Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

Marino is my favorite player of all time and best passing QB in history imo.

That being said, the game is different today more than just inference rules. No doubt DBs are at a disadvantage but defenses are built longer and faster to deal with complex passing games instead of the physical running teams of their age. Many QBs of the current era have a mobility factor to their game to pickup first downs too.

No doubt he'd be a 5,000 club regular, I just think stretching it out to 7,000 and stuff is exaggerating too far.
I can only assume you never saw Marino play, underestimate the effect of rule changes, or both.

In that era, QBs were fare game to be driven into the ground on every play. Receivers, literally, had to fight their way downfield, and PI was almost never called.

This is the most telling thing here. There were a lot of great QBs playing in Dan’s era - yet these numbers weren’t even close. He was in a different universe than the rest. The year Manning and Brady were 1-upping each other w 49 and 50 TDs - yeah, Dan was obliterating other passers. They could only dream of coming close to his figures. Oh, and in ‘84 when he blew away all the records, we rushed for 1600 yards or 100 per game. Since we blew many opponents out, how much passing was he doing in the 4th quarter? Not much. There was no need. He could have thrown a lot more if they wanted too. I remember the ‘84 title game. He tore up the Steelers w 5 or 6 TD passes. It was ridiculous. Too bad we drew a more balanced 49er team in the SB. That ‘84 fins team was better than most SB winners in that era. Just not the ‘84 niners who may have been the 2nd best single season team in NFL history (to the ‘72 fins of course) as they only lost 1 game - in OT by a FG - to the AFC runner up Steelers.
Right on Brother!

I wish I could have seen that Marino play. But by the time I was old enough to really see Marino play it was when J.Johnson was half way out the door.
Bummer Bro, you missed something special for sure. Every team feared him and it showed.

He also lost an entire season due to his freak Achilles injury.
Having the best season of his career in terms of QBR - and we were 4-1 having already crushed the Bills at Orchard Park. That team could have won it all. The Bills were at their weakest of their 4 SB teams and no doubt in my mind we would have taken the division and conference. They were just 10-6 to our 9-7. No injury to Dan and we are 12-4 or 13-3 that year.

Even in ‘85. He “only” threw 30 TDs but I think it was tops in the league.
That clash with Da Bears was a game for the ages.

Bears coming in for a Monday night showcase, with arguably the best D ever, and a very real chance of a "perfect season".

But they had no answer for Dan, and it is fitting that he preserved the 72' team's legacy.

It does suck that there was no SB rematch. Tony freakin Eason....SMH.

That clash with Da Bears was a game for the ages.

Bears coming in for a Monday night showcase, with arguably the best D ever, and a very real chance of a "perfect season".

But they had no answer for Dan, and it is fitting that he preserved the 72' team's legacy.

It does suck that there was no SB rematch. Tony freakin Eason....SMH.
That title game sucked. They ran all over us and kept Dan on the sideline.

I can only assume you never saw Marino play, underestimate the effect of rule changes, or both.

In that era, QBs were fare game to be driven into the ground on every play. Receivers, literally, had to fight their way downfield, and PI was almost never called.

Your assumption is incorrect. My oldest son was born in 2000 and I lament that none of my 4 kids saw Marino play in a live game. Honestly, the dolphins have been pretty generally crappy since any of my kids can remember.

My point was that Marino's best year was taken and projected to higher amounts. Marino's had a magical season that defenses were not ready or equipped to stop. That was a large reason the record stood a test of time, even by Marino himself, for the rest of his career.

In 1993, his achilles year, don't forget all the other injuries. We were 9-2 until we lost Troy Vincent. Plus a ton of other guys. The team really crapped the bed when we lost Vincent. We were ironically hanging in there without Marino.
In 1985, the year after his record setting season, defenses adjusted and stopped giving him the big plays. His stats dropped because defenses adjusted to making him be patient and work his way the distance of the field. But in 1984, people didn't see it coming.
Also, in 1984, Shula still wanted to run out the clock on the ground. I have every game(except the 2 losses) from that season on DVD and have seen them various times. Shula gets those big leads and rarely throws in the 4th quarter. Imagine if he had...50+ TD's. Plus there was a passing TD from Clayton on a flea flicker that season as well.

Marino would excel in any era, Just a once in a lifetime talent on the field..

It killed me that in all those years the fins could never get him a decent runningback.. Mark Higgs was probably his best the rest are a hodge podge of busts Sammie Smith,Terry Kirby, Abdul Jabbar, Irving Spikes, Some Running back named JJ i can't remember god just trash for the most part..

The defenses weren't terrific either till the absolute end but I do wish he would have played another year as our defense had just transitioned to a juggernaut I believe JJ didn't want him.. I really think he would have rebounded better the next season after , if he had kept playing who knows how far he would have gotten with an insane defense like we had.

I would have liked a better memory then that last blowout playoff loss.

Back
Top Bottom