Clowney's asking price is dropping | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clowney's asking price is dropping

He turned us down twice, once when he was with the Texans and once at the beginning of free agency. Still it would of been a great get for us and he seems like a perfect fit for how Flores wants his DE to play. To late now we just signed 2.

I know people like the fashionable spending big on D with a young O, but I am not one for having a lot of big money guys on a team. One or two on each side of the ball is fine. But adding Clowney and another albatross of a contract like Suh's would shift the team's dynamic to too much money on D. I like the mid/value signings we have done this year. I like the B. Jones signing and I think we should see how the Jones/X situation plays out. I think they are looking to X to make this tandem special (health). If he can stay healthy, these two will be a force for a few years. But I'm hoping this doesn't turn into "hoping" these two start earning the money they are paid. And I definitely don't want a 3rd guy on D making that kind of money (with his attitude and history) creating more "hope they play like paid" scenario. I think that would fail almost immediately. You need hungry guys at the bottom keeping the top earners honest. Too much high priced egos rarely leads to a great team.

Clowney made his choice. Let him get paid somewhere else. He didn't want to be here when he had the chance. He doesn't want to be here. So, don't pay him to change his mind. It will only last until the check clears.

I like the Dolphins who want to be Dolphins. I get the mercenary nature of Free Agency but don't need someone that thought they were above us. Just me.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Last year the team had a firesale. This year they offered him $18M, and he wanted $20M. If Miami offered him $20M two weeks ago, and he refused, then yes, he can go elsewhere.

A bunch of you guys seem to think that just because he (if) ends up signing here, we will get the "best" that he has. I doubt that very seriously. He will get paid and then slough off. I'm not a fan, never will be. We have tried that approach before....Suh, Marshall, etc. and it never works. I would rather have players WANT to play here. It seems that we have shown lately, that we WILL pay players for success and their desire to play in Miami.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Last year the team had a firesale. This year they offered him $18M, and he wanted $20M. If Miami offered him $20M two weeks ago, and he refused, then yes, he can go elsewhere.
Nah. I'm looking at it my way. You go look at it your way.

I would take him at 18 mil per year or let him walk. We will find a way either way.

IMO I don't want him. and think a NT probably gotten in draft is more our issue But News is

Free agent Jadeveon Clowney has lowered his asking price.

Clowney is asking for around $17 million per year...

yeah i'm not paying $17-18m for a guy who has never produced double digit sacks and coming off a 3 sack season. Clowney fits the classic profile of a guy who will disappear entirely after getting his big pay day.

How do you feel about the Byron Jones (79 games started...TWO career INTs) signing?

A lot of you are taking this way too personally. :lol:

Jadeveon Clowney doesn't care about your fandom, nor should he. His job is playing in the NFL. At 27, this is likely his last chance at a big money contract. His career could be cut short at anytime. Good on him for trying to squeeze teams as much as he can.

Lol get off of your high horse. This happens everyday in the workforce. Should you just take a job with Apple because you've always been a huge fan of the iPhone? Even if Samsung might be willing to pay you more? Hell no. Everyone wants to be paid market value or higher.

Clowney is no different.

Fans are so hungry for talent they sometimes get delirious lol... Clowney is a good talent and an upgrade but I don't see a fit and the sting of Suh is still in my butt .... prima donna types don't work here IMO
If they didn't think he was a great fit they wouldn't of tried to trade for him during the 2019 season with the Texans then turn around and try to pick him up as a FA offering him 17 mil a yr, you only do that with players you really want. Suh was given a bad contract no doubt.

Still Clown numbers. Dude thinks he’s Von Miller. He’s only worth like 12m year unless a team wants to pay him to occupy IR for a few games.

Channing Crowder told a story a few times about his agent's strategy when they negotiated an extension. He said he and his agent took Brian Urlacher's contract, used white out over his name and wrote Channing's name instead. That was their first offer. :lol:

He told the story better than me, but he said he knew he wasn't as good as Brian Urlacher. Doesn't matter. It's a negotiation. I'm sure Clowney realized he wouldn't get his first offer. That doesn't happen much with a contract negotiation. You start out with a ridiculous number and "meet in the middle" so both sides can feel like they won. Happens all the time.

A month and a half ago Clowney had value and was a need for our team. Now not necessary.

Now because of FA we picked up our DE, Edge rushers With Ogbah, Wilkins, Shaq, Van Noy, and the glaring need now is up the middle. We badly need that DT & NT to solidify that middle, which IMO we will pick up somewhere in the first 2nd. or 3rd. rds.

Yeah, Clowney's asking price is dropping ... and so has his stock since he got injured before the draft. Ultra-talented, but not productive enough. Partially because of injuries which have ravaged his play time, and partially because he was used out of position a lot. Still, teams pay for production. Only the bad franchises pay for unrealized potential in FA.

Back
Top Bottom