Do You Guys Get Why This Team Needs Tannehill Now? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Guys Get Why This Team Needs Tannehill Now?

Can you really say that Tannehill didn’t leave a lot plays on the field over the first 5 weeks?

We scored TWO offensive TDs on opening day. We scored three offensive TDs against the Jets and were shut out in the second half. Against the Raiders, two TDs that weren’t trick plays. Forget the Pats game. And ONE offensive TD agains the Bengals.

So what are we talking about here? Are you telling me Tannehill had this few opportunities to make plays over the first five weeks and nailed them all?

Yes. Feel free to go through the tape game by game with me if you want. I wouldn’t be saying this if it didn’t happen on tape.

It’s odd to me that it seems like this offense has more opportunity to make plays without Tannehill than with but if that’s what the tape tells me I’m gonna roll with it.

The protection or o line play period has never been as good as it was vs the bears. Tanny and Brock in that one I think would have executed at a similar clip. Vs the lions zero doubt tanny doesn’t check down every pa vertical shot opportunity we had or throw the ball on the 5th row every time he was flushed. Now make up for Ricky jean Francois whooping Jesse marginal to date Davis 2 times off the call for sacks no tanny takes those sacks too.

Vs Houston tanny doesn’t play that level. Sure he takes the sack when watt murders James in the first half but we ran the ball with success and we had plenty of opportunities to make plays in the passing game and Brock played like Brock plays over and over.

You want to start with week 1? Tanny made two mistakes one an underthrown fade route to gesicki which he said slipped out of his hand and the other a deep post route where grant quit on the route and curled inside.

Vs the jets Miami had problems with that front most of the game. I’m not gonna sit here and tell you that tanny doesn’t need solid o line play he does. But you don’t get rid of a qb cause the o line can’t do its job unless the qb is holding you back. Period. We ran zone read out the nose cause we couldn’t run the ball to save our lives vs that front any other way.

Vs the raiders we played a half of too conservative play calling and yes in the second half tanny benefited from some speed guys making perimeter field plays from the backfield. The entire league uses those plays by the way.

Vs the patriots entire team got whooped. No show. Yep Ryan takes his share of it. O line play was poor couldn’t run the ball. Meet me at the qb.

Vs cinci we played really solid ball til the wheels fell off late 3rd quarter. Starts with max protect failure up front snow balls on a attempted dump to avoid the sack to the tight end bad bounce. But before that geno Atkins released multiple times to the qb untouched basically. Second half we lost tunsil and wheels came off.

On 3rd and 17 mind you chasing scoreboard and clock running out he gets flushed forward tries to throw a deep ball again chasing sticks and de hits his arm fumble td game over. It happens folks. It sucks and all but it happens to all of them. Not the injury but the hit on the throwing arm in the motion and the fumble.

Anyways I think there’s two take away here. Solid o line play matters for Ryan Tannehill just like it matters for any pre snap and progression read based qb. If we don’t get it he has rough days.

The improv side of things in terms of the pure player aspect is probably his biggest weakness. He’s a highly script qb

I can win with a script qb as long as he executes the ask and doesn’t lose games for me with his play.

Brock’s gonna lose you more games than he does anything else. But that’s irrelevant he’s a place holder today.

Now if you want to replace tanny because of the medical of late I can’t argue that one. And if he’s doesn’t play the rest of the way or stay healthy once he does come back I think the odds of Miami moving on despite the cap hit this offseason shift closer to 50/50.

The good thing about our QB situation is that we have two capable back-up QB's on our roster, as in Ostweiler and Tannehill...

The Tannehill project should be over, and to further prove his status as a back-up...if we were to release him, out of 32 teams, what teams would pick him up as their long term answer?

The good thing about our QB situation is that we have two capable back-up QB's on our roster, as in Ostweiler and Tannehill...

The Tannehill project should be over, and to further prove his status as a back-up...if we were to release him, out of 32 teams, what teams would pick him up as their long term answer?
Right. I always think how many QB's out there that I would trade him for straight up. Over 20 just so you know. That's bottom third of the league.

The only teams he wouldn't be the backup/placeholder on are the Jags and Dolphins, and maybe the Giants.

The only teams he wouldn't be the backup/placeholder on are the Jags and Dolphins, and maybe the Giants.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. There's other lesser qb's at this point in their careers but they are rookies so they're giving them a shot over Tanne.

I'm confused. Offense doesn't seem any more competent with Tannehill or Oswieler. Seems like it shows the exact opposite that he's not much better than a scrub like Osweiler.

Right. I always think how many QB's out there that I would trade him for straight up. Over 20 just so you know. That's bottom third of the league.
Name those teams....

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. There's other lesser qb's at this point in their careers but they are rookies so they're giving them a shot over Tanne.
Cleveland would 't trade Mayfield for Tannehill...neither would the Jets (Darnold). AZ jumped us to get Rosen so I doubt them, as well. Buffalo spent a top 10 pick on Allen...doubt that.

Tannehill is that mediocre girl your buddy is dating that he keeps going back to for some reason no one can figure out.
Familiarity...which breeds contempt in many cases.

Agreed! I can’t believe anyone thinks that Tammy is the answer. The guy might be able to start for Jacksonville. I can’t think of any other team that would want Tammy for a starter with his price tag. He is a backup on at least 30 other NFL teams.

We all know Tannehill's flaws. He doesn't ever dominate the competition. His field vision at times is lacking. He can crumble under pressure. He's not the QB you envision when you draft one number 7 overall.

Still, people have gotten way too excited about Brock putting up yardage and at least playing competent in his absence. Like a lot of NFL QB's, he's got some things he does positive, and those are usually different than the other guy. Brock has felt pressure pretty well, stayed fluid, lead an offense that could stay on the field and convert at least a few third downs, etc. He's played three games and the offense was the better of our two units in all three games. I wanted Brock here last year, and he has vindicated me, as he has played better than Cutler and would have been less damaging to team chemistry than bringing in an annointed starter who wasn't good. He has been accurate on short and intermediate routes.

After three games though, you see why some guys are not starter material in this league. Osweiler just doesn't have the ability to make big plays. Except for the Pats game, Tannehill nailed a pretty significant big play at some point in the game, case in point him getting Stills on a toe-tapper in the back of the end zone against the Raiders. Our team didn't play well in that 3-0 stretch, and the big plays Tannehill made amongst a lot of mediocrity were a difference in the game. There's a reason why Tannehill had been on a great run with Gase. For the first time in his career he found a way to put games away and make things happen in the fourth quarter. There were so many times tonight where we settled for FG's because of third down plays where Osweiler gave up on a play after being driven from the pocket, and he could have at least attempted running for a couple yards rather than throwing the ball out of bounds. In the second half, getting field goals in those moments instead of first downs effectively sealed the game.

We were reasonably productive on offense tonight and we only scored 23 points in a game that basically became a shootout. Though the Texans pass rush was tough we weren't outmanned in any aspect tonight. Tannehill starting at QB probably makes less plays overall but I think he has no problem scoring 23 tonight. I'm ready to see him back in action and hope I see it soon, especially if Parker is ready to roll.

Can he play defensive back?

Back
Top Bottom