Dolphins and Ravens bid for Kerry Collins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins and Ravens bid for Kerry Collins

Tailgun said:
God. Kerry Collins, Tommy Maddox, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington; the procession of bums through our clubhouse this year has been really depressing.

Gone are the dreams of Jay Cutler, Drew Brees or even Patrick Ramsey. Oh well...

Jets fan?

Patrick Ramsey? :sidelol:

Quote (Samphin):I have ssen enough of him in Oakland to know that he holds onto the ball too long

A 2 step drop was too long with that line of Oaklands last year. Yeah, he did do poorly, and is accountable for a good % of those mistakes. To say that he had the best WR corp in the NFL is over-doing it. Moss was injured all year, and they wish that they had as much chemestry as the 2004 Dolphins. (That's just a bad joke / reminder.) To put him with a decent OLine, maybe he'll resurrect himself.

In_Flames said:
you're actually calling Daunte a bum :rolleyes2 ..please refer to the Culpepper Manifesto...thankyou
No interest, I actually watch the man play. Hey, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm just sick of one flawed QB after another being brought in here. IMO, Culpepper is just more of the same and has 'huge bust' written all over him.

But we'll see. Let the season play out. Can he throw anything other than deep patterns? Can he make the skill throws like the curls and the in-patterns? If you've watched him over the years, you'd know him to be a poor decision-maker who takes an eternity in the pocket (and still scrambles 70% of the time and can get fumbled quite easily).

Having said that, I'm no more thrilled at the prospect of Kerry Collins, Tommy Maddox or Joey Harrington. I mean, there's a chance Harrington might just need a change of scenery.

But I still wish we'd gotten a better, total package than what's been so far.

Tailgun said:

like who...a busted up Brees?? a rookie?? no rook would be able to step in and start right away...CPep was our best option out there...

Dolfan984 said:
Jets fan?

Patrick Ramsey? :sidelol:
Keep laughin', but I'd have taken Ramsey over Culpepper. Really. Better attitude, more upside and every bit as strong an arm -- and more accurate IMO. Only time will tell, not you, whether I was right or wrong.

As for the Jets, laugh all you like, but they are handling their QB situation the way I'd wish we handled ours. They got their starter renegotiated and coming back with one more chance to prove himself, picked up a young guy with a great arm who might just need a new address and are now talking about trading up to get the best quarterback available on Draft Day: Matt Leinart. My friend, you'd better hope they are as incompetent an organization as you think.

Imagine all those years playing against Ken O'Brien if we hadn't had our Marino?

Tailgun said:
No interest, I actually watch the man play. Hey, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm just sick of one flawed QB after another being brought in here. IMO, Culpepper is just more of the same and has 'huge bust' written all over him.

But we'll see. Let the season play out. Can he throw anything other than deep patterns? Can he make the skill throws like the curls and the in-patterns? If you've watched him over the years, you'd know him to be a poor decision-maker who takes an eternity in the pocket (and still scrambles 70% of the time and can get fumbled quite easily).

Having said that, I'm no more thrilled at the prospect of Kerry Collins, Tommy Maddox or Joey Harrington. I mean, there's a chance Harrington might just need a change of scenery.

It's funny when people compare Culpepper to our previous QB's we've had after marino.:shakeno:

Under the circumstances Sage's release is very strange. He could easily have been our man until Culpepper is ready and he (Sage) would have cost, not more anyway, than any of the other guys the Dolphins are talking to to replace him. You would have thought Saban would have wanted to keep at least one QB with experience with the team on the roster.

icephinfan said:
Espnews John Clayton says the Dolphins and Ravens are trying to land Kerry Collins as a backup QB. Would we like to see Collins as our new backup?

I wouldn't mind. I had preferred Griese but Collins should be a nice 2nd option.

I don't understand some of you. He isn't coming in to be our starter for a season, he will likely just start a couple of games and then he will go to the bench. Just chill because he is probably the best option as a backup.

I think the jury is still out on Culpepper. I'm not going to say he's a bust, but I'm also not going to go ahead an unveil his name in the ring of honor. I think with better coaching he can flourish, but again, not sure.

As for Collins, I'm totally for that. I've had a lot of respect for Collins since he overcame a lot of his character flaws early in his career and restarted his career in New York. I think he has the potential to be a good system quarterback and I think he'd do well here. I'd be completely for that acquisition.

However, if given the choice between potentially selecting Brodie Croyle or Charlie Whitehurst (or even Omar Jacobs) later in the draft or signing another vet, I'd kind of like to bring in the rookie. I still think Croyle could be a very good NFL QB.

FRESHNESS said:
Quote (Samphin):I have ssen enough of him in Oakland to know that he holds onto the ball too long

A 2 step drop was too long with that line of Oaklands last year. Yeah, he did do poorly, and is accountable for a good % of those mistakes. To say that he had the best WR corp in the NFL is over-doing it. Moss was injured all year, and they wish that they had as much chemestry as the 2004 Dolphins. (That's just a bad joke / reminder.) To put him with a decent OLine, maybe he'll resurrect himself.

Oakland was certainly not ideal with their O-Line, but I feel that ours may be suspect at best right now too. It looks as though McKinney will be the center again and Hadnot, James, Shelton and Carey around him. Sure, they gave up a small amount of sacks last year, but part of that came from Gus getting rid of the ball on time and escaping (somehow) from the rush.

Kerry can't do either of those and if the line decides to act about the same, he could cost us a game or two if he has to go. Randy Moss was just ONE part of the talented receiving corps of Oakland. Jerry Porter, Doug Gabriel, the catching ability of Lamont Jordan and their big tight end Anderson.

Kerry seemed to miss a lot of open receivers and paniced on the few times he saw the pass rush coming and threw into coverage.

Having said all that, I don't have a solution that is better. Harrington is intruiging due to him being young and in a bad environment up in Detroit. He has talent but you still wonder if he is too far gone mentally now to be saved.

Maddox does nothing forme either. He does have the relationship with Mularkey, but that offense won't be here and to be honest, I think we are going to rely on our QB more this year than in a long time. I don't feel comfortable with Maddox's arm taking us anywhere.

Lemon, or a rookie would be the only other route I can think of and that always is a crapshoot too. I don't know. Anyway we can get Sage's contract ripped up with the Texans and come back?

chdoyle said:
Under the circumstances Sage's release is very strange. He could easily have been our man until Culpepper is ready and he (Sage) would have cost, not more anyway, than any of the other guys the Dolphins are talking to to replace him. You would have thought Saban would have wanted to keep at least one QB with experience with the team on the roster.

I don't think Roselfels would have been the guy who could lead this team to victory against teams like Pittsburgh. Sage was extremely Jekyll and Hyde and was much more effective in relief when there was nothing to lose. Obviously the coaching staff didn't see Sage as a real option at backup or they would have tried to re-sign him during this past season or very early in the off-season.

Back
Top Bottom