Closer Look at Grier's Drafts | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Closer Look at Grier's Drafts

Your draft misses aren’t as noticeable when you have an elite quarterback. Have an elite head coach along with him and your drafts almost don’t even matter - as long as you know what you’re doing in free agency. Every draft hit is simply a bonus.

When you have neither an elite QB or head coach, every draft miss is magnified. Which is why it’s so critical to get your young franchise QB in place on a rookie contract as quickly as possible. You can start from there.

Starting from anywhere else is just a long winding road back to where you are.

Fact

I appreciate the post, and you know I think you’re a fantastic contributor here with your posts.

You’re giving him double credit at times. For example, you give him credit for drafting Fitzpatrick and then give him credit again for Jackson. Sure, you can try to justify it but in the end you haven’t improved the team with two players. It improved by one player. Miami now has a big need at safety. So the positive grades become inflated and misleading. To be fair, I’d knock the Fitzpatrick down significantly if you save the A for the 2020 draft. That would represent the improvement to the roster better.

Beyond that, Grier was here, eventually in prominent positions, for some 17 years of dismal drafting. He may not have had the final call, but he’s one of the guys finalizing the data and information on guys that he likes. For example, if he really, really wants a player, he could advocate for a better player.

I do think the 2020 draft is likely the best draft we’ve had since the 1990s. But I look at Marvin Allen—who was around fantastic drafts in KC and Buffalo, and think that he’s a big factor in the Improvement.
I hear you. I also think this 2020 draft has a chance to springboard this franchise, especially if Tua is the real deal.

Don't know how we can honestly grade Grier prior to his time as GM, but that's a valid point. In the past, I've strongly advocated getting rid of the entire scouting department based on years of failed drafts.

I like that Grier brought in people like Allen to help with the process. To me, that's a real positive for him.

If he's in the top half of GM shouldn't we be in the top half in terms of talent on the team?

If the coach the GM hired can't get them to fulfill their potential that's on the GM that hired the coach as much as it is the coach.
That's the bottom line philosophy and its hard to dispute that. The record over the last five years is below average.

I do think you have to factor in that Grier was part of the decision making process to tear it all down and build the right way. That was a bold decision.

If it works under Grier's watch, then we've got something.

That 2017 draft is an F- x100

What a sad reminder of potentially how bad our GM can draft.

This years draft has a potential to be huge. Please Jesus.

I would like a GM that would pick better players.

Every team would like a GM that would pick better players.

I don't know who to bring in that would pick better players.

Profit.

Marty Hurney in Carolina has done very well drafting, specifically in the 1st round over the years.

28 of the 40 choices are on a NFL roster not counting Harris as being on one ( who cares he was a stiff here). Harris is the big gaffe on Grier's record, the one we ALL hate. I am not convinced the Mike TannenBum didn't have final say over the 16-17-18 drafts, but supposing it's all on Grier28/40 is not all that bad as far as NFL success goes. What is not factoed is Tua. We all know thst judment on Grier is tied to Tua, and how Flores work out. Many were happy with the HC last year, many wanted to 'tank for Tua or were willing to trade up for him. IMO Grier played that one well. He also did a better than average job of getting rid of the stiffs, and getting the salary cap under control. My point? Some people can't stand prosperity. Tannenbum is looking for a job, for those people.

I think when people mention Baltimore as a standard of how to draft it makes sense to consider the stability in coaching there. To me that is how it is hard to judge any drafts before these last two, because we had incompetent coaching and turnover in our coaching. 2019 Draft is looking above average with Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Gaskin, while 2020 does have massive potential. Overall it appears to me that Grier is pretty good at trading, below average on contracts, and drafting I find it hard to form a strong opinion on because it relies so much on Grier getting what the coach requests and on the coaches developing them.

Talk about “fake news!” Mister Grier took over December 2019.
Judge him and evaluate his performance from that point on!

4gd99g.jpg

I recall the story during the 2016 draft when Tunsil was sliding and it came to Miami's pick.

Tunsil was being discussed by the group when Adam Gase famously said "just flucking take him", so they took him.

I suspect after that 2016 season Gase's yielded all the power in the room. I don't believe AG did the scouting homework on 100's of prospects and decided which one's to take but ultimately he was deciding the direction.

I don't think many of us will be able to criticize if Tua doesn't work out. It's what 90% of us were clamouring for. I think the evaluation of this year's draft is more dependent on how much production we get from Hunt, Davis and Bowden. If they work out threads like this will start to disappear.

I think when people mention Baltimore as a standard of how to draft it makes sense to consider the stability in coaching there. To me that is how it is hard to judge any drafts before these last two, because we had incompetent coaching and turnover in our coaching. 2019 Draft is looking above average with Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Gaskin, while 2020 does have massive potential. Overall it appears to me that Grier is pretty good at trading, below average on contracts, and drafting I find it hard to form a strong opinion on because it relies so much on Grier getting what the coach requests and on the coaches developing them.
That's a great point. Coach, GM and front office have to work together. The stable franchises are those that can develop talent and aren't turning over coaches every three years. Miami hasn't been in that position.

I do like that Grier has been willing to be bold. Not too many GM's would advocate tearing it down and building back up. That's not job security and owners are, generally, impatient. Even if you make all the right moves, it could mean a few down years before things turnaround. By then, you could be out of a job.

Again, not necessarily advocating Grier. I think his drafts have been a tick above average and he still has a lot to prove. Agree that the 2020 and 2021 drafts will determine his future.

All the teams that draft good usually have elite qbs.

Until then, every draft will be C-. That allows weapons to look better, that allows the OL to look better.

Pittsburgh isn't some super WR farm, they just have Big Ben to make em look special.

He's objectively a terrible drafter and worse G.M. This isn't even worth debating any longer. Just because that was his first official year as G.M. does not mean he wasn't instrumental in our drafts for the last decade and a half which his defenders conveniently dismiss because it doesn't fit their agenda. It's extremely rare that you give a G.M. that caused the need for a rebuild, the keys to the franchise for another rebuild. But Ross is such a buffoon when it comes to football that's exactly what he's signed off on.

Back
Top Bottom