Developmental QB Myth | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Developmental QB Myth

You lose your way because you only apply your critics toward Tua. You don't apply that same logic to Fabio who proceeded to lose to Burrow and Fields when facing similar talent.

Lawrence is 0-1 vs Burrow; 1-1 vs. Fields.

Tua was 0-1 vs. Fabio; 1-1 vs. Burrow

Tua, Lawrence, and Burrow all have 1 national title.
I wasn’t comparing Tua to Burrow and Lawrence....I was comparing him as a prospect to Justin Herbert, and pointing out that he was surrounded by the best talent in minor league football. Physically....he’s not that impressive!

I wasn’t comparing Tua to Burrow and Lawrence....I was comparing him as a prospect to Justin Herbert, and pointing out that he was surrounded by the best talent in minor league football. Physically....he’s not that impressive!

I know what you were doing - the same thing you've always done. You've got it stuck in your head that Tua is Kellen Moore and will be learning how to call plays as an OC by the time he's 29.

If being that physically impressive to somebody posting on the internet was all that mattered in terms of being successful, things wouldn't shake out the way they do for quarterbacks. I bet you found Jim Druckenmiller and Culpepper that physically impressive and were stoked when Miami traded for them.

Something tells me you weren't much of a Drew Brees guy.

I don’t think we should draft a mid round QB to intentionally develop as a starter, but we do need to start thinking about a younger backup, possibly some nominal competition for Tua, and if you get a miracle Russell Wilson/TB then all the better, but not setting that as the goal.

Other than Steve Sarkisian nobody has ever tried to develop Tua.
Even Trent Dilfer has tried to get that point across it until he's blue in the face, but nobody picks up on it.
Brian Daboll wanted to but couldn't because of Saban's stubborness for Jalen Hurts.

Tua had Mike Locksley and his RPO addiction, and now Chan Gailey - whose offense is designed around Fitzpatrick and for Fitzpatrick. Play calling designed around Fitzpatrick. And was hired for Fitzpatrick. Tua needs somebody to help him read defenses, followed by an offense designed around his skillset. You can't throw a rookie coming off a car crash injury into a situation like Miami's and expect the best statistical rookie QB season in history.

Tua doesn't look quite the same to me since this is the first I've seen him play football since the hip. He's lost a certain percentage off the player that he was. Maybe as much as 15%. If Miami doesn't want to give him time to get back what he lost, or doesn't want to hire an OC to develop him and get him some weapons - then they might as well cut their losses now because it ain't gonna work.

If they wanted a physical dynamo that wasn't coming off injury they should've drafted Herbert. Somebody needs to ask them why they didn't, followed by what the hell was Chan Gailey ever going to do for Tua. They're simple questions that deserve honest answers.

Last edited:
You are totally missing the point. Of course there are first round busts as QBS...I addressed it in the OP. But that's not looking at what is important. Failure's don't matter. The teams that fail don't matter. I am looking at the teams that succeed...they get their QB in the first round, except in rare cases, with Brees and Brady being the most obvious.

Other than those two, its a crap shoot to find a QB that is a perennial playoff contender with a "mid round developmental" guy.
Dang...both Brees and Brady are pretty good imo.
I dont think where you take take them matters as much as who you take....get it right and win, get it wrong and Ryan Leaf

I personally think you're being too easy on Tua!!

I don’t think we should draft a mid round QB to intentionally develop as a starter, but we do need to start thinking about a younger backup, possibly some nominal competition for Tua, and if you get a miracle Russell Wilson/TB then all the better, but not setting that as the goal.

Dolphins need a starter! Who can take them to SB, can compete at highest level.

Not a backup with less than 5 yrs

If we could draft Lawrence I'd do it, otherwise none of the other QBs are impressive. Let's just stack our roster and hope this with an off-season to recover can get more zip on the ball and get an OC with a better game plan

Oh no there's a glitch in the matrix its time to piece everything together.

There's 14 playoff teams of the 14 there are eleven 1st round picks starting at QB of those 11 there are 7 who who were drafted by their original team while 5 were free agent pick ups. That means we don't necessarily have to draft a 1st round QB we can always sign one as a free agent and have similar playoff success. Haskins, Rosen, and Mariota should be available. But wait there's more.

There are 18 non play off teams of those 18 a whopping 12 had 1st round picks starting at QB...I mean not sure what happened here I thought 1st round QB+??= playoffs. Anyways there's a lot more to dissect but I have to finish my theory on who killed JFK and how the government is controlling our minds using fluoride in the water.

conspiracy-theory-meme-salvator-mundi-1024x797.jpg

Dang...both Brees and Brady are pretty good imo.
I dont think where you take take them matters as much as who you take....get it right and win, get it wrong and Ryan Leaf
Look up...the point is flying over your head.😉

I know what you were doing - the same thing you've always done. You've got it stuck in your head that Tua is Kellen Moore and will be learning how to call plays as an OC by the time he's 29.

If being that physically impressive to somebody posting on the internet was all that mattered in terms of being successful, things wouldn't shake out the way they do for quarterbacks. I bet you found Jim Druckenmiller and Culpepper that physically impressive and were stoked when Miami traded for them.

Something tells me you weren't much of a Drew Brees guy.
Wrong...was pissed when they passed on Brees for Fletcher....and when Saban did it a second time.

I really couldn't tell you if Tua is the answer at qb or not, I hope he is. What i can tell you is, our recievers and running backs are the ansewer, if the question is, who is the worst supporting cast of weapons for a qb in the NFL.

I see some talk about sticking with Tua and "developing" a QB picked in the mid rounds. It might sound good...but its mostly a myth.

Kirk Cousins is a great example of the developmental QB. Is that what we are looking for?

Every AFC team in the playoffs is led by a first round pick at QB.

In the NFC, three aren't. Two just happen to be the top two in TD passes in NFL history.

One, (Wilson) wasn't developed as much as he was mis -judged out of college. As soon as he got to TC, it was obvious, he should've been picked in round one.

Point being, if you need to develop a starter, pick him in round one. Sure there are plenty of first round busts at QB. But those guys are irrelevant...good teams (usually) have hit on first round QBs...thats why they're good teams.

Unless you get crazy lucky like NE or NO, playoff teams have first round QBs.
While this is true, it only happens because teams over draft QBs in hopes of finding their next franchise guy. If you look at guys like Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson you could argue that they weren’t worth the pick they were taken at the time. Their teams banked on being able to develop them to their full potential. Both of them went to teams that were a perfect fit and it worked out.

While this is true, it only happens because teams over draft QBs in hopes of finding their next franchise guy. If you look at guys like Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson you could argue that they weren’t worth the pick they were taken at the time. Their teams banked on being able to develop them to their full potential. Both of them went to teams that were a perfect fit and it worked out.
That answers the question of why there are so many busts...not why good teams find their QBs with high picks.

Back
Top Bottom