Culpepper...will he return to form? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper...will he return to form?

TexanPhinatic said:
My point was that he has had good support and a good system behind him during those great years. Since then, as Minny has deteriorated as a whole, so has he, culminating in that massive injury. Perhaps if we can rebuild the offense to the kind that Pepper had in Minny he will rebound and post those years. But i think thats a big risk to take for someone who, even if healthy and playing well will only be here for a few years.

Id much rather draft someone who will be here for 10years leading us to multiple SBs.

He deteriorated in 2004? Man, I hope he deteriorates like that for us next year.

So much depends on Daunte getting back to his probowl self....

The team, Saban, and his career. If he doesn't do well in Miami I don't know what team will give him another chance..

hof13 said:
He deteriorated in 2004? Man, I hope he deteriorates like that for us next year.

Mostly in 2005 in that horrendous stretch before he blew out his knee. That was awful. And while i dont see him being THAT bad again, I just honestly cant see him ever being as good as he was. Hell, if he does and im eating crow, great. Ive been wrong before! But ive been right before too. Hard to tell which it is now.

But, in my OPINION, I didnt see anything from Pepper that would lead me to believe we are in for another couple of probowl years. Either way, he isnt a long term solution at QB, and if one drops into our laps such as Quinn or Brohm we have to seize the day and take him.

Most teams with great QBs drafted them, and thats where we have had our most successfull one come from. Why not go back??

TexanPhinatic said:
Sorry even if he is healthy Pepper just isnt gonna cut it. Why does everyone think a running QB is gonna magically regain the form he had about 4 years ago when he was playing with all stars and future hall of famers?

Culpepper is not a running QB. I'm so tired of hearing this. When Culpepper runs out of the pocket, he doesn't do that to gain yardage like Michael Vick. He does it to extend a play, give his receivers extra time to get open, and possibly draw some coverage to help those guys get open. That ability helps him in other ways besides getting his receivers open: he can avoid blitzes, for example.

It's really depressing that so many people are willing to cast Culpepper off as if he hasn't already proven himself in this league.

TexanPhinatic said:
Mostly in 2005 in that horrendous stretch before he blew out his knee. That was awful.

So, losing his offensive coordinator, the receivers he played with for years, and standing behind a new offensive line are factors to be ignored? The blame is to be placed solely on Culpepper choking? Come on.

Oh, and let's not forget that Culpepper injured his knee against Tampa Bay early in the 2005 season. What Tampa started, Carolina finished.

Culpeppers career was on the decline before he ever came here. I wish I could look at Culpepper getting healthy as the end all of the QB problems this team has had over the years but unfortunately I just see it as prolonging the problems.

I would rather stick with Harrington next year and draft a QB to groom under him. There is no quick fix here, the Vikes let Daunte go for a reason. Now we can either spend the next few years running in place while we try to figure that out on our own or we can do the smart thing and draft a QB to groom for the future.

We will never find a franchise QB through free agency simply because there will never be a franchise QB available in free agancy.

There are some FA QB stars, like Favre. But the majority are drafted by a team, play the majority of their career with them (with the sometimes exception of the lagging tailend when they have lost alot).

Our two best QBs and hall of famers, Greise and Marino-BOTH first rounders! Why oh why do we insist on trying to use FA for our QB needs? Why do we have to hang on to this shred of hope that he comes back and lights it up again? Why is everyone so opposed to the main source of QB talent? Whats with hating on drafting a QB for ourselves?? IT WORKS!! Yes, there are failures, some pretty bad ones too, but there are many more successes there than in FA.

TexanPhinatic said:
There are some FA QB stars, like Favre. But the majority are drafted by a team, play the majority of their career with them (with the sometimes exception of the lagging tailend when they have lost alot).

Our two best QBs and hall of famers, Greise and Marino-BOTH first rounders! Why oh why do we insist on trying to use FA for our QB needs? Why do we have to hang on to this shred of hope that he comes back and lights it up again? Why is everyone so opposed to the main source of QB talent? Whats with hating on drafting a QB for ourselves?? IT WORKS!! Yes, there are failures, some pretty bad ones too, but there are many more successes there than in FA.

It's a no brainer...young QBs take time to develop. It's not everyday that you get Dan Marino or Ben Roethsliberger who has the intangibles to win immediately. Some times you luck up and get young Qbs like Carson Palmer and Philip Rivers who become stars after waiting, but more often than not you strike out with that pick and get people like Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and Akili Smith.

TexanPhinatic said:
Mostly in 2005 in that horrendous stretch before he blew out his knee. That was awful. And while i dont see him being THAT bad again, I just honestly cant see him ever being as good as he was. Hell, if he does and im eating crow, great. Ive been wrong before! But ive been right before too. Hard to tell which it is now.

But, in my OPINION, I didnt see anything from Pepper that would lead me to believe we are in for another couple of probowl years. Either way, he isnt a long term solution at QB, and if one drops into our laps such as Quinn or Brohm we have to seize the day and take him.

Most teams with great QBs drafted them, and thats where we have had our most successfull one come from. Why not go back??

I'll take a 2003 Culpepper. something like 25 tds and 10-12 ints

bluehaze said:
Culpeppers career was on the decline before he ever came here. I wish I could look at Culpepper getting healthy as the end all of the QB problems this team has had over the years but unfortunately I just see it as prolonging the problems.

I would rather stick with Harrington next year and draft a QB to groom under him. There is no quick fix here, the Vikes let Daunte go for a reason. Now we can either spend the next few years running in place while we try to figure that out on our own or we can do the smart thing and draft a QB to groom for the future.

We will never find a franchise QB through free agency simply because there will never be a franchise QB available in free agancy.

nah man, you gotta see if Daunte can be the franchise guy

harrington isn't and will never be with any other team ever ever

theres no point in playing harrington next year unless injuries (again)

you can groom a Qb but it doesn't mean you have to have a lousy starter (harrington) when you have a chance at a very solid one

Dolfan984 said:
nah man, you gotta see if Daunte can be the franchise guy

harrington isn't and will never be with any other team ever ever

theres no point in playing harrington next year unless injuries (again)

you can groom a Qb but it doesn't mean you have to have a lousy starter (harrington) when you have a chance at a very solid one

I just don't see how you can call Harrington a lousy starter, say he will never be good with any team ever and then follow that statement up by saying Culpepper is a solid QB. Harrington has done far better as a Dolphin than Culpepper has, the last solid season Culpepper has had will be three years removed going into next season.

Harrington is the cheaper option, Culpepper is going into his ninth season next year and has played on some very good teams. Obviously he's shown what he has and that he is on the decline at this point. Harrington on the other hand has never played for a good team and has alot more unanswered questions with regard to his future.

bluehaze said:
I just don't see how you can call Harrington a lousy starter, say he will never be good with any team ever and then follow that statement up by saying Culpepper is a solid QB. Harrington has done far better as a Dolphin than Culpepper has, the last solid season Culpepper has had will be three years removed going into next season.

Harrington is the cheaper option, Culpepper is going into his ninth season next year and has played on some very good teams. Obviously he's shown what he has and that he is on the decline at this point. Harrington on the other hand has never played for a good team and has alot more unanswered questions with regard to his future.

I'm not down on Joey - I think he's great. Great as a backup, as he's done the same thing in Miami as he's done his entire career previous. It's too easy to fall into the trap of "we've won 4 straight". Other than one game, his other 6 starts are the exact same as we've seen from him his entire career. I wanted him to break out, I wanted him to kill the QB controversy, and for close to 6 quarters he did just that. In the end though, here come the "HOLY MFING GOD WTF" interceptions, and it's back to same old Joey. The guy has heart, and he's a great backup, but he's never shown anything more outside of the occasional game or two.

bluehaze said:

Culpepper has been a solid-elite Qb. Not lately but it's not like he's ancient either. Harrington has done better so far than an injured Culpepper, but not good enough to warrant a starter. Harrington is a lousy starter. Good backup though. Kinda like Fiedler would've/should've been in the early 00's.

Culpepper hasn't been on great teams. He's been on great offenses that he was the signal caller for.Culpepper has had 2 seasons with 2:1 TD to int ratio and one season with 3:1 TD to int ratio and that's not even the countless 3rd and whatevers he's picked up with his legs his whole career.

I think Culpepper will return to form. The "Culpepper Manifesto-Looking Back and Looking Forward" is up in VIP, as a VIP-only commentary, and explains why. As the author, I may be biased, but it is pretty unique. I don't think there is anything else quite like it on the internet or elsewhere.

if he can trust his knee and stop thinking too much when he gets onto the field, yes he can. of course this is assuming he gets back to 100%

Back
Top Bottom