Clarrett a Dolphin? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clarrett a Dolphin?

Where did all these Clarett lovers come from? I thought the consensus was he blows. Looks like quite a few of them hail from Ohio...can't put down the guy that gave them a national championship (even if it was handed to them by a bs pass interference call)

Yes but Gore will go sooner than Clarett. Clarett is worth it. He can be our Moe Williams.

outlawd2u said:
THANK YOU!!!

I agree, Gore was a monster at the U when healthy...I wouldn't take him in the 3rd but if he somehow slips to the second day he's worth far more than Clarett, even with two surgically repaired knees...

gofishn said:
I agree, Gore was a monster at the U when healthy...I wouldn't take him in the 3rd but if he somehow slips to the second day he's worth far more than Clarett, even with two surgically repaired knees...

He was a monster... as a healthy freshman .....in a backup role... to Clinton Portis. Thats not a knock either because im the biggest UM fan im just being realistic. I go to UM and ive been a Cane/Fin fan for life. Gore could be a steal later and if his knees hold up he could be great for sometime however i see the merit in perhaps taking Clarett. He has a massive chip on his shoulder which could help and he can be had in the later rounds in the draft. Ive seen Gore going as high as 3rd round on Kipers and other draft boards so perhaps Clarett has the most value.

merlin00069 said:
He was a monster... as a healthy freshman .....in a backup role... to Clinton Portis. Thats not a knock either because im the biggest UM fan im just being realistic. I go to UM and ive been a Cane/Fin fan for life. Gore could be a steal later and if his knees hold up he could be great for sometime however i see the merit in perhaps taking Clarett. He has a massive chip on his shoulder which could help and he can be had in the later rounds in the draft. Ive seen Gore going as high as 3rd round on Kipers and other draft boards so perhaps Clarett has the most value.

I think that was 2002 and Gore backed up Willis McGahee, not Clinton Portis. Portis left after the 2001 championship season. Wait, self edit. I think you are right and I blew it. Gore would have started ahead of McGahee in 2002 based on his freshman year in 2001. He blew a knee in spring 2002 and sat out the season. He blew the other knee vs. West Virginia in 2003 and came back healthy, but heavy, last season.

Otherwise, I agree. I don't know all the scoop on Clarett's off-the-field issues, but he makes plays and playmakers who slip are always great value. Like Poole last year. I can think of Brimmer in this draft. Clarett has a terrific lower body and balance. That play he made running down and stripping Sean Taylor after the INT displayed rare desire, ability and instincts. Journeyman athletes who have no shot to play in the NFL will be picked while Maurice Clarett is still on the board.

I would be willing to give him a second chance. Nick seems to be good at keeping his players in check. I would not be upset if we spent a 5th or lower on him just based on his upside. Thats not too much of a risk

afishfan said:
evidentally you believe everything you hear huh???? listen moron stop listening to what the media tells you and THINK FOR YOURSELF!! He didnt quit. he went to run the 40.....but he FINISHED THE OTHER DRILLS. What about the other guys that ONLY RUN THE 40????????????? do you hear they quit when they were done? what is their excuse then? One person said this **** and everytbody is running with it. RISK OF A 7th ROUNDER?????? yeah like so many hall of famers in the 7th round huh? any pick for ANYBODY on the 2nd day is NOT A RISK stupid.

Well, since few if any of us were at the combine, and there doesnt seem to be any contradictory reports, we kinda have to go by what the media says, dont we? That is unless we are to believe that the media has conspired to ruin Mr. Clarett's career.
ESPN.com said:
After slow times, Clarett quits drills
By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- A federal appeals court kept Maurice Clarett out of the 2004 NFL draft. This time around, the former Ohio State standout tailback could keep himself from being chosen in the 2005 lottery.

Clarett, who was hoping to improve his stock with NFL scouts, squandered his latest shot at redemption on Saturday afternoon, posting sluggish performances in the 40-yard dash. According to the unofficial times, Clarett ran 4.72 seconds and 4.82 seconds in his two efforts.

How slow are those times? By comparison, four offensive line prospects, all weighing more than 300 pounds, were clocked faster than five seconds.

Foxsports.com said:
On the subject of 40-yard dash times, should NFL teams write off Maurice Clarett because the former Ohio State running back ran a 4.79 at the Combine? Absolutely not. Look at Ohio State tape from 2003, and you'll see a back who could accelerate through the hole plenty quickly.

But teams should downgrade Clarett because he had an entire year with nothing to do but prepare for the Combine and he prepared poorly. With all that Clarett has done -- or not done -- he has engendered distrust. You have to have trust in your draft picks, especially your high ones.

"Who cares what he ran?" one NFC general manager says. "That's not the thing that's disconcerting. The part that's bothersome is that he stopped (after running the 40) and didn't do anything else."
San Diego Union said:
INDIANAPOLIS – Maurice Clarett showed limited footspeed and questionable desire yesterday during a workout at the NFL Scouting Combine.
The former Ohio State running back was unofficially timed at 4.79 and 4.89 seconds in the 40-yard dash, but more telling to some coaches was that he refused to participate in other drills after running so slowly.

Thats 3 sources that say he gave up, how many have you got that say he didnt quit?

Back
Top Bottom