DE choice | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DE choice

If Miami stayed exactly where they were the year they drafted Gesicki, they could have drafted Dallas Goedert or Mark Andrews instead. So, there was no need to move up. Grier just blew it. Lets hope he doesn’t blow it again this time.
I'm sure Gase had his fingerprints all over it. It was his offense.

But the question remains... would another TE PLUS another player do more for us than just Washington.
On top of not even knowing if you are getting the better player by moving up. I made the point to him when he said Miami “settled” for Gesicki that by just staying where Miami selected Gesicki they could have had Dallas Goedert, who went seven picks later, or Mark Andrews who went in the next round.

I'm sure Gase had his fingerprints all over it. It was his offense.
It really doesn’t matter. My point still holds true. There was no need to move up. If the coach is the one making the call, I’d feel even more confident that McDaniel could identify the TE he thinks could fit in his offense without having to move up to do so. There is not one position or player I would ever move up for unless it was a QB. QB is a different so you have to take your swings at the position because if you don’t have one, it really doesn’t much matter what the rest of your team looks like.

It really doesn’t matter. My point still holds true. There was no need to move up. If the coach is the one making the call, I’d feel even more confident that McDaniel could identify the TE he thinks could fit in his offense without having to move up to do so. There is not one position or player I would ever move up for unless it was a QB. QB is a different so you have to take your swings at the position because if you don’t have one, it really doesn’t much matter what the rest of your team looks like.
Washington looks like a monster and would make a difference for our offense bigly. He's worth moving for. Either go get him or watch him make another team better. The other TEs aren't on the same level.

On top of not even knowing if you are getting the better player by moving up. I made the point to him when he said Miami “settled” for Gesicki that by just staying where Miami selected Gesicki they could have had Dallas Goedert, who went seven picks later, or Mark Andrews who went in the next round.
At that time, I really don't think we were thinking Y-type Tight End.

Washington looks like a monster and would make a difference for our offense bigly. He's worth moving for. Either go get him or watch him make another team better. The other TEs aren't on the same level.
He had 45 targets in the passing game in his entire career... why do you think he'll be a force when he's never been more than a blocker? I'm genuinely interested in what you are basing this upon.

I like him... He could be a find; there is no question that he's an excellent blocker. I just wonder if he'll ever be much of a receiver. And I think that's the question in a nutshell... if he can become a better receiver, then he could be one of the best Y-type TEs in the league, but it is an if. Right now, he's a spare Tackle who occasionally catches a pass, and his projected price of late 1st to early 2nd seems stiff to me.

I'm not saying 'no', I'm just saying that I wouldn't trade up to get him.

I like Dante Stills from West Virginia as a young Ogbah backup. At one point I thought he might be available in the 6th or 7th round, but I've seen some mocks where he goes earlier. If he's still avalable late, or if Miami picks up a few earlier draft picks he might be worth a look.

I like Dante Stills from West Virginia as a young Ogbah backup. At one point I thought he might be available in the 6th or 7th round, but I've seen some mocks where he goes earlier. If he's still avalable late, or if Miami picks up a few earlier draft picks he might be worth a look.
I am also a big fan of Mike Morris. I know that he stunk it up at the combine, but his film shows a power-based DE who did quite well in a good conference. The combine performance has certainly dropped him into the third day of the draft and he could be a cheap get there if we trade down a bit.

I am also a big fan of Mike Morris. I know that he stunk it up at the combine, but his film shows a power-based DE who did quite well in a good conference. The combine performance has certainly dropped him into the third day of the draft and he could be a cheap get there if we trade down a bit.
You know, at some point, third day players often play like they were drafted in the third day, right? This whole "go find some gold in your back yard" mindset I have eternal issues with.

I know I am a relative noob on here but what is up with referring to Fever as the savant?

I mean he could really well be le savant du jour, but can someone fill me in? Preferably Le savant himself?

Is he Jimmy Johnson? I mean I would be surprised if PH has many a well connected current/ex savant types around. For all I know Fever is actually Chris Grier sans the ball cap.

Enquiring minds want to know. Spill the beans, we can take it.
Pops, Fever and Mach are both extremely logical and well versed in how a winning team is constructed and maintained. They don’t post just for the attention, they actually do the homework and have depth of opinion. They also understand the CAP.
What is just as impressive is that they admit mistakes and have humility. There are a core group of posters on Finheaven that I respect and learn from. If I was starting a team or company these guys would be key members of the executive team.

You know, at some point, third day players often play like they were drafted in the third day, right? This whole "go find some gold in your back yard" mindset I have eternal issues with.
Most do... but not all of them. We've had Van Ginkle, Needham, and Kohou all surprise us lately.

Most do... but not all of them. We've had Van Ginkle, Needham, and Kohou all surprise us lately.
Oh, I know we can get lucky but there's an old saying. Don't confuse luck with skill. Expecting a third day player to become a starter fails more often than it works out. Of course, I hope we get lucky, I just don't necessarily expect it.

Back
Top Bottom