cousins, and Elway falls for Mayfield.

Only issue I have with fitz is I don’t think he can carry coverage vs size at tight end. Some parts of his game look more corner

For me derwin james projects better in that role.

Deep middle safety fitz all day long

If they let suh go and I don’t think they will I think they’d play with Phillips and godchaux as plan a starters in 2018

Fitz and Derwin bring versatility in different ways. Fitz a better compliment to Reshad for sure. Allows Reshad or TJ to plays in the box more, Reshad can play off the ball if Minkah assigned to slot. I think Minkah can handle TEs without issue. He can shutdown slot as he did against Clemson and Renfro which changed the outcome of that game.
Derwin is special in his own right of course.

Fitz seems more of a poor man's Ramsey...played all the position in college, but will ultimately play CB in the NFL because that is where the money is. He is a smooth player and has the same skill set as Ramsey, but not in the same league athletically or near as explosive. James actually is in the same category as Ramsey athletically and is as explosive. Although he doesn't have the overall coverage skills Fits does.
You have probably seen more of Derwin & Ramsey than me. I thought Ramsey was better in coverage than Derwin.. Derwin brings greater impact at the LOS.
Minkah somewhere in between I guess but his intangibles are off the charts. Minkah becomes your defensive captain Day 2. Derwin is just a beast. These are all tremendous players.

Fitz and Derwin bring versatility in different ways. Fitz a better compliment to Reshad for sure. Allows Reshad or TJ to plays in the box more, Reshad can play off the ball if Minkah assigned to slot. I think Minkah can handle TEs without issue. He can shutdown slot as he did against Clemson and Renfro which changed the outcome of that game.
Derwin is special in his own right of course.

Great discussion on this! I know Grier has said he drafts BPA, but I have a hard time thinking that Jones and McDonald won't be the starters. If we do get one of these guys, I hope I am wrong and the guy who makes plays and helps us win gets the nod because otherwise how are they going to get on the field? I am guessing, because he has really come along, that McCain will most likely be the nickel.

Last edited:
off the charts intangibles with minkah is something I absolutely agree with

reeks of assignment sound and high football iq

I love tannehill but in the event this board breaks where qb insurance is the best value at 11 I’d be on it.

If rosen gets to 11 due to personality that’s gonna be one hard to pass.

And while I think mayfield is more late 1 early 2 value it’s not the worst idea I’ve heard of. And qbs get pushed up anyways

Tanny goes down I don’t want to mail in another season on no upside 2 deep

Lamar Jackson is gonna generate a lot of buzz after he runs sub 4.5 too

Sorry, but no. I'd rather risk the wasted season on a Tannehill injury than watch either the OL or defense struggle enough to sink the season again. We've lost one season to Tannehill injury since 2012. We've lost three due to the OL and/or defense (2013, 2014, 2015). I just cannot go through another season where the QB looks the part and either the OL is complete crap, the defense can't stop anyone, or the coach holds a press conference to tell the world that his players are dumbest, laziest, players in the league.

I honestly don't think a rookie QB coming last year fixes anything. I also don't think they will keep Tannehill and a 1st round QB on the same team long enough for it to be worth a 1st round pick. In one or two years one of them is gone and we are one cheap shot away from relying on a backup QB that wasn't a first round pick.

I prefer to take the route that Philly and Minn took this year. Sign a veteran backup that doesn't make the coaching staff piss itself if they are required to play for an extended period.

Vita veas gonna be a name everyone talks about after he runs sub 5.0 at 345 lbs. he has a special teams open field tackle on tape that shows off ungodly athleticism. It’s a straight up fired out of a cannon open field take down. But I don’t see us in the dt market and I think I can work away from him on o as a coordinator. I know gase can

Good luck working away from him with this versatility
DWmlZnkW0AETUKX.jpg

There's a fair chance that Suh and Phillips aren't on the Dolphins next year. Godchaux and Taylor are good depth/rotation guys, but they are not the alpha DT's you see on top defenses. I still don't understand why more people aren't considering Vea or Payne for Miami in that 10-20 range of the draft.

There's a fair chance that Suh and Phillips aren't on the Dolphins next year. Godchaux and Taylor are good depth/rotation guys, but they are not the alpha DT's you see on top defenses. I still don't understand why more people aren't considering Vea or Payne for Miami in that 10-20 range of the draft.
They aren’t considering them because Suh is on our team still. If (highly unlikely) he gets cut, then everything changes

Back
Top Bottom