Culpepper...will he return to form? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper...will he return to form?

TexanPhinatic said:
Sometimes a QB can take alot of time like Romo, sometimes a year on the bench is good (Carson Palmer) and sometimes they can just jump in and be great (Peyton).

But i mean, most of the best QBs in the game right now have BEEN DRAFTED BY THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR!! Not getting into specific rounds, but listen-Brady, Manning, Palmer, Phil Rivers, Ben R (yes hes struggling this year), McNabb, and some youngsters like V Yound and Leinart.

some teams took undrafted QBs and turned them into a success, but again the theme is the same, they have only been in 1 club, such as Romo and Delhomme.

Drew Brees is an abberration, not many guys get traded/cut/released and become superstars. It happens yes, more than once yes, but it really seems that drafting is the way to go.

Just look at us! Marino-drafted by us, greatest QB of alltime: After Marino-jack.

BTW-Whats with all the Cleo stuff?? If the guy is as good as so many have said, why hasnt he gotten a chance yet?? I mean, if hes gonna be our future star youd think hed have a game under his belt by now. Sorry, hes not bad, but hes backup material.

Jake Delhomme played his first 5 years in New Orleans..

Oh and: Brett Favre, Trent Green, Matt Hasselbeck and Steve McNair would probably disagree with your assesment..

Dolfan984 said:
The team had a brand new coach and wanted to go in a new direction. Who else do you want at QB? Harrington? :lol: The point is, Daunte is 29 and we don't get crap for cap relief for cutting him this offseason. I said it's all well and fine to draft a QB, but you need someone in there for the meantime. You don't know that a healthy Daunte is going to fail. It just seems like that's what you and some other people on this board want.

No i dont want Harrington, I want to draft our own QB. And while Mannings rookie record WAS 3-13 he showed very well what he would become. That team around him just blew. We laugh at his playoff record, but before he came that team was a laughingstock.
We can keep Pepper around for a year, see what hes like next year. But I dont think we just assume he will be all better both physically and mentally and just give the job just because he was in a few ProBowls a few years ago.

Im of the opinion also that Daunte was at least partially a product of that minny O with Carter and Moss and bennet and those great OLinemen. Sorry, I just havent seen anything out of him that would warrent us placing alot of faith in him.

TexanPhinatic said:
BTW-Whats with all the Cleo stuff?? If the guy is as good as so many have said, why hasnt he gotten a chance yet?? I mean, if hes gonna be our future star youd think hed have a game under his belt by now. Sorry, hes not bad, but hes backup material.

Same could be said for Romo before this season..

I'm not saying that Cleo is another Romo (but who knows?), just that I would rather draft to fill other needs..

Furious Yellow said:
Jake Delhomme played his first 5 years in New Orleans..

Oh and: Brett Favre, Trent Green, Matt Hasselbeck and Steve McNair would probably disagree with your assesment..

my bad on delhomme, wasnt really sure with him. And yes some of those guys are doing/have done really well, but what did i say? Did you read all the way? I said that trades can work, but drafting seems to be more effective. You listed 4, i listed more :D

TexanPhinatic said:
No i dont want Harrington, I want to draft our own QB. And while Mannings rookie record WAS 3-13 he showed very well what he would become. That team around him just blew. We laugh at his playoff record, but before he came that team was a laughingstock.
We can keep Pepper around for a year, see what hes like next year. But I dont think we just assume he will be all better both physically and mentally and just give the job just because he was in a few ProBowls a few years ago.

Im of the opinion also that Daunte was at least partially a product of that minny O with Carter and Moss and bennet and those great OLinemen. Sorry, I just havent seen anything out of him that would warrent us placing alot of faith in him.

That's all well and good. I'm giving him one more year to prove himself too. Drafting a Qb is all well in good, but you need someone to start in the meantime. Manning's and Marino's come once every 20 years.

TexanPhinatic said:
my bad on delhomme, wasnt really sure with him. And yes some of those guys are doing/have done really well, but what did i say? Did you read all the way? I said that trades can work, but drafting seems to be more effective. You listed 4, i listed more :D
Well, when you think about.. It sorta makes sense that when a team drafts a good QB he's going to be playing for them..

I'm not disagreeing as much with the premise of your post. But untill someone can make a list like that of QB's before the draft, it doesn't help all that much :D

TexanPhinatic said:

How many great Olinemen did Daunte have in Minnesota? Matt Birk? Name one other pro-bowler since 2001.

korey stringer?? and before that Todd Steussie and Randall McDaniel. And didnt they draft Bryant McKinney who many people on this board were wanting to try and bring down here? Forget the guys name though.

And ofc Moss and Carter.

EDIT-Stringer was in 2000 sorry. But since then there havent been many teams with 2 PBs in the same year, and none with 3. So its not the PB is a be-all indicator, especially along the lines where fewer people vote and almost always along team lines or history. You tend to see the same guys over and over

TexanPhinatic said:
korey stringer?? and before that Todd Steussie and Randall McDaniel. And didnt they draft a big LT who many people on this board were wanting to try and bring down here? Forget the guys name though.

And ofc Moss and Carter.

Bryant McKinney (sp?) from da U. Didn't allow a sack his entire college career.

Carter left the Vikings after 2001 and Culpepper clearly got the twilight years out of him (though he was still pretty solid)

He never had Ronnie or Ricky (next year) and it's not like our skill positions players are scrubs. Just 3/5ths of the o-line are.

TexanPhinatic said:
korey stringer?? and before that Todd Steussie and Randall McDaniel. And didnt they draft a big LT who many people on this board were wanting to try and bring down here? Forget the guys name though.

And ofc Moss and Carter.

EDIT-Bryant McKinney??

Korey String died in training camp in 2001. Todd Stessie left as a free agent to play for Carolina in 2001. Randall McDaniel never even blocked for Culpepper (except for a couple of plays)- he went to Tampa Bay as a free agent in 2000.

Bryant McKinney has never made the pro bowl. He's good - but hasn't been considered great yet.

Moss and Carter were olinemen? I think I understand where you're coming from now. la-la-land.

I have some serious doubts that he will..

hof13 said:
Korey String died in training camp in 2001. Todd Stessie left as a free agent to play for Carolina in 2001. Randall McDaniel never even blocked for Culpepper (except for a couple of plays)- he went to Tampa Bay as a free agent in 2000.

Bryant McKinney has never made the pro bowl. He's good - but hasn't been considered great yet.

Moss and Carter were olinemen? I think I understand where you're coming from now. la-la-land.

Yeah cause i said moss and carter were olinemen, right ....
Sorry, but that was just idiotic. Anyway i did some editing to my post, not in time though ;)

Carter was indeed in the twilight years, but still a very good player. He wasnta gamebreaker, but the dude caught EVERYTHING thown to him. He had hands of glue. And Randy was just the best reciever period. Now im not saying Daunte was a success solely because of these guys, but Im sure he was in part. Minny has had some great offenses for awhile, before Cpep came in they were already putting up some big numbers. The guy has talent, but I just dont see him as becoming that same QB again. I think thats why Minny let him go and I think thats why we got him for less than a first. Frankly, im surprised we couldnt get him for a third.

As for the probowl, everyone knows the thing is just a popularity contest. The lines especially are something people tend to vote their teams players for. And how many linemen get electected every year versus how many there are?? You can miss the probowl and still be a stud. No shame in losing out to Orlando Pace or Steve Hutchinson or people of that caliber.

SkapePhin said:
I have some serious doubts that he will..

You should still support and hope he can. Everyone has doubts, but it's not like he's ancient or that nobody has ever come back from injury before.

TexanPhinatic said:
Yeah cause i said moss and carter were olinemen, right ....
Sorry, but that was just idiotic. Anyway i did some editing to my post, not in time though ;)

Carter was indeed in the twilight years, but still a very good player. He wasnta gamebreaker, but the dude caught EVERYTHING thown to him. He had hands of glue. And Randy was just the best reciever period. Now im not saying Daunte was a success solely because of these guys, but Im sure he was in part. Minny has had some great offenses for awhile, before Cpep came in they were already putting up some big numbers. The guy has talent, but I just dont see him as becoming that same QB again. I think thats why Minny let him go and I think thats why we got him for less than a first. Frankly, im surprised we couldnt get him for a third.

As for the probowl, everyone knows the thing is just a popularity contest. The lines especially are something people tend to vote their teams players for. And how many linemen get electected every year versus how many there are?? You can miss the probowl and still be a stud. No shame in losing out to Orlando Pace or Steve Hutchinson or people of that caliber.

It's all good, Texan! It's a great day to be a dolphin's fan - but every day is a great day to be a dolphin's fan!

My main point is that's easy to remember that the Vikings have had great offensive linemen - Jeff Christy, Randall McDaniel, Todd Stessie, Korey Stringer, and Matt Birk - but none of them except Birk has contributed since 2001. He did get really good protection in 2004 - but it didn't take a bunch of "great" offensive linemen to do it.

hof13 said:
It's all good, Texan! It's a great day to be a dolphin's fan - but every day is a great day to be a dolphin's fan!

My main point is that's easy to remember that the Vikings have had great offensive linemen - Jeff Christy, Randall McDaniel, Todd Stessie, Korey Stringer, and Matt Birk - but none of them except Birk has contributed since 2001. He did get really good protection in 2004 - but it didn't take a bunch of "great" offensive linemen to do it.

My point was that he has had good support and a good system behind him during those great years. Since then, as Minny has deteriorated as a whole, so has he, culminating in that massive injury. Perhaps if we can rebuild the offense to the kind that Pepper had in Minny he will rebound and post those years. But i think thats a big risk to take for someone who, even if healthy and playing well will only be here for a few years.

Id much rather draft someone who will be here for 10years leading us to multiple SBs.

Back
Top Bottom