DE choice | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DE choice

Your point about whether the incoming player can/will contribute immediately is the key point here.

There are few opportunities for snaps on this team... and almost none at some positions-- a true Edge, for instance where no one is going to play ahead of Phillips and Chubb.

The posters who honestly believe that an incoming 2nd round Tackle would displace Jackson are... optimistic at best. Yes, LG is a possibility, but that too is probably unlikely as I doubt whether McD is going to give that role to a rookie during this possible Super Bowl season... so I think we are left with looking for part-time players or guys who'll start in 2024.

So, I think we are back to TE and RB, where the right player might start... but both are cheap positions in the NFL, so we'd give up NBP's belief of drafting for cap relief (which I share).

As you've said, it's a good problem to have... and one that allows us to do a myriad of things in the first. Myself... I'd use those two top picks for one possible starter, and one stab at a starter for next year.
Well, maybe this is the year to get a RB......

Kind of goes against my general philosophy, but there are exceptions to almost everything.

Schoonmaker ran a 4.63 and came in at 6'.5", Musgrave 6'.6" and faster than either at 4.61. Washington's numbers aren't all that.

The downside with Washington is actually in the passing game where he received only 45 targets... in his career! Yes, he might become a good receiver... but he might not, and that's why I don't rate him as highly as some do.

Well, maybe this is the year to get a RB......

Kind of goes against my general philosophy, but there are exceptions to almost everything.
That's where I've landed.

For the past three drafts, I have advised against drafting a RB saying, "you only take a RB when you are ready to make a Super Bowl run".

I think we're there and it's time. I love Gibbs' potential but not his weight, and I really like Charbonnet. I hope that we get one or the other... if not, there are some I like later, but those two are VERY high on my list.

Fever doesn’t plagiarize the writing or ideas of others in a vain attempt to feel/sound important, nor is he passive-aggressive when others post alternative views. His insights appear correct when judged over time.

He is confident and consistent in his ideological convictions, and can debate about a wide range of topics—most notably all-things in Football Operations.

His posts are not only original, but also well-written and researched.

He’s both passionate and credible, which makes for a very enjoyable read.
Yes yes and yes. Agreed. But my question is who is he? Lol I suspect Larry Csonka but nah Larry is too much in your face. Fever it appears, at least from my untrained old eyes to be well connected. The Insider. The Man with the Golden Gun. Backchanneler,

(Apologize for the above, just trying to fill in Stevie until his shift resumes) carry on.

We settled for a TE in MG as opposed to moving up. The whole "there are other TEs" philosophy is flawed. Simply a human that plays the TE role in the same draft isn't the same as Washington. It's about building the best team. Not saving picks just because it makes you feel more comfortable. Screw the picks. If you can get Washington, it can change our offense. Go do what makes us the best team.
there was no reason to move up when we drafted Gesicki.....Goedert and Andrews were both on the board. We just took the wrong player at that spot. As far as Washington , I like him but not enough to use our 2nd this year plus our 2nd next year on him but keep in mind I don’t have a say on what the team does.

there was no reason to move up when we drafted Gesicki.....Goedert and Andrews were both on the board. We just took the wrong player at that spot. As far as Washington , I like him but not enough to use our 2nd this year plus our 2nd next year on him but keep in mind I don’t have a say on what the team does.
spot on Danny, your last point. Agreed 100 percent. Although I might look like Grier's behind, I am not related. We will see in a few weeks.

It interests me how people will, correctly, note 'good' teams build through the draft and accumulate picks, and some complain about the trade for Hill, but others want to give up high picks. Particularly with limited picks, trade no more high picks.
trading away your picks to try to win now is not sustainable .....sooner or later(most likely sooner) you will pay the price for it........if you draft well then there's no need to trade away your high picks.

Right. Not taking Washington and taking another TE would be taking the wrong player again.

Ok draft gurus (Fever) if we had a choice of drafting DE Uzomah, Ojulari or Tuipulatu at 51, do you pull the trigger? And which one would you choose and why?
UZOMAH remind me of Cameron Wake

Right. Not taking Washington and taking another TE would be taking the wrong player again.
if Washington is there then of course we should take him..........where do you think we'd have to go to get him anyway?

if Washington is there then of course we should take him..........where do you think we'd have to go to get him anyway?
Gotta jump the Raiders. They have #38. They lost Waller and Foreau so they are very likely to scoop him up if he's still there. If you use the below value chart, our #51 is worth 390 points. Seattle's #37 is worth 530. So, it'd cost us this year's third rounder or next year's 2nd to swap. Or you can toss in a player to make it less pricey draft capital wise.

spot on Danny, your last point. Agreed 100 percent. Although I might look like Grier's behind, I am not related. We will see in a few weeks.
Loop Trump GIF

Drafting a DE would be a case of "future proofing" the roster for the eventual departure of Ogbah.

Normally I am in favor of big picture, long term moves like that, especially at a premium position like DE, but Miami just does not have the Draft ammo for a move like that this year.

Barring one or more trade downs to gather more picks I think they have to stick with a more needs based strategy this year.

IF Miami had more picks DE would be very high on my list as would the obvious needs at OL and TE, with a mid to late round RB following that.

Don't let Fever sell himself short. He is one of, if not the, most knowledgeable posters here when it comes to the salary cap, contract structures, and the rules/details involved.

Top notch general NFL football knowledge, as well.

Hey Mach, I don't know how long you have had it (Knowing me, you've had it forever, and I have been oblivious), but I just read you caption of "Never go full Colin Cowherd"...Nice Advice, and extremely funny. Though I do wish I had not read it while drinking coffee...Efficient, but painful way to clean one's nose though. Lol

We settled for a TE in MG as opposed to moving up. The whole "there are other TEs" philosophy is flawed. Simply a human that plays the TE role in the same draft isn't the same as Washington. It's about building the best team. Not saving picks just because it makes you feel more comfortable. Screw the picks. If you can get Washington, it can change our offense. Go do what makes us the best team.
If Miami stayed exactly where they were the year they drafted Gesicki, they could have drafted Dallas Goedert or Mark Andrews instead. So, there was no need to move up. Grier just blew it. Lets hope he doesn’t blow it again this time.

Back
Top Bottom