Cutler agrees to sign for fins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler agrees to sign for fins

Proves to me that Gase thinks this team has a good chance to be successful this year. If he didn't think that, why bother on a one year deal with Cutler? It's also very obvious that Gase thinks there is a huge gap between RT and Moore. If he thought Moore equals RT, then the QB signed would be cheaper to keep our cap space and not cause a media circus and possible locker room disruption.

Great move imo. Saves the season at least as far as it being watchable. We have a lot of talent too, no reason we can't have a similar record to last year if Cutler plays smart like he did under Gase before.

Cutler's here, so I'm going to support him and hope for the best. The man's got arm talent, that cannot be denied. Let's hope it didn't deteriorate after that shoulder surgery.

That said, I'm pretty disappointed and perplexed with how Gase has handled this situation. In Gase I trust, but this just leaves me shaking my head. Your franchise QB still hasn't made a decision on his injury yet, the guy who saved the season last year and helped push us into the playoffs is ready to step up, and yet he's scrambling to make a text message agreement with Cutler. I'm just not huge on the message that sends to both Tannehill and Moore.

I don't think I've disliked a Gase decision yet, but this just doesn't seem like the way you should conduct yourself.

I would assume Gase knows more about the injury than we do, and that factored in. Unfortunately we need a QB and this is likely the best option going forward

This is a terrible move strictly for cap reasons. $10 million not being rolled over to next year is huge and this possibly costs us Jarvis or another very good player. Horrific.

This is why I'm a proponent of drafting a QB every year. As high as he 3rd round if you think there is one there that can play in this league. Especially if you have a QB with an injured knee that didn't get it fixed.

There no other positions that can derail a season as quickly as a QB going down 4 weeks before game 1. Amy other position and this isn't as castosrophic. I'll never understand why some folks disagree with drafting QB's high if you already have your starter... smh.

What's Matt Moore's trade value? I would demand a trade if I were him. Anyplace for him to start?

Demand a trade? He is one of the lowest paid backups in the NFL (on a non rookie contract). He is perfectly fine in the role he plays and never expected to have to start 16 games.

This is a terrible move strictly for cap reasons. $10 million not being rolled over to next year is huge and this possibly costs us Jarvis or another very good player. Horrific.
Yes losing your starting QB and having to pay another one is not good for cap space.

Well I guess it's official. Tannehill must be out for the year. :(

Cutler is someone who Gase has proven he can work with, knows the system, and can get us through this year. IMHO, he was probably the best option out there because there was no great option.

I guess this is when we figure out who is a real Dolphins fan and who just wants to play Owner/GM/Coach in Madden. It was never "our" decision, it was always up to Gase and the front office. If we trust in Gase, and I do, then we will get behind Cutler and wish him the best, even if our expectations are somewhat lower.

There is no denying that Cutler has some arm talent. He also has done well under Gase. If nothing else, his style should work particularly well with DeVante Parker--a big target who adjusts to the ball very well, Jarvis Landry--who catches everything, and Julius Thomas--a seam threat with size and a large wingspan.

Last year we played some teams close that should have blown us away, such as games at Seattle and at New England. We won some games with very little offense, such as at LA (Rams). We will likely be a hot and cold team this year ... but there are still a lot of reasons for hope. Outside of the QB, our offense has improved with the maturation of Parker and Ajayi. Hopefully, we'll have Pouncey back. We added a big seam threat TE in Julius Thomas and a great run blocking TE in Fasano, who should keep things tight in the locker room.

On Defense our LB corps was abysmal, but now joining our only good LB, Kiko, are a veteran Timmons and a very talented rookie in McMillan. We should be more organized, much better vs. the run, and overall harder to exploit. Our secondary should be considerably better with a healthy Reshad Jones. Add to that, 2 more veteran safeties, we should have 2 real safeties for just about every game, as opposed to having 1 real safety for about 10 games and 0 real safeties for the other 6. That allows Michael Thomas to compete at the Nickel. Also, adding Alteraun Verner heats up that nickel competition considerably. Then with Maxwell able to heal fully, getting the system, and having a year of adjustments to scheme, team and city, we should get more consistently good play from him. Having Xavien Howard healthy is huge. Lippett continues to hone his craft. And adding the rookie Tankersley gives us a bit more depth if we have another season of devastating injuries. Along the DL, we have a fully healthy Wake from the start, so that's an improvement. We have a developing Branch, who was won the starting job last year. We added William Hayes who is a terrific run stuffer and also a solid pass rusher, who will definitely help. We lost a DT, Earl Mitchell, but we gained a pass rushing end in Charles Harris. Its hard not to see this defense being significantly improved.

So, even losing Tannehill, I suspect we will be projected to be the 2nd place finishers in the AFC East. Both Cutler and Moore are gunslingers. This isn't the year we will win the Super Bowl, so we might as well enjoy the roller coaster ride. We might as well embrace it now, because this season will include both ...

The thrill of victory ....

and the agony of defeat.

Last edited:
200.gif

Back
Top Bottom