Developmental QB Myth | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Developmental QB Myth

I say you take Fields and try to move Tua to a team that has a vet QB like the Steelers or Panthers.
Tua wouldn't be worth more than a third or worse. The panic move of trading him would make teams devalue him, also.
Also, you dont know what a player can do in the league until they're in the league.
Fields looked great in a bowl game.
Tua has had moments of looking great vs NFL teams.
2nd-year Tua vs Rookie Fields.
I think 2021 Tua's gonna bring some RollTide heat.

I see posts here that say trade Tua ... we need to draft a QB @ #3... we will never be this high in the draft again ....
Doesn't make any sense ... I mean if we keep Tua when he should have been traded how is he going to get us enough wins to be competitive? Wouldn't we lose enough games to be in position to draft another QB?

A lot of overreaction by some ... Tua hasn't SHOWN us that he is a play maker at the most important position in this game.... He hasn't SHOWN us he has the ability to let it rip when the chips are down. Is it play calling? Maybe, but we see other QB's with mud and blood on them who are pushed to improvise at times by running or scrambling around until someone is open ... but we haven't seen that kind of play/attitude from Tua ...
and if anyone points out a time or two when Tua did exactly that ... well even a blind squirrel can find a nut as they say.

I will stick to my mantra ... BUILD THE TEAM ... THE QB WILL FOLLOW

We continue to build the team ... with Tua as our leader ... until year 3 (we have 4 more years on a cheap contract) we need to invest in play makers at the skills, continue to strengthen the O-line, add a genuine pass rusher, a play maker @ LB and a safety .... That is a HUGE list that normally can't be done (by some teams ever) in 2 seasons of a complete tear down ... you would have to be extremely lucky for that to happen before year 3 ... during the time spent building your team Tua will have proven himself one way or another and if doesn't measure up by year 3 then you are thinking trade or #2 ... not now ... the TEAM isn't ready and Tua hasn't been the missing piece that hides offensive mistakes or break downs and he hasn't been the piece to take over a game and put defenses on their heels ....

just for sh!ts and giggles ...

IF we have the #3 pick AND the Jets (who have Sam Darnold and a new coaching staff) bypass a QB @ #1... Jax picks JF AND TL is there ...
Who do you take @ #3?

Play along now without convincing us that there is no way in hell this would happen ... check the bolded words lol ... it's the off season make a poll

For me I take a tackle (if one is rated that high) ... or edge

skill players would be tempting but @ #3 they need to be all world ... for me I'm looking for a game changer who plays almost or every snap on O or D that high in the draft so that mostly keeps me grounded to the O- line, D-line or QB

IF we have the #3 pick AND the Jets (who have Sam Darnold and a new coaching staff) bypass a QB @ #1... Jax picks JF AND TL is there ...
Who do you take @ #3?

Play along now without convincing us that there is no way in hell this would happen ... check the bolded words lol ... it's the off season make a poll

skill players would be tempting but @ #3 they need to be all world ... for me I'm looking for a game changer who plays almost or every snap on O or D that high in the draft so that mostly keeps me grounded to the O- line, D-line or QB

easy you trade down and take your most likely 3 first round picks you just obtained and you give Tua the best weapons picks can buy

easy you trade down and take your most likely 3 first round picks you just obtained and you give Tua the best weapons picks can buy
I didn't qualify this but I was going with wepick best player available that fits where we are headed as a team ... I am with you though on the trade down option :cheers:

If this GM and the coaches aren't sure about Tua, then they're already on the path to being fired. 5th overall selections that don't work out equals fired GM and coaches. If they draft another QB at #3, they should probably be canned. Let the next GM figure out how to sort the mess.
Narrow minded in the current era...rookie contracts make it very viable and acceptable.

Do you believe that the greatest GM in history can’t make a mistake at a highly complicated position like QB ?

I’d rather have a GM confident enough to admit a mistake versus an arrogant one who refuses to admit it.

Last edited:
Yes, I have no doubt Fields or Wilson or Lance will have a lot more success playing on an offense with no running attack and practice squad quality WR‘s than Tua did. They obviously are so good they will be able to magically transform perhaps the worth talent on offense in the NFL into a SB team in one years.
While they are at it, perhaps the Dolphins can trade Tua for a 7th round pick and a bag of potato chips. Because he is obviously the real problem with the offense and will be a complete bust in the NFL.

At least that is what I have learned from all those Madden experts who have already declared that Tua will never make it as a QB in the NFL.
This offense certainly looked more potent under Fitzpatrick......

What if the Jets take Sewell? If Fields is sitting there what do we do? I wonder what the FO is thinking this morning.
We listen to trade offers and land extra picks to continue our youth movement. It is not clear if Tua is the answer. It is clear he will take some time to develop. So we need talented young players on both sides of the ball to develop a strong team to help Tua in two/three years if/when he shows why he was seeing as a franchise QB. It took Tannehill and Brees lots of time to develop and I am sure Flores wont be that patient with Tua.

We listen to trade offers and land extra picks to continue our youth movement. It is not clear if Tua is the answer. It is clear he will take some time to develop. So we need talented young players on both sides of the ball to develop a strong team to help Tua in two/three years if/when he shows why he was seeing as a franchise QB. It took Tannehill and Brees lots of time to develop and I am sure Flores wont be that patient with Tua.

There were times Miami was playing 5-6 rookies on O at a time. That's a steep learning curve for one unit. That curve will continue in '21 if Miami adds a rookie WR/RB

Who do you take @ #3?

I take Lawrence. BPA. Easy decision.

Narrow minded in the current era...rookie contracts make it very viable and acceptable.

Do you believe that greatest GM in history can’t make a mistake at a highly complicated position like QB ?

I’d rather have a GM confident enough to admit a mistake versus an arrogant who refuses to admit it.

We're talking about the 5th overall selection. I've said it before that busts do happen, but you don't establish that after one season with a 5th overall selection QB. If you're back the following draft looking for another QB with the 3rd overall selection, you should probably expect to be fired. That's not narrow-minded. You're not being wise with high value draft picks.

Tua wouldn't be worth more than a third or worse. The panic move of trading him would make teams devalue him, also.
Also, you dont know what a player can do in the league until they're in the league.
Fields looked great in a bowl game.
Tua has had moments of looking great vs NFL teams.
2nd-year Tua vs Rookie Fields.
I think 2021 Tua's gonna bring some RollTide heat.
If Grier and Flo agree with you, they better be correct. If they keep him, I hope like hell they are. The knives are out for him already.

If Grier and Flo agree with you, they better be correct. If they keep him, I hope like hell they are. The knives are out for him already.
By morons who either didn't like him to begin with and just want to play the "I told you so" game, casual fans who have only been watching for a few years so they think Herbert's stats are what all rookie QBs should have, or the ignorant who ignore any and all possible context because they're trying to be disingenuous or just lazy.

He had a 3200 yd 64% 20 TD 9 INT 5 rushing TD extrapolated season with a bottom 7 offensive line, the worst collection of pass catching talent in the NFL, and no offseason after coming off a career threatening injury. That is, by definition, a fine rookie season with lots of room for upside.

This offense certainly looked more potent under Fitzpatrick......
This offense was designed for Fitz. Tua was running a limited offense designed for him. Tua was supposed to be red-shirted this year. Why do you think Fitz acted
like he was blindsided by the switch to Tua?

Back
Top Bottom