Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades?

Outsmart ourselves???? How?
we’re picking 6 and picked up another first rounder for next year.
you need to read a self help book to lift your spirits
Extra 3rd next year and extra 1st in 2023.

The only reason we are having this discussion is because of a trade 2 years ago. We gave up something in the short term(LT) and gained so much for the future. In fact, it still hasn’t payed off completely. So why is it bad, again?
T
In the Trade back to 12, along with the 2022 and 2023 first we should have gotten more value for this season. A 3rd and 4th this year or a 2nd.

Then, even if you still do the Philly deal, you got yourselves either an extra 2, or 3 and 4 THIS season.

You could then, more reasonably move way down from 18 and garner future capital without that team having to give up picks this year. We wouldn't mind, in this scenario we already have more 21 selections.

Imagine having 6, an extra 1st the next two seasons, and an extra 2nd or 3rd + 4th for this current draft.

The fact that we did not get any 2021 picks weakens our position at 18 and the perceived value of the entire two trades currently.

I still view it as a net gain, but fear Grier did not prioritize capital for this season enough.

AND, might have played his cards too soon because draft day could have had a deal like I layed out....

But then it would have been tougher to get back to 6.

Lots on angles. Hope we made the right decision.
Yeah I can not only imagine it -------- but that's what we should have achieved in terms of IMMEDIATE value.

Hell I'd settle for just an R2 in '21.

The FACT Grier did this trade with ZERO net immediate value is a LOSER!

Either that or I just didn't realize how our roster is so overstocked with premium players at every position!

>>> this we can "afford" to ignore "immediate needs" because we have none.

But maybe we'll have some is '23?

We literally have no idea how the Dolphins have these guys ranked..

Watch Pitts and Chase be there at 6 and we still select Smith.

If they have Smith/Waddle ranked pretty close to Pitts and Chase then trade down was absolutely a no-brainer.
I don't feel that Waddle and Smith rank equally in the NFL. Smith's weight is a problem. I don't believe he plays at 170 but closer to 155-160. The fact he refused to be weighed at Senior bowl is a huge red flag.

Said this right away and good luck with the incoming.

The net net result of the trade was POOR value. Period.

And it will sink in. Sooner or later.

We traded #3 for #6 and got...

An R3 in '22 and and R1 in '23.

That's not even poor. It's horrible.

Picks in the future are significantly discounted in value terms.

The R1 in '23 is effectively the SAME value as an R3 in '21.

The R3 in '22 is effectively the SAME value as an R4 in '21.

So... we trade that super high value pick and EFFECTIVELY got an R3 and an R4 in present value!

Like I said. That BLOWS.

In addition, we also lost value in the mid rounds with a pick swap.

So as great as the swindle was Grier achieved with O'Brien, he BLEW a ton of value...

I tend to agree, most of us said before we moved from 3 that the very least we wanted was a first in '22 and a second rounder. TDN had us grabbing even more capital than that in their mock trades. We ended up with a comp 3rd rounder (very low) and a first in '23 from a team that went to the super bowl 13 months ago or so. I liked us going back up to 6 but I didn't like the price we paid for that move. We really should have stayed put and waited this out, not sure what the need was to trade out so early.

Keep something in mind..Detroit was in the similar position last year..sitting at 3,not needing a QB and with 2 elite QB prospects on board, they couldn't even get a 3rd rounder to swap picks with MIA or SD.

Just the fact that Grier was able to get a future 1st and 3rd for moving down 3 spots is astonishing.

You can criticize his ability to draft all you want..but he has definitely established himself as a very savvy GM when it comes to trading

Said this right away and good luck with the incoming.

The net net result of the trade was POOR value. Period.

And it will sink in. Sooner or later.

We traded #3 for #6 and got...

An R3 in '22 and and R1 in '23.

That's not even poor. It's horrible.

Picks in the future are significantly discounted in value terms.

The R1 in '23 is effectively the SAME value as an R3 in '21.

The R3 in '22 is effectively the SAME value as an R4 in '21.

So... we trade that super high value pick and EFFECTIVELY got an R3 and an R4 in present value!

Like I said. That BLOWS.

In addition, we also lost value in the mid rounds with a pick swap.

So as great as the swindle was Grier achieved with O'Brien, he BLEW a ton of value...

We ALSO gained the value in draft capital between our pick and SF’s.

They finished in last place and will likely be starting a rookie QB or a disgruntled starter and their best player is coming off an ACL tear.

We might’ve ended up giving Philly pick 26 and gained pick 6 or 7 from San Fran.

This is not the SB contending team from 2 years ago.

Miami can still trade down with a team looking for a QB, if Atlanta takes one of their guys at 4.

There is a BIG difference between our 2022 first and that of a team with a rookie starter.

Miami is NOT making that deal with Philly with San Frans pick.

Last edited:
Yeah I can not only imagine it -------- but that's what we should have achieved in terms of IMMEDIATE value.

Hell I'd settle for just an R2 in '21.

The FACT Grier did this trade with ZERO net immediate value is a LOSER!

Either that or I just didn't realize how our roster is so overstocked with premium players at every position!

>>> this we can "afford" to ignore "immediate needs" because we have none.

But maybe we'll have some is '23?
I completely understand your logic. I do however teams that are moving up always pay a premium. Your looking at these trades as if we had to have won both of them. Going from 3 to 12 and netting 2 future 1s and a 3 was a huge amount of drafts capital for 9 spots. Go back and look at what was given up for moving up (KC moved up 17 spots and gave up a current 3 and 1 future 1st/Houston gave up one future 1 to move up 13 spots). Granted these were not in the top five however they are noted especially when no team was willing to trade up last year with two elite QB prospects on the board. Again I said this in another thread this was a 3 team trade and we were never going to stay at 12. We paid a premium to move back to OUR spot where they felt comfortable

I realize you have to live up to your Username but calling Grier a loser is silly. Do I wish we got more picks this year? Heck yeah! I believe Chris Grier to be a controlled gambler (which I realize is somewhat of a conundrum). He was willing to pay a premium to guarantee himself one of their top people on their board.

I don't feel that Waddle and Smith rank equally in the NFL. Smith's weight is a problem. I don't believe he plays at 170 but closer to 155-160. The fact he refused to be weighed at Senior bowl is a huge red flag.

I don't consider player's weight that put up elite numbers playing at the highest level of competition as a RED FLAG.

Farley's bad back and 2 surgeries is a red flag. Parson's maturity issues are a red flag.

If you don't think that NFL teams have a good idea how much Smith weighs, you are seriously underestimating the multi-bullion dollar business that the NFL is.

Sure, you can argue that you PREFER Chase over Smith based on x,y and z - fine. But to say that's a red flag to some team, that's just silly.

It isn't just his weight rather his refusal to be weighed that is a red flag. Did I ever say NFL teams didn't know what he really weighs?
That's why some experts feel Smith may fall to round 2.
I don't want to draft a 6-1, 155lb WR with our 6th pick.
You can either get upset and take my opinion as some mistaken grievance against you personally or you can accept my pov differs from yours.
Up to you.

It isn't just his weight it's that he refused to be weighed that is a red flag. Did I ever say NFL teams didn't know what he really weighs?
That's some experts feel Smith may fall to round 2.
I don't want to draft a 6-1, 155lb WR with our 6th pick.
You can either get upset and take my opinion as some mistaken grievance against you personally or you can accept my pov differs from yours.
Up to you.

Lmao literally have yet to see one expert that thinks that Smith is falling to round 2.
Seriously please show me one REPUTABLE person or scout that has Smith falling that far

Lmao literally have yet to see one expert that thinks that Smith is falling to round 2.
Seriously please show me one REPUTABLE person or scout that has Smith falling that far
Facts you can hopefully comprehend.
Smith was listed at 175lbs at Alabama.
It was leaked by team mates he is closer to 160 at best.
He refused to be weighed at Senior bowl.
Then takes 2 months to add weight and after that he actually weighed 170lbs.
Can you see the problem?

Facts you can hopefully comprehend.
Smith was listed at 175lbs at Alabama.
It was leaked by team mates he is closer to 160 at best.
He refused to be weighed at Senior bowl.
Then takes 2 months to add weight and after that he actually weighed 170lbs.
Can you see the problem?

You still haven't answered my question. You claim that EXPERTS think he's dropping to 2nd round because of his weight.

I listen to a ton of podcasts and I seriously have never heard anyone mention him even dropping to late teens.

Almost every writer I trust has him in their top 10 prospect rankings despite his thin build.

I absolutely respect if that's your OPINION of him but please don't mislead us by stating that it's some sort of expert consensus on Smith

This forum is ****ing classic. The same people who bitched in the first 20 minutes after the trade from 3 to 12 about how the Fins would now miss out on any of the top play makers; Chase, Pitts, Waddle and Smith... Are now complaining about how the Fins are going to miss out on either Chase or Pitts after the underwear olympics. While totally negating the Fins will still get Smith or Waddle along with an extra 1st and 3rd round pick.

News flash, if used properly they are all going to be really good.

Back
Top Bottom