Deshaun Watson mega thread | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deshaun Watson mega thread

Yeah but how many times is a QB of Brady's caliber available in free agency. The Ravens would have won a lot more Super Bowls during Lewis's prime if there were quality QB's readily available.
I really like the idea of checking the QB box and be done with it... I really do. There's a reason thse guys dont become available, Brady's was age as is often the case with these guys changing teams... Peyton -> Denver, Montana -> KC, Trent Green -> Miami... And so on. In this case, the guy is 25 YO and the only reason he's available is because he decided **** it, I want to change teams.

Now I understand he's been on a **** organization and all the surrounding reasons. But it does raise the question of where's the threshold for this behavior? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

Im not saying its 100% going to happen if he comes to Miami, but it sure has hell need to be accounted for as a possible outcome down the road. And if the Fins do that deal, they're not contending next year, they'll need to recover from the loss of assets and the fact all those 3 1st round picks from last season werent spent on skill positions. There will absolutely be a gap.

And the more you have to wait to reap rewards the riskier it gets, call it opportunity cost. God forbid Watson gets hurt or decides **** Miami, I want out again...

Yes these are still low probability events, but they're there. Yup! Watson is in a **** org and wants out, its understandable... And yup, Tua was on a **** offense and didnt perform all that well, also understandable. I keep Tua and the picks... If Tua gets hurt or doesnt pan out, Fins should be a very welcoming environement for a rookie QB by then.

All IMO of course...

I agree! Imagine Brees playing in Green Bay on Sunday. His arm wouldn’t have been up for it.

brees arm is shot but yeah that would have been ugly no doubt

Miamis got kc and Buffalo weather plus potentially New England you need your QBs arm to be solid in those potential January road matchups

And if the Fins do that deal, they're not contending next year, they'll need to recover from the loss of assets and the fact all those 3 1st round picks from last season werent spent on skill positions. There will absolutely be a gap.
What do you foresee us having to give up?

I really like the idea of checking the QB box and be done with it... I really do. There's a reason thse guys dont become available, Brady's was age as is often the case with these guys changing teams... Peyton -> Denver, Montana -> KC, Trent Green -> Miami... And so on. In this case, the guy is 25 YO and the only reason he's available is because he decided **** it, I want to change teams.

Now I understand he's been on a **** organization and all the surrounding reasons. But it does raise the question of where's the threshold for this behavior? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

Im not saying its 100% going to happen if he comes to Miami, but it sure has hell need to be accounted for as a possible outcome down the road. And if the Fins do that deal, they're not contending next year, they'll need to recover from the loss of assets and the fact all those 3 1st round picks from last season werent spent on skill positions. There will absolutely be a gap.

And the more you have to wait to reap rewards the riskier it gets, call it opportunity cost. God forbid Watson gets hurt or decides **** Miami, I want out again...

Yes these are still low probability events, but they're there. Yup! Watson is in a **** org and wants out, its understandable... And yup, Tua was on a **** offense and didnt perform all that well, also understandable. I keep Tua and the picks... If Tua gets hurt or doesnt pan out, Fins should be a very welcoming environement for a rookie QB by then.

All IMO of course...

the only thing I disagree with here is I think you are a playoff team in 2021 with watson at qb regardless of what else you add.

I mean you gonna add some pieces no doubt but watson is a outlook changer in terms of what level qb play he brings. If he doesn’t take some bad sacks. Which he does do at times

the part about him being a good soldier once he arrives I think is a valid one. What keeps him from saying I want out of Miami in 2 years? Not to mention he didn’t have any problem signing that massive extension with Houston last offseason. I doubt all that much changed since then in terms of his outlook pretty sure he signed that after Hopkins was already dealt too

so is he starting to get bigger than the team

All IMO of course...
Down the road we all gonna die. I have watched Woodley played at Orange Bowl. Marino has been retired for 20 years. I don't have no more down the road.

Make the deal and wish for the best.

So if Tua becomes a star and its time to resign him in a few years from now, we let him walk? do you understand how the salary cap and how inflation works?
Big difference. This post shows how little you actually understand about rookie deals and the the cap. We would have Tua for FIVE years with the option under his rookie deal. Tgen we evaluate if we resign, trade or replace. That’s how you win in this league-drafting well and managing the cap. You don’t win by trading high picks, losing stars and blowing 154M on one player. SEE HOUSTON

Remember we don't know the extent or shelf life after an injury suffered the extent of which Tua suffered last November. Might be good to cut him loose while he is healthy........He has injury tendencies.

Actually a number of cap gurus have explained how it would work just fine. Remember, you have to offset his contract with what would go the other way and the cap hit of those draft picks. Cap hit is under $16 million next year.
No. Have you even looked at the mess the Texans are in? That’s apparently what clueless Miami fans like you want. One massive contract and no picks.

Watson's cap number is really low next year. its after that where it blows up but I also thought that the cap is going to go up a ton in 2022 b/c of the new tv deal.

Do you understand that if we did trade for him one of the stipulations would be that he would have to restructure his contract, And X would be traded to help subsidize that new contract and to generate lost pics. There’s two ways to peel that orange.
WE WOULD HAVE TO TRADE ALL OF OUR PICKS DUDE, AND X AND TAKE ON THAT MONSTER CONTRACT. Please stop. Please name one time the Pats took on a 150M free agent contract and traded away their draft? Huh? Thankfully our FO isn’t listening to this stupidity

The most I give is Tua, the 18, and their 2nd back. Houston has literally no say, they're the ones backed in a corner not us.

Miami needs to start making moves to not have to go the three road playoff games route in the postseason.

you may get there that route once in a blue moon you will get bounced more often than not and probably earlier than your team level should suggest.

one thing I noticed about all 4 remaining QBs this year they’ve all got plus arms. Arms that don’t get effected by elements. Arms where 18 yard routes in the middle of the field are in play at all times.

that’s probably my one biggest tua flag going forward I can’t have that arm in the elements. He’s got to make some arm strides...

or I got to have home playoff games
About the plus arm... someone posted a chart of a couple of QBs with their ball velocity and release time... Do you know which QB was the most similar to Tua, actually up to 2 decimal points? Yup! Deshaun Watson. They basically had the same numbers...
What do you foresee us having to give up?
That pretty much depends on how Watson wants to play his cards, thing is, the better the price means he's being an asshole about it and the less I see a guy like Flores wanting that type of behavior on the team... Basically, the cheaper he is, the less I expect the Fins to have any interest imo... In other words, I just dont see it happening. I enjoy the strategy aspect of the discussion though. It's an interesting situation to analyse.
the only thing I disagree with here is I think you are a playoff team in 2021 with watson at qb regardless of what else you add.

I mean you gonna add some pieces no doubt but watson is a outlook changer in terms of what level qb play he brings. If he doesn’t take some bad sacks. Which he does do at times

the part about him being a good soldier once he arrives I think is a valid one. What keeps him from saying I want out of Miami in 2 years? Not to mention he didn’t have any problem signing that massive extension with Houston last offseason. I doubt all that much changed since then in terms of his outlook pretty sure he signed that after Hopkins was already dealt too

so is he starting to get bigger than the team
The 2020 Fins win 10 games maybe 5 times out of a 100... Without going deep into it... They lose the LV game 99% of the time and with TO ratio alone lose 1-2 more games if the luck aspect was 50/50 this season, which it was not... People dont want to believe this but not throwing INTs was reason #2 the Fins won 10 games. Reason #1 the astronomical amounts of INts by the team.

Outside of this, its flat out luck, being top 5 in fumble recovery and bottom 1/3rd in fumbles lost.

The most I give is Tua, the 18, and their 2nd back. Houston has literally no say, they're the ones backed in a corner not us.
That would be amazing. I'd throw in one of my kidneys. Take lasts years team, add an absolute stud qb, legit #1 WR, and whoever else we get in the draft plus a little in FA.

Back
Top Bottom