Dalvin Cook working out in Miami?? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dalvin Cook working out in Miami??

But to sit there and say....We got Mostert and Williams and their 4.9 YPC we are going to control this game rushing the ball.... IMO that 4.9 PC will shrink drastically. Big reason they were not dependable on short yardage plays.

However.... You have Cook in the backfield. You KNOW you have a back that can be utilized for that run game in a run first game plan who's 4.4 ypc won't suffer. He can carry the team and load.
Right. They got 4.9 because they were a sneaky change of pace to Hill and Waddle. The current RB room on it's own is 1. frequently injured. 2. Not capable of consistently getting the yardage they got last year. Sure. They can get lightning in a bottle for a couple games but if we're in the scenario where Tua is down and suddenly the passing offense goes pop gun like it did last year, they are taking the current RB room out of the equation really fast and we're punting a fair amount.

What do you do if you're worried about your passing game falling apart if Tua gets injured again? You beef up the RB room. That means Cook.

I haven't spoken to Achane specifically as I think it would be unfair to really levy any expectations one way or another at a third round rookie.

Is that because of their lack of success over the past 20 years? I get the Heat but the Marlins and Cats can't be considered major competition.

Hell I just checked Ticketmaster 10 minutes ago and there were still plenty of tickets left for tonights ECF game.
I have lived in South Florida since 1961 and over the years, I have rarely seen the players on the professional teams here in a commercials. Marino had some national commercials during his career and Lebron had a few commercial spots nationally during his time in Miami

I just don’t think players sign with teams in South Florida is they are looking to have commercial opportunities. They come here for the weather, no state income taxes and in recent years the chance to make the playoffs and possible win a championship.

Fans in South Florida are fickle and mostly only show up when the teams are winning. That is just the fact of life when you live in an area with a very diverse population and so many individuals who are fans of other teams around the leagues instead of fans of the Miami sports teams.

I have lived in South Florida since 1961 and over the years, I have rarely seen the players on the professional teams here in a commercials. Marino had some national commercials during his career and Lebron had a few commercial spots nationally during his time in Miami

I just don’t think players sign with teams in South Florida is they are looking to have commercial opportunities. They come here for the weather, no state income taxes and in recent years the chance to make the playoffs and possible win a championship.

Fans in South Florida are fickle and mostly only show up when the teams are winning. That is just the fact of life when you live in an area with a very diverse population and so many individuals who are fans of other teams around the leagues instead of fans of the Miami sports teams.
How many since Marino deserved to be on national commercials vs. the players that were? Ricky? He had SAD and didn't want any notoriety. Even JT and Zach only did local stuff except for that ad where JT was stalking Brady.

Agreed.

For me, YES, Moster, Achane and Wilson is "good enough"......
But.....
But...
If Tua goes down again
Are we comfortable running those guys 30+times a game to carry the offense?

It's one thing for them to get 20-25 carries in a pass first offense.

But to sit there and say....We got Mostert and Williams and their 4.9 YPC we are going to control this game rushing the ball.... IMO that 4.9 PC will shrink drastically. Big reason they were not dependable on short yardage plays.

I don't think there's much confidence.

However.... You have Cook in the backfield. You KNOW you have a back that can be utilized for that run game in a run first game plan who's 4.4 ypc won't suffer. He can carry the team and load.
Exactly. And anyway, YPC is kind of a dumb stat. Last year, Jeff Wilson averaged more yards per carry than Christian McCaffrey. Devin Singletary averaged more yards per carry than Jonathan Taylor, Derrick Henry, and Dalvin Cook.

Success running the football is a function of the offense. Mostert and Wilson have per-touch success because of the offense they play in. But they don’t present much of a receiving threat, they aren't reliable in short yardage situations, and they don’t keep defenses honest. Nobody is compromising their pass coverage because they’re afraid of Raheem Mostert or Jeff Wilson tearing them up on the ground.

That is why Mostert and Wilson aren’t in high demand. They’re lowly paid journeymen who have virtually no starting experience except for the Dolphins last year. They can get the job done in one very specific kind of scheme, but that’s about it. They’re backups.

How many since Marino deserved to be on national commercials vs. the players that were? Ricky? He had SAD and didn't want any notoriety. Even JT and Zach only did local stuff except for that ad where JT was stalking Brady.
Thomas and Taylor were all of fame players but they received very little commercial endorsements. Marino’s biggest commercial was for isitoner gloves and no one needs gloves in South Florida unless they are for pulling weeds.

Wilkins and Tua have has a few locale commercials but they certainly aren’t making the money a very mediocre Baker Mayfield made with his nationwide commercials.

I really don't think any fan in their right minds would say "we don't want Dalvin Cook" granted we have some that might raise hell just to raise hell. I think the posters that would say "we don't want DC" are probably really saying "we don't want DC at that cost" But i could be wrong, I'm completely assuming other peoples thoughts, which i do a lot around here, but i try to think most posters are intelligent .

So not wanting him at all is insane.

Wanting him at his current price point is insane.

those two should be absolutes.

In the ideal world, I would say we could find a way to restructure his contract with a sign and trade, that would cut alot of $$$ off his deal, part with a low round pick to the Vikes so they get something out of it, but we guarantee he is ours.

I think that leaves good relations between both teams so that when we go to dump Iggy, maybe they will just give us that pick back.

But regardless, I'd love to have cook. Just need the price point low. I'd like to have some of that Jones money as rollover in the event of surprise preseason cut or trade possibility that could make us better

Exactly. And anyway, YPC is kind of a dumb stat. Last year, Jeff Wilson averaged more yards per carry than Christian McCaffrey. Devin Singletary averaged more yards per carry than Jonathan Taylor, Derrick Henry, and Dalvin Cook.

Success running the football is a function of the offense. Mostert and Wilson have per-touch success because of the offense they play in. But they don’t present much of a receiving threat, they aren't reliable in short yardage situations, and they don’t keep defenses honest. Nobody is compromising their pass coverage because they’re afraid of Raheem Mostert or Jeff Wilson tearing them up on the ground.

That is why Mostert and Wilson aren’t in high demand. They’re lowly paid journeymen who have virtually no starting experience except for the Dolphins last year. They can get the job done in one very specific kind of scheme, but that’s about it. They’re backups.

I always thought it was funny that Marino wasnt all over TV. Maybe he had that entire Rocky Balboa thing going for him, or one too many "**** it, send it in"s

I really don't think any fan in their right minds would say "we don't want Dalvin Cook" granted we have some that might raise hell just to raise hell. I think the posters that would say "we don't want DC" are probably really saying "we don't want DC at that cost" But i could be wrong, I'm completely assuming other peoples thoughts, which i do a lot around here, but i try to think most posters are intelligent .

So not wanting him at all is insane.

Wanting him at his current price point is insane.

those two should be absolutes.

In the ideal world, I would say we could find a way to restructure his contract with a sign and trade, that would cut alot of $$$ off his deal, part with a low round pick to the Vikes so they get something out of it, but we guarantee he is ours.

I think that leaves good relations between both teams so that when we go to dump Iggy, maybe they will just give us that pick back.

But regardless, I'd love to have cook. Just need the price point low. I'd like to have some of that Jones money as rollover in the event of surprise preseason cut or trade possibility that could make us better
I would love for them to sign Cook but I just don’t see it happening unless he is willing to give his home town team a huge discount. The Dolphins just don’t have the cap space available to sign him to a big contract.

I know that some posters see the money they will have once they release Jones and figure they can use a lot of that money on signing Cook. While that is certainly a possibility, I prefer they use that money to resign Wilkins, Sieler, Williams, or Hunt.

Cook would likely on be a one or two year rental while those 4 players are young players to build around for the future.

I would love for them to sign Cook but I just don’t see it happening unless he is willing to give his home town team a huge discount. The Dolphins just don’t have the cap space available to sign him to a big contract.

I know that some posters see the money they will have once they release Jones and figure they can use a lot of that money on signing Cook. While that is certainly a possibility, I prefer they use that money to resign Wilkins, Sieler, Williams, or Hunt.

Cook would likely on be a one or two year rental while those 4 players are young players to build around for the future.
We'll know next week I would assume.

It doesn’t have to be either/or. As I see it, we should continue to sign good players at fair price points until we can’t anymore. Nobody ever hurt themselves by signing good players at fair price points.

Might there come a day, 3-4 years from now, when we have too many good players at too many fair price points and the salary cap makes it impossible to keep them all?

Sure. That would be a good problem to have. You can always trade good players at fair price points.

Want Cook to be a Dolphin badly. Like last piece to SB winning team badly.

Fins easily could have lost Week 3 vs. Buffalo. Cook get us off the one yard line with his legs or at least the viable threat of a run.

He absolutely makes the difference in at least two of the three losses to Vikings, Packers, and Pats. I can be at times given to hyperbole, but we’re hosting a playoff game with him last year even with all the setbacks.

Sign him. Be aggressive with it. Hope Grier doesn’t sit back and wait for Cook to fall into his lap.

Disclaimer: I love love love Wilson, Mostert, and Arcane.

I would happily take him for reasonable money that is front loaded. The team is going to need to manage the Cap skillfully over the next few years and I don''t want a RUNNING BACK messing that up in any way.

On moving the chains yesterday Pat Kirwan brought this up, if your Miami would you trade Mostert and a draft pick for Cook? He said he would. If i remember right the rated the Dolphins backfield as a 16 without Cook, and 19 I believe with Cook on the team.:ffic:

Last edited:
On moving the chains yesterday Pat Kirwan brought this up, if your Miami would you trade Mostert and a draft pick for Cook? He said he would. If i remember right the rated the Dolphins backfield as a 16 without Cook, and 19 I believe with Cook on the team.:ffic:
I heard that too, had us a notch below the Bills in their rankings. I believe trading Raheem or anybody else is moot as all signs point to Dalvin being cut. I like listening to those guys but they just really seem like saying anything remotely positive about the Dolphins is a struggle for them. And don't get me started about that fool who constantly calls in masquerading as a Phins fan and saying this team will win four or five games, I get the douche chills every time I hear him.

It doesn’t have to be either/or. As I see it, we should continue to sign good players at fair price points until we can’t anymore. Nobody ever hurt themselves by signing good players at fair price points.

Might there come a day, 3-4 years from now, when we have too many good players at too many fair price points and the salary cap makes it impossible to keep them all?

Sure. That would be a good problem to have. You can always trade good players at fair price points.
If he is released by the Vikings, it all comes down to money. If he is looking to sign one more big contract, I just don’t see that contract being with the Dolphins.

If as I stated earlier, he wants to come home and is willing to sign for quite a bit less money than he could probably get elsewhere, I could see him being a Miami Dolphins next season.

If I was his agent, I would be telling him to take the money because he can always live in Miami during the off season and after he retires in a few years.

As a Dolphin fan, I hope he wants to come back home and is willing to play for less just to be back in Miami.

As Fin-Loco stated, we will probably know next week what he plans on doing.

Back
Top Bottom