Chris Mortensen on 790 The Ticket | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Mortensen on 790 The Ticket

finfan54 said:
I disagree, I think its time to make Ronnie Brown a FB except with passing game and running game in mind and set the O up that way from the start since RW will be playing from the start. They can also split carries that way. But I want to see Ronnie going in motion and going out for passes. I think having both in at the same time, except with running plays as well in the design, would make us unstoppable.

Has it occured to you why they were only together on the field in limited situations last year?

Ronnie may be a decent blocker- for a RB. Same thing with Ricky. But neither of them have the ability to block like a fullback. Saban pretty much admitted that last year.

CChambers7284 said:
Ricky is the better back right now.
Ronnie is a little too raw, I think especcially for a feature back.
Well then why did we pick him?
Benson or Caddy or Edwards should have been picked if Ronnie was "too raw"

ok, this is an easy thing to view. Ricky and Ronnie will continue to see carries as they did last year. I believe Ricky will be used more when trying to ice the game in the 4th qtr where ronnie will get 15-20 carries in qtrs 1-3, ricky will see the load late in the game. Ronnie did cough it up in critical times last year. Mularkey will run the ball 35x a game, 18 for ronnie, 17 for ricky

I went to UF when we had Neal Anderson at halfback and John L. Williams at fullback. John L. carried the ball almost as much as Neal. They were truly a defensive coordinator's nightmare! Just when you thought you had Neal bottled up, John L. would get a handoff or a short pass and had legitimate RB speed and moves. I could definitely see R&R being the same headache for opposing D's.

he could be doing what Kansas city did with Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes with Holmes being the starter and getting the bulk of the carries. Now look at Larry Johnson so what Mort said isn't a bad idea.

KuchaMucha said:
Yea, I think that this got out because other teams are trying to low-ball Saban...so he's letting them know that he's not about to let himself get ripped off.

...preach it...

Mort knows the reality of the situation in Miami, and he knows that Ricky is the best RB on our roster. He knows Ricky can carry the full load, he's proven it. That's why he considers Ricky a "featured back" regardless if he's sharing carries or not...

Mort also mentioned how it would take a lot of compensation for Saban to trade Ricky away this year. With that said, it sounds like he's staying. Great news!!!...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

All you have to do is look at what RB & RW did when they split carries through most of the seasonm then compare that to what RW did by himself in the final games when RB was hurt. Look at both the stats and the big plays. I agree with Mort on this one.

Why did they take RB?
- RW was no gaurantee for '05.
- RW will probably retire in '07 (JMO; depth will be needed in '06/07).
- RB provides a change of pace, depth and a future star replacement for RW.

tylerdolphin said:
Honestly, Ronnie Brown shouldnt put up with Ricky being "the guy" next year, and he probably wont.
I didn't know Ronnie Brown ran the team, is he the coach or the owner?

finfan54 said:
works for me. Now lets get RB involved at FB and the passing game.

so we used a #2 pick overall to bring in a fullback and pass catcher? a huge waste of talent.

great rickys going to be the featured back...what the hell did we draft ronnie for then...i think everyone knew ricky was going to come back b4 we even drafted him.....

Of course Ricky is the feature back for us. He is the best RB on the team, afterall. And Ronnie was drafted before we knew for sure that Ricky was coming back. And besides that, no one knew how Ricky would perform after his one-year vacation, not to mention his 4-game suspension to start the season off.

Saban really wanted to trade down, but once he realized he couldn't get the right deal, he drafted the best player on the board. Some of you whiners need to relax and start using your brains before you start bitchin and moaning. Some of these whiny posts are just ridiculous.

You just can't predict anything is possible with Saban.He could trade Ronnie you never know.Especially if TO comes into the picture.I would still rather have Ricky over Ronnie next year. McMichael could ne used as trade bate.This draft will be very interesting.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I'm glad we're keeping Ricky, but the "featured" back???

Man, Ronnie's too damn good for that.

Is he really. Ronnie lacks NFL quality vision. Where there is no hole Ronnie makes no play. Caddy wasn't running behind a superior line, both Tampa's and Miami's lines are on par with each other. Ricky's game against Tenn. proved that his vision just isn't there. Ricky had no overwhelmingly big plays. His largest run was less than forty yards. He got to 172 by finding the holes where players were out of position and over running to make up mistakes. Ronnie can't do that. Caddy himself had few big plays to make up his yards this year but he consistently got four to five yard plays. If you review Ronnie's games his style is more like Eddie George's and Chris Brown's where you lose, lose, lose yards than you get a 12 yarder or 15 yarder and you average out to 4 yards per play. That doesn't fit an offense like ours we don't have the consistent recieving threat to move the chains on third and longs. I wouldn't be surprised and I would back a Nick Saban offensive running game lead by Ricky Williams. Ronnie physically and vision wise, is suited to be a player in space where he can get on smaller DB's and slower LB's. Screens, draws and short passes are Ronnies niche in this offense. Let the every down runs be manned by Ricky.

Back
Top Bottom