Culpepper...will he return to form? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper...will he return to form?

bluehaze said:
I just don't see how you can call Harrington a lousy starter, say he will never be good with any team ever and then follow that statement up by saying Culpepper is a solid QB. Harrington has done far better as a Dolphin than Culpepper has, the last solid season Culpepper has had will be three years removed going into next season.

Harrington is the cheaper option, Culpepper is going into his ninth season next year and has played on some very good teams. Obviously he's shown what he has and that he is on the decline at this point. Harrington on the other hand has never played for a good team and has alot more unanswered questions with regard to his future.

How can you be more confident someone who has never had a good year will have one, then someone who has been an elite QB will not return to form? You base this on 4 games where culpepper was injured but played well at times and badly at times.

Culpepper is a 3-time pro-bowler. Joey Harrington is a ... He's never accomplished anything, But you want to keep Harrington and groom someone under him? Over a 3-time pro-bowler? If you weren't on a Phins site I think you would be laughed off.

Minnesota let go of Culpepper for a reason, he demanded a trade. From this point on, NOBODY should say Minny let go Daunte for a reason and insinuate it was based on injuries or ability.

Does anyone research anything anymore or do they just spew the same inaccurate facts over and over?

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/168837.html

Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said Friday in the Vikings' Winter Park locker room. "That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."
"We saw Daunte Culpepper work out first, and I thought I would never see another workout like that as long as I lived," Childress said. "The next workout was Donovan McNabb. And saw another one ... that was mind-boggling. "In my mind, we got the No. 1 player, but Daunte was a very close second. He fits right into all the things that we'll do."

Fineas said:
I think Culpepper will return to form. The "Culpepper Manifesto-Looking Back and Looking Forward" is up in VIP, as a VIP-only commentary, and explains why. As the author, I may be biased, but it is pretty unique. I don't think there is anything else quite like it on the internet or elsewhere.

:wink: One of the best articles I've ever read

volk said:
OK, I know the board is deeply divided on the Joey/Culpepper issue, but what I am far more interested in knowing, is how many of you feel that Culpepper will regain his pro bowl form and actually be the man of the future in Miami?

I know, it is only speculation and guessing about his health, etc., but how many of you really feel Daunte will get to 100% and completely revive his career, and how many of you believe that our real QB of the future isn't on the team yet?
The problem I see with Daunte is that even if he gets back to his "pro bowl form" is that during his best year 2004 all he could do was lead his team to an 8-8 record in the worst division in football. The worst part being his team finished the season 3-7 (a common theme for Daunte led teams) after starting 5-1. The only team they beat with a winning record was Jacksonville at 9-7.

Keep in mind 4 of the last 6 years have been absolutely disasterous with Daunte at QB. He was also 100% healthy in 2002 when he posted these numbers:

18 TD passes 23 Interceptions 47 sacks / -244 yards, 23 fumbles 9 lost.

It is much more likely we are going to get the above numbers than his 04 numbers.

TexanPhinatic said:
Sometimes a QB can take alot of time like Romo, sometimes a year on the bench is good (Carson Palmer) and sometimes they can just jump in and be great (Peyton).

But i mean, most of the best QBs in the game right now have BEEN DRAFTED BY THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR!! Not getting into specific rounds, but listen-Brady, Manning, Palmer, Phil Rivers, Ben R (yes hes struggling this year), McNabb, and some youngsters like V Yound and Leinart.

some teams took undrafted QBs and turned them into a success, but again the theme is the same, they have only been in 1 club, such as Romo and Delhomme.

Drew Brees is an abberration, not many guys get traded/cut/released and become superstars. It happens yes, more than once yes, but it really seems that drafting is the way to go.

Just look at us! Marino-drafted by us, greatest QB of alltime: After Marino-jack.

BTW-Whats with all the Cleo stuff?? If the guy is as good as so many have said, why hasnt he gotten a chance yet?? I mean, if hes gonna be our future star youd think hed have a game under his belt by now. Sorry, hes not bad, but hes backup material.

Palmers first year as a starter was awfull, Peytons rookie year was awfull,
Marc Bulger is quite good and played for a bunch of teams before being given a chance to start at STL... And thats just present, dang it took Moon 8 years to be even on an NFL roster...

RenoFinFan said:
The problem I see with Daunte is that even if he gets back to his "pro bowl form" is that during his best year 2004 all he could do was lead his team to an 8-8 record in the worst division in football. The worst part being his team finished the season 3-7 (a common theme for Daunte led teams) after starting 5-1. The only team they beat with a winning record was Jacksonville at 9-7.

Keep in mind 4 of the last 6 years have been absolutely disasterous with Daunte at QB. He was also 100% healthy in 2002 when he posted these numbers:

It is much more likely we are going to get the above numbers than his 04 numbers.

forgot to mention 607 rushing yards and 10 rushing tds

and 2001 wasn't a horrible year. wasn't a great year but far from horrible. 83 rating.....how bad can you really be?

RenoFinFan said:

Wasnt back then when Minny Oline was awfull? Wasnt that a year with new coach and coordinator? Wasnt that the first year without Chris Carter, Reed and Robert Smith? Dang THIS is an example of misleading stats...

RenoFinFan said:
The problem I see with Daunte is that even if he gets back to his "pro bowl form" is that during his best year 2004 all he could do was lead his team to an 8-8 record in the worst division in football. The worst part being his team finished the season 3-7 (a common theme for Daunte led teams) after starting 5-1. .

So when Daunte has a bad defense (and great MVP hall of fame stats mind you) and loses it's his fault. but when joey loses with bad defense (like yesterday) it's Miami's fault and not Joey's? double standard?

Joey 22 said:
Palmers first year as a starter was awfull, Peytons rookie year was awfull,
Marc Bulger is quite good and played for a bunch of teams before being given a chance to start at STL... And thats just present, dang it took Moon 8 years to be even on an NFL roster...

No, neither Palmer or Mannings first years were "awful." Their records werent great, nor did they put up massive numbers, but they made it very clear what kind of players they would be in 1-2 years, which is what you want with those kinds of players.

Yes, draftees bomb. Guess what, they do at all positions. But in the current NFL there is much more success from drafted QBs than FAs, which is why I have no idea why people are hating on this concept.

As for my final say on Culpepper. He looked awful this season, just awful. The rest of the team didnt help either, but damn he just looked bad. I wouldnt be upset if he gets a final shot next year, but if he doesnt show a marked improvement its time to cut losses. I WILL be upset somewhat if we dont make an effort to get a QB for the future in the draft. Ideally, Pepper comes back and plays pretty well for a year or two while Quinn or Brohm sits on the bench, then we make a successfull transition over the youngster.

OFC when has anything ideal happened for the phins :rolleyes:

TexanPhinatic said:
But in the current NFL there is much more success from drafted QBs than FAs, which is why I have no idea why people are hating on this concept.

It's not the concept some people are contesting, it's the need to implement the concept--or rather, the lack thereof.

We don't need to draft a QB, nor will we be drafting high enough to have a chance of snagging Quinn or Brohm.

Desides said:
It's not the concept some people are contesting, it's the need to implement the concept--or rather, the lack thereof.

We don't need to draft a QB, nor will we be drafting high enough to have a chance of snagging Quinn or Brohm.

We do need to, and there is a damn good chance we will be able to snag one of them. As it is, I think our draft position is 13, and i wouldnt expect it to stray TO far from that, up or down. In that spot Quinn will be gone, but Brohm could easily be there. Refresh me, what spots did Leinart and Cutler go in? We will see whats available. I dont think we need to make a huge reach, but we do need to take something in round 1-2. Im not gonna pass up Brohm for a "maybe Culpepper will be back" or "joey harrington is our starter"

Give Pepper a shot if he recovers physically, draft a QB in round 1-2, then in TC find out if Joey or Culpepper is playing at a higher level, cut the lesser and start the better until our rookie is ready, then pull an anti-SD and actually get some value for Pepper/Harrington back :tongue:

TexanPhinatic said:
No, neither Palmer or Mannings first years were "awful." Their records werent great, nor did they put up massive numbers, but they made it very clear what kind of players they would be in 1-2 years, which is what you want with those kinds of players.

Yes, draftees bomb. Guess what, they do at all positions. But in the current NFL there is much more success from drafted QBs than FAs, which is why I have no idea why people are hating on this concept.

As for my final say on Culpepper. He looked awful this season, just awful. The rest of the team didnt help either, but damn he just looked bad. I wouldnt be upset if he gets a final shot next year, but if he doesnt show a marked improvement its time to cut losses. I WILL be upset somewhat if we dont make an effort to get a QB for the future in the draft. Ideally, Pepper comes back and plays pretty well for a year or two while Quinn or Brohm sits on the bench, then we make a successfull transition over the youngster.

OFC when has anything ideal happened for the phins :rolleyes:

Nice post and this is exactly where I stand on the QB issue as far as this organization needing to continue their search for QB prospects and in Culpepper needing to prove himself.

Trust me when I say I hope Culpepper does revert to a solid level of play.

Bottom line is that if he dosen't it's just another bad decision that sets us back even further in trying to rebuild this team into a solid winner.

On the flip side, if he comes back next year and plays at a top level we could probably be in a position to do some damage in the postseason.... assuming we make the right moves in FA and the draft.

Culpepper is like the proverbial steak that's been cooking for 5 hours. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

Back
Top Bottom