Did Herbert's Senior Bowl MVP, Make MIA Getting Burrow More Likely? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Herbert's Senior Bowl MVP, Make MIA Getting Burrow More Likely?

I think Burrow will still go 1st but Herbert's week will help us anyway. Like it's been said above any team that was thinking about jumping in front of us might just stay pat and take Herbert if Tua's gone instead of spending picks they already don't have to move up.

Herbert played well in a game that scouts don't watch and that has zero blitzes.

Herbert's weakness is pressure. Watching this game did nothing for me that makes me want him in Miami.
It was the perfect opportunity for him to sell himself with no blitzes. To his benefit he made the most of it. I wanted to see him complete some more of the mid range to deep passes also. I know they were new receivers he was playing with as well.

I just can't see the love for Herbert.

I think it has to do with potential, more than past performance.

There a lot of different QB profiles that have come into this league. Brady and Brees came into the league with some doubts about their arm strength, but their football smarts got them a ticket in.

Dan had a cannon and a phenomenal release but bombed his IQ test and wasn't considered as sharp... likewise Bradshaw.

They all come in with chips in their armour... and prospect fatigue has been mentioned, and is a thing.

Herbert, Eason... even Love are tools guys. If the light goes on... OMG.

Fromm is a Brady type of prospect.

Both can work.

I don't think there is any way the Bengals don't take Burrow. With that being said, I can't wait to see how the QB prospects shake out in the draft. These guys are all over the board right now...

Realistically, Burrow goes @ 1, Tua goes somewhere between 2 and 5, and Herbert goes @ 6 to the Chargers.

I think the only real question is who trades up for Tua. As I've said, I hope someone trades up to 5 and selects him with our pick, and I pray that we don't trade up to take him, but I do think this is how it plays out.

Then I suspect we'll see a gap as Love/Eason/Fromm drop to at least the second half of the draft where a desperate team, maybe Carolina or New England trades up for the next one.

If I hit it... I'm a seer. If I miss it badly, I'm Mel Kiper.

Realistically, Burrow goes @ 1, Tua goes somewhere between 2 and 5, and Herbert goes @ 6 to the Chargers.

I think the only real question is who trades up for Tua. As I've said, I hope someone trades up to 5 and selects him with our pick, and I pray that we don't trade up to take him, but I do think this is how it plays out.

Then I suspect we'll see a gap as Love/Eason/Fromm drop to at least the second half of the draft where a desperate team, maybe Carolina or New England trades up for the next one.

True dat Kiper! lol

I think there will be some serious calls about trading up. Will be interesting to see what will and will have to offer to do so. Looking back at trades the 49er's are looking really smart now for getting Jimmy.

Ok,

So Herbert did well yesterday in the Senior Bowl. He earned the MVP which is quite the accolade as the Senior Bowl is essentially a job interview for the NFL. The Bengals were coaching Herbert's South team as well.

With that said, do we think Bengals could now be considering Herbert? This would open them up to possibly trading back for us to be able to move up and get Burrow. Yes, I don't think the price is ever going to get lower than 2 its rounders this year and one next year but do we think Herbert's performance may have opened this up as an opportunity?

I guess winning MVP is a pretty big deal. All Burrow has is a ton of passing record, the Heisman, a national title, the national title game MVP, beat 6 top 10 teams and performed in every one.

In a must win game to get Oregon in position to be in the playoffs, the Ducks and Herbert lost to ASU, led by a true freshman. Herbert graced us with a nice 2td/2int performance.

I think there will be some serious calls about trading up. Will be interesting to see what will and will have to offer to do so. Looking back at trades the 49er's are looking really smart now for getting Jimmy.

If I believed in Tua, I wouldn't trade our pick, I'd draft him @ 5 if he fell that far... but I just don't.

That said, if the Front Office does... and they want to stake their futures on him, they'll take him.

If they don't though... that's when things get interesting for a 40 year draft junkie like myself. I've seen the Cowboys and the Patriots playing the draft like a fine violin and I've always thought that we've been bad because we've traded up too many times... or worse yet, taken all of our players a round too early because we had a need.

Instead...Trade down... Ask for more than the picks are worth and when the other GM screams about it, offer to throw in one of our 5th rounders as a sweetener. Only take players that have slipped or you are 100% convinced about. Be smart, defer picks to next year if the other team is willing to do it. Go into EVERY draft with 10+ picks. It can be done, but it takes patience and a poker face.

Grier got 2 #1s and a #2 for Tunsil.

I think we might have the guy to pull this off.

If I believed in Tua, I wouldn't trade our pick, I'd draft him @ 5 if he fell that far... but I just don't.

That said, if the Front Office does... and they want to stake their futures on him, they'll take him.

If they don't though... that's when things get interesting for a 40 year draft junkie like myself. I've seen the Cowboys and the Patriots playing the draft like a fine violin and I've always thought that we've been bad because we've traded up too many times... or worse yet, taken all of our players a round too early because we had a need.

Instead...Trade down... Ask for more than the picks are worth and when the other GM screams about it, offer to throw in one of our 5th rounders as a sweetener. Only take players that have slipped or you are 100% convinced about. Be smart, defer picks to next year if the other team is willing to do it. Go into EVERY draft with 10+ picks. It can be done, but it takes patience and a poker face.

Grier got 2 #1s and a #2 for Tunsil.

I think we might have the guy to pull this off.
Nice post brother!

I think Burrow will still go 1st but Herbert's week will help us anyway. Like it's been said above any team that was thinking about jumping in front of us might just stay pat and take Herbert if Tua's gone instead of spending picks they already don't have to move up.
This is the angle we should be focusing on, trying to find a way that we could draft Burrow is a bit of lost cause.

I think it has to do with potential, more than past performance.

There a lot of different QB profiles that have come into this league. Brady and Brees came into the league with some doubts about their arm strength, but their football smarts got them a ticket in.

Dan had a cannon and a phenomenal release but bombed his IQ test and wasn't considered as sharp... likewise Bradshaw.

They all come in with chips in their armour... and prospect fatigue has been mentioned, and is a thing.

Herbert, Eason... even Love are tools guys. If the light goes on... OMG.

Fromm is a Brady type of prospect.

Both can work.

I understand all that. Still just dont see it.

Against guys trying not to get hurt, that have practiced together for a week in a generic defensive scheme.

They make more of an impression at the practice sessions than the actual game.

But whatever, time will tell.
I agree, the actual game itself is a very small part of the overall "senior bowl" week.

OP was framed in a way that has to do only with the game, but there were also practice evals, interviews, coachability assesments, etc happening.

It isn't some huge paradigm shifting event, but it also isn't completely meaningless either.
I just can't see the love for Herbert.
That's a pretty broad statement. Care to elaborate?

Back
Top Bottom