Developmental QB Myth | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Developmental QB Myth

I see some talk about sticking with Tua and "developing" a QB picked in the mid rounds. It might sound good...but its mostly a myth.

Kirk Cousins is a great example of the developmental QB. Is that what we are looking for?

Every AFC team in the playoffs is led by a first round pick at QB.

In the NFC, three aren't. Two just happen to be the top two in TD passes in NFL history.

One, (Wilson) wasn't developed as much as he was mis -judged out of college. As soon as he got to TC, it was obvious, he should've been picked in round one.

Point being, if you need to develop a starter, pick him in round one. Sure there are plenty of first round busts at QB. But those guys are irrelevant...good teams (usually) have hit on first round QBs...thats why they're good teams.

Unless you get crazy lucky like NE or NO, playoff teams have first round QBs.
False. Go study the progression of Drew Brees. It will enlighten you. How did Peyton Manning do as a rookie? John Elway? Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers didn’t even play in the early part of their career.

Guys, if you’re new to football, at least study up on the data so your points can be more in line with the real world.

We're talking about the 5th overall selection. I've said it before that busts do happen, but you don't establish that after one season with a 5th overall selection QB. If you're back the following draft looking for another QB with the 3rd overall selection, you should probably expect to be fired. That's not narrow-minded. You're not being wise with high value draft picks.
I generally agree with the your general statement...however...if you can see with your eyeballs that a pick is so lacking in high caliber talent...I would expect a GM to rectify that ASAP...The Dolphins have a lot of draft capital and are in a rare position to double down.

It’s all about evaluation..........

I generally agree with the your general statement...however...if you can see with your eyeballs that a pick is so lacking in high caliber talent...I would expect a GM to rectify that ASAP...The Dolphins have a lot of draft capital and are in a rare position to double down.

I understand your point, but . . .
How many R1 QBs have failed in the last 20 years? (I'm not after a real number). Some of those looked bad at the end of the rookie year and nearly every living football fan could see it. How many of those were replaced after their rookie year with another rookie?

My point isn't that you're wrong - it's an opinion. My point is teams don't do that. An outlier (Murray/Rosen) proves nothing. It is likely Flo and staff see enough talent to write him (in ink) as the '21 starter.

Think that fansinceGWilson has basically nailed what I'm saying, and I think you're in general agreement with that. We can all agree that it is what it IS. Personally, I probably wouldn't have selected Tua, and I think you can sense that as well. But he's here. And he's not nearly as bad as some would make him out to be. What you call a rare position to double down is, in my opinion, our opportunity to finally dig out of the skill talent deficit the team has been in.

That is, if you are convinced that Tua is that bad then Grier didn't do a good job when he selected Tua. You would normally see enough in a talent like Tua when drafting him so high that you're convinced he will, at minimum, be a serviceable and average NFL QB at worst. Bigger busts have happened, but all of those GMs probably got fired too. I'd have much rather spent that 5th overall on a best player available talent who isn't a high risk selection and just waited a year to select a QB, but then I know we couldn't have been certain of this high selection.

We have Tua. We need to get elite at some other positions. It makes a world of difference for the offense. I watched Russell Wilson go to 2 superbowls winging it when they had to go to the air. He was no Tom Brady back then. He was just energetic, able to leave the pocket, and good at lobbing the ball.

Narrow minded in the current era...rookie contracts make it very viable and acceptable.

Do you believe that the greatest GM in history can’t make a mistake at a highly complicated position like QB ?

I’d rather have a GM confident enough to admit a mistake versus an arrogant one who refuses to admit it.
And if I’m your narrow minded owner. I’m going to tell you, ok you picked a QB at 5 last year because you thought he was the one. Bypassing two other first round QB’s and now you want to use the third pick of the draft the next year on another. Why don’t I just fire you right know and hire a GM that can pick the right QB and a coach that can train him.

Tua is going to be a game manager because Trent Dilfer advocates for him. That’s going to withstand Daubert analysis. Pure brilliance.

If we were picking at 6 and the chargers were at 5...who do you think they would have picked?

Yea, i doubt our GM is going to admit he blew the 5th pick in the draft after little more than half a season, with no offensive talent around him.

I have no idea what the OP is trying to achieve with this thread. We have a first round QB, why aren't we allowing him to develop ? Why do we need to pick another one rather than use that first rounder to actually try to help his development ?

If he's as bad as folks on here seem to think he is, don't worry we'll be picking back at the top of the order next year.

These asinine threads are getting tiresome.

Last edited:
False. Go study the progression of Drew Brees. It will enlighten you. How did Peyton Manning do as a rookie? John Elway? Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers didn’t even play in the early part of their career.

Guys, if you’re new to football, at least study up on the data so your points can be more in line with the real world.
You obviously aren't knowledgeable about evaluations...and its okay that you aren't.

Looking back on how "others did" is not the way to evaluate players. But its ok tactically if you are debating.

You obviously aren't knowledgeable about evaluations...and its okay that you aren't.

Looking back on how "others did" is not the way to evaluate players. But its ok tactically if you are debating.
Keep on believing that Dilfer being a game manager is the key aspect here. You don’t get it. Hopefully it’s youth and not lack of horsepower.

I have no idea what the OP is trying to achieve with this thread. We have a first round QB, why aren't we allowing him to develop ? Why do we need to pick another one rather than use that first rounder to actually try to help his development ?

If he's as bad as folks on here seem to think he is, don't worry we'll be picking back at the top of the order next year.

These asinine threads are getting tiresome.
I was sure that I put the point of the post in it...so I went back and checked. Sure enough, about the fourth or fifth sentence in...

"Point being, if you need to develop a starter, pick him in round one."

Perhaps you didn't read far enough before you decided to post...which makes these threads incredibly tiresome. I hate when I do that...

The post wasn't about Tua...it was about the common thread that teams have in picking playoff QBs...they usually pick them in round one.

If you want to stick with Tua, thats fine. But there was this common feeling of "lets keep Tua and draft a guy in round three"...I object to that. Pick the QB in round one and a developmental guy at the position you were going to pick in round three. It makes more sense.

Keep on believing that Dilfer being a game manager is the key aspect here. You don’t get it. Hopefully it’s youth and not lack of horsepower.
Dilfer is irrelevant...except that he is a HUGE Tua pimp. And he was the same kind of QB, except more physically talented.

Back
Top Bottom