Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

no doubt he could do it, but remember this when decrying all the rule changes and qb protection rules of today- they were brought on in part by the ultr-athletic, huge fast aggressive and sophisticated defensive players and schemes we have in modern day where defenses continually evolve to contain offenses.

it’s not intellectually honest to say what he would do THEN against those defenses with TODAY’S rules.

BS... Lawrence Taylor was better than any of these guys....Bruce Smith.... Reggie White...you could hit the receivers then past 5 yards.... and they could beat the hell out of the QB’s....Marino would have crushed the league today!

Easy.

I believe Montana was 2nd in the NFL behind him in TD passes in '84 with 28 TD's - Marino threw 48.

The year Marino threw 44 TD's I think the next guy had around 25.

I might give him 70 today.
Thank you for helping the young fans put Dan Marino's greatness into perspective. Ummm isn't this TedSlimm? Sure looks like it from the Avatar. :-)

That clash with Da Bears was a game for the ages.

Bears coming in for a Monday night showcase, with arguably the best D ever, and a very real chance of a "perfect season".

But they had no answer for Dan, and it is fitting that he preserved the 72' team's legacy.

It does suck that there was no SB rematch. Tony freakin Eason....SMH.

Dolphins-Bears '85 statement game. A fun game to look back on, for sure! Marino in his prime. It's hard to believe we didn't get past the Patriots in the AFC championship that year.

In 1993, his achilles year, don't forget all the other injuries. We were 9-2 until we lost Troy Vincent. Plus a ton of other guys. The team really crapped the bed when we lost Vincent. We were ironically hanging in there without Marino.
In 1985, the year after his record setting season, defenses adjusted and stopped giving him the big plays. His stats dropped because defenses adjusted to making him be patient and work his way the distance of the field. But in 1984, people didn't see it coming.
Also, in 1984, Shula still wanted to run out the clock on the ground. I have every game(except the 2 losses) from that season on DVD and have seen them various times. Shula gets those big leads and rarely throws in the 4th quarter. Imagine if he had...50+ TD's. Plus there was a passing TD from Clayton on a flea flicker that season as well.
Yep. Said something similar about running the ball in the 4th quarter in ‘84. We actually cracked the 100 yard per game mark for the season. In ‘85 he did drop to 30 TD passes but it still led the league. Then in ‘86 he threw a crazy 44 TDs. But you’re right. ‘83-‘86 was the window before defenses figured how to slow (not stop) our offense - it happens to every great player. In ‘90-94 he had a resurgence w a better team again but still no HOFers on either side of the ball. That ‘93 team lost Vincent, Louis Oliver and John Offerdahl - and also, Scott Mitchell - we brought DeBerg out of retirement and still won some games. But it all was too much to overcome in the end. Dan doesn’t get hurt and we represent the AFC that year. We were finally better than Buffalo. Could we have beaten Dallas in the SB? Well, we beat them in the regular season so “yes”.

Marino would excel in any era, Just a once in a lifetime talent on the field..

It killed me that in all those years the fins could never get him a decent runningback.. Mark Higgs was probably his best the rest are a hodge podge of busts Sammie Smith,Terry Kirby, Abdul Jabbar, Irving Spikes, Some Running back named JJ i can't remember god just trash for the most part..

The defenses weren't terrific either till the absolute end but I do wish he would have played another year as our defense had just transitioned to a juggernaut I believe JJ didn't want him.. I really think he would have rebounded better the next season after , if he had kept playing who knows how far he would have gotten with an insane defense like we had.

I would have liked a better memory then that last blowout playoff loss.
LOL - I like the list of bad RBs - “some guy named JJ” - his last name was Johnson. Probably made the team because he had the same name as the HC. Don’t forget Bobby Humphrey, Lorenzo Hampton, Troy Stradford , a very washed up Pete Johnson, Joe Carter, meh they were all meh. Higgs was ok but slow. It was Wanny that didn’t want him as he was in love w Feebler.

That clash with Da Bears was a game for the ages.

Bears coming in for a Monday night showcase, with arguably the best D ever, and a very real chance of a "perfect season".

But they had no answer for Dan, and it is fitting that he preserved the 72' team's legacy.

It does suck that there was no SB rematch. Tony freakin Eason....SMH.
That was one hell of a game. I rewatched the entire game on Youtube a few months ago. It wasn't quite as exciting as the night it happened, but entertaining none the less.

That was one hell of a game. I rewatched the entire game on Youtube a few months ago. It wasn't quite as exciting as the night it happened, but entertaining none the less.

What made that game special at the time was all the naysayers telling me and the Dolphins they weren't good enough to beat the bears. No one expected the Dolphins to get an early lead and keep it. We had the 26th ranked run defense coming into that game. Shula had a pretty good game plan, too. I wish Jim McMahon had played.

Everyone had the Bears winning before the opening kickoff took place, that's what made it so special. I remember seeing the Bears reactions on the sideline during the game, they were shocked to see that taking place. The crowd was insane, those were the days...

Back
Top Bottom