Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason?

I'm a defense guy. If theres no QB they believe in, this offseason needs to be about defense, oline and overall depth. In my opinion.
We have more needs, than can effectively be dealt with, in one offseason.

It's a fluid situation, within a general framework.

A lot of our draft will depend on the "value" we found in free agency.

If we address the O-line with free agents, we will almost certainly have to use high picks on pass rusher, and DB positions.

If no reasonably priced FA O-line talent can be signed, then that will need to be addressed in the draft.

I DO NOT We drafted Ronnie Brown second and won nothing

We’ve drafted every position in round 1 and won nothing. But I kind of agree with the premise. I will say that if Harris runs a sub 4.5 forty I’d draft him with Houston’s pick. His blocking and receiving skills have drastically changed my view.

But to answer the OP, you could draft Chase Young and Derrick Brown in round one an instantly have one of the best DL’s in the NFL. I think it would be easier to build a top five D. Then you’ve got 2021 draft to build the offense. It’s not how things are done and won’t happen but it’s a fun exercise.

Now that Tua's out of the top overall picture, I have to say Young, unless he is gone. I just don't think Herbert is a top 5 pick. Potential is there but if and how long are the questions on him. With the 5 picks in the first two rounds we should come up with 3-4 starters and more 2nd round picks. It kinda sucks having to talk about next year, all this ****ing year...

We have more needs, than can effectively be dealt with, in one offseason.

It's a fluid situation, within a general framework.

A lot of our draft will depend on the "value" we found in free agency.

If we address the O-line with free agents, we will almost certainly have to use high picks on pass rusher, and DB positions.

If no reasonably priced FA O-line talent can be signed, then that will need to be addressed in the draft.
Yup. Build the team. Keep going after the QB. Eventually something may stick if we get lucky. But build a team that can lift him up until he gets it all figured out.

I know hearing the word dominant can cause a few snickers around here, or worse yet images of the New England Patriots. But with cash to spend and draft picks galore, can the Miami Dolphins get there in one offseason, at least on one side of the ball? I'm a defensive first guy, but I think the most work needs to be done on the offensive side, especially when you consider Miami most likely has a new quarterback in 2020. And, most likely, a high draft pick at the position.

So, for the sake of discussion here are some thoughts on how to get in done on offense with the concentration of draft picks and free agent dollars going there.

Free agency --- big three adds --- Brandon Scherff, OG/OT, Derrick Henry RB, Joe Thuney, OG.

Draft (first two rounds)
1. Justin Herbert, QB
1. Henry Ruggs III, Wr
1. Creed Humphrey, C
2. Travis Etienne, RB
2. Trey Adams, OT

Offensive line: Adams, LT, Deiter, LG, Humphrey C, Thuney OG, Scherff, RT (Davis, Calhoun, Boehm, Prince top backups)
Quarterbacks: Herbert, Fitzpatrick, Rosen
Running Backs: Henry, Etienne, Laird, Cox, Gaskins
Wide Receivers: Parker, Williams, Ruggs, Grant, Hurd
Tight Ends: Gesicki, Smythe, Walford

Thoughts, other ideas. Would welcome discussion on defense as well.

Miami could help themselves considerably with that type of an off-season, but no reason to make it so exclusive to one side.

Instead of taking an offensive player with the 2nd #1 pick (Especially Receiver where Miami will be better then fine once Williams returns), we could take the best DE still on the board, and with the first 2nd round pick, bring in the best DB (Whether it be Safety or Corner) still on the board instead of a RB (Especially if we do bring in Henry).

With what you have up there, with my 2 changes, we now have a much better Offense, and Defense, yet we have still not drafted in 3rd round and beyond where we can bring in more talent, as well as FA, where Grier found some good talent in 2019.

We’ve drafted every position in round 1 and won nothing. But I kind of agree with the premise. I will say that if Harris runs a sub 4.5 forty I’d draft him with Houston’s pick. His blocking and receiving skills have drastically changed my view.

My actual point was and I didn't explain as well as I should have is I don't want a boat load of money locked up in a RB. Those RB's were making QB money and in today's NFL the money needs to be tied in to the QB, OL and some WRs. There is always value in rounds 3, 4, and 5 for RBs to be found. As a matter of fact I'd just run a RB carousel every four years.

Good question. I don’t know but just not Herbert. If we draft him, I’ll definitely hope I’m wrong but that downfield accuracy just doesn’t fly in the nfl. I really liked Fromm but it’s been an ugly year for him. Maybe still Tua as long as we’re not passing on chase young
The other option that may come into play, especially if Miami gets Young, is to draft a high upside quarterback like Love. In that scenario, he probably sits a year behind Fitzpatrick. For impatient Dolphin fans, that would be hard to have to play wait and see.

But to answer the OP, you could draft Chase Young and Derrick Brown in round one an instantly have one of the best DL’s in the NFL. I think it would be easier to build a top five D. Then you’ve got 2021 draft to build the offense. It’s not how things are done and won’t happen but it’s a fun exercise.
Exactly. I just wanted to see how it "could look" with all that capital spent on one side. Interesting look on defense as well. Young and Brown would be a dream start to the draft. Young is still in play at #1 overall, although if Cincinnati is there hard to see them passing on a quarterback.

Miami could use a modified SF, NO approach. Sign Teddy Bridgewater in free agency, get a couple of starting offensive lineman in free agency, and shift gears to defense in the draft. Lots of really good corners, a couple of nice pass rushers besides Young as well.

The other option that may come into play, especially if Miami gets Young, is to draft a high upside quarterback like Love. In that scenario, he probably sits a year behind Fitzpatrick. For impatient Dolphin fans, that would be hard to have to play wait and see.
I’d be fine with that minus the Fitzpatrick part. He’ll be 38 I think by next yr. I’d be fine with a FA QB not sure who’s available

TBH, regardless of which QB we may draft, he will probably sit initially, whether it be behind Fitz, or Rosen.

Not only do I think it's a good idea in general, I doubt any rookie can be proficient in all the aspects of this offense, to the point that Flo throws him out there.

I like qb top pick and friermuth the tight end and matos edge haul with our top 3

won’t help the o line but it would be a nice talent add.

and at the end when you are miami bad talent should be a primary thing imo

big fan of that penn state tight end.

Back
Top Bottom