Danny Amendola | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Danny Amendola

We're going 4-5 wide a lot more this year I believe so really doesnt matter to me.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. With those TE's we picked up in the draft and what their respective skill sets are, I see A LOT of twin TE sets in our future. More so then going 4 wr and 5 wr sets. Just my opinion though. We have to find ways to get Gesicki in mismatches against LBers.

Always is on here! The inmates are getting restless.
Frankly, idc where Amendola winds up on the depth chart. The competition at WR in camp is going to be intense.

Truer words have never been spoken..."The inmates are getting restless."

5QdJeeb.gif

I'm excited for him. I think coming from the Patriots and having that championship mentality will make him work harder and make everyone else on the team work harder leading us to great things.

We didn't have to give him 6 mil when 3 mil would of done the job....we pay top dollar on to many contracts, add's up, that money could be used on another 10 mil player, quite making so many mistakes in FA and running a dead cap hit of 20 mil plus a year you're looking at adding 2 or 3 more top quality players to the roster. Seems to be the neverending story, Kiko and Branch could add to that Dead money cap hit along with Suh's dead money in 2019. I usually don't like to bitch but the contracts being handed out are out of line.
New England offered him 3.6 how do you figure he's gonna play for 3 for us. 2.5 million more isn't going to kill our cap.

Last edited:
huh? Landry had 1,136 yards in 2016 and 1,157 in 2015. so, no

Yard totals are irrelavent. Are we pretending Landry's 456 targets from 2015 thru 2017 vs Amendola's 202 wasn't an obvious factor in why one would have more receptions and yards than the other? Can't see how you could not expect there to be an obvious diffence in their production when considering usage.

He will make the roster and be a starter on paper. But I will be beyond stunned if he avoids IR

New England offered him 3.6 how do you figure he's gonna play for 3 for us. 2.5 million more isn't going to kill our cap.

I believe it’s also a 2 yr deal. Classic stop gap signing and has no bearing on the team’s ability to sign FA in 2019 or 2020.

Barring injury he's a lock for the top 4.
Parker-Amendola-Stills-Wilson
Grant will see some time on trick plays or just to get some speed in there.
I don't think we will have a clear 1,2,3,4....just a top 4 with us spreading the ball around more. I do think Amendola (again IF HEALTHY) could be RT's favorite target on short passes.

I don't understand why people here would not be happy about having a guy like Amendola. The guy knows what it takes to win and he's a proven leader. He's not coming here to be a savior. He's coming here to be a part of the team. He's not a "me' kind of guy. He'd do anything to help us win.

The top 4 is actually a top 5 because I know for a fact the coaches fully intend to get Jakeem Grant involved a lot more than they did.

And frankly, they'd be stupid not to. His 2.36 yards per route in 2017 puts him in stellar company, among guys with at least 20 targets:

01. Julio Jones - 3.08
02. Antonio Brown - 2.87
03. Keenan Allen - 2.55
04. DeAndre Hopkins - 2.39
05. Michael Thomas - 2.39
06. Jakeem Grant - 2.36
07. Tyreek Hill - 2.35
08. Adam Thielen - 2.33
09. Robert Woods - 2.17
10. JuJu Smith-Schuster - 2.16

Every single one of those guys is acknowledged as either an elite level player, a highly paid player, or in the case of JuJu Smith-Schuster and Tyreek Hill, very exciting and "buzzy" up and comers. But one of them is pegged by his own fanbase as the #5 receiver who may be used every now and then on trick plays.

Uhhh.

No.

That doesn't work for me.

I say that this reminds me so much of 2009 with Cameron Wake, when everyone on here and elsewhere kept trying to say how they were waiting for Cameron Wake to "take the next step", etc. I kept having to point out to them, you don't appreciate just how absurd he was during the season. How absurd? Here's a look at all edge rushers in terms of pass rush snaps per pressure that year, for all players with at least 100 pass rush snaps:

01. Cameron Wake - 3.94x
02. Dwight Freeney - 5.70x
03. Lamarr Woodley - 6.19x
04. DeMarcus Ware - 6.40x
05. James Harrison - 6.84x

It's not just the fact that the player was leading in efficiency. It's the company, too. You don't tend to put out those sorts of numbers and get up in company with those types of players unless you're doing SOMETHING good. It doesn't mean you're a pro bowler. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a Hall of Famer waiting to happen like Cameron Wake turned out to be. But it does mean you've got talent and people probably shouldn't be talking about you like you're on the roster bubble or should maybe only hit the field once in a blue moon.

And I know people are going to want to say well, that's just one year for Jakeem Grant and only 21 targets and all that. OK, that's fine.

Except Jakeem Grant had even higher yards per route (4.34) during the preseason, too. Only one player Dede Westbrook did better this preseason, among guys with at least as many targets as Jakeem.

And he had 3.04 yards per route run during the 2016 preseason, albeit on 7 targets. Only 11 players (only 3 of them rookies) had higher yards per target that preseason, among players with at least the same number of targets.

So he's doing this consistently during preseasons and then he gets to the regular season and he does it as consistently as the elite players at the position and people still want to cut him or want to keep him all the way at the bottom of the depth chart. I don't care what you're looking at, stats, preseason, or just straight up looking at the film (I've got plenty if you want me to link it right here in the thread), his play doesn't warrant that sort of disrespect.

I think the reality is Miami has five guys at the position that do different things and they're all going to get lots of play. I don't think Adam Gase is going to get stuck anymore into this thinking that Kenny Stills, Devante Parker, and Danny Amendola are my starters, and maybe every now and then I mix in Albert Wilson, and Jakeem Grant is my return guy and in just for the gadget plays, etc. That's dinosaur thinking. It's a good way for Gase to go extinct.

He's going to have to do the work of figuring out packages of players that work particularly well together (e.g. watch Tyreek Hill and Albert Wilson work together as a pair in KC and tell me you don't see Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson doing that in Miami, or watch the way Brandin Cooks and Danny Amendola played off one another in NE and tell me you're not thinking Kenny Stills and Danny Amendola), figuring out plays they're good at, defensive mismatches, unique play designs, etc. In some sense it's not going to be easy because it means the coaches can't be lazy. They've got to earn their pay. But in another sense it's going to be real easy because these guys are all good at things on the football field, and in some cases they're among the best at the position in the things they do well.

Danny is here to play, start. Not a chance he doesn't see the field a lot.

I would certainly HOPE that decision is still a number of months away. Amendola was a good fit in the NE -- receiving all the benefits of cheating + playing lady flag football et cetera. He won't get the same "advantage" playing in my yammie. Beyond that -- he's always impressed me as somewhat of a "punk" and that won't play well in my yammie either. That said, let's pretend he's 5 years younger and still we have significantly superior athletes @receiver.

Did they bring l'il Danny to my yammie for his brain or superior football chops? Is Gase gonna run a similar prissy "lady friendly" O as Belicheat/Lady@QB?

For me -- Amendola was an unnecessary "grab" and subsequent dollar expenditure. Something, of course, TBum is excellent at.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

Back
Top Bottom