Dolphins Expected To Explore Dealing Qb Ryan Tannehill | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Expected To Explore Dealing Qb Ryan Tannehill

Absolutely we’re negotiating from a position of strength. Who cares what the media says. We have no alternative to Tannehill at the moment, he is affordable, and he plays the most important position on the field. We can easily keep him as a starting QB next year. We don’t HAVE to trade him. So if you want him, make an offer we can’t refuse.

What makes you think we’re in a position of weakness?
Everything I've said previously? We have literally told the world we want to move on. As I mentioned above, think Monty Burns negotiating with the Germans. Tannehill has shown himself to be an average QB. He's injury prone now. He's gun shy after years of beatings. We've no alternative to Tannehill, but we've also already told the world we're tearing it down, so it's not like we're in a win now mode anyway.

2019 Russell Wilson is not 2013 Russell Wilson or even 2016 Russell Wilson.

The Seahawks developed him properly. They surrounded him with a good defense and a running game and let him play to his strengths while developing him into a great quarterback. He is now a great quarterback. The next time he has to make a play to win a Super Bowl, he'll probably do it. He is no longer a guy being asked to ride on the bus. He is now fully capable of driving the bus.

Every team that wants to develop a quarterback should look at what Pete Carroll did there and take notes. Take a lot of notes. The Dolphins ought to be the first team in the line with a notepad and a pencil.

No, they surrounded him with a GREAT defense and running game, the team is not successful when those things are not in place like last year.

And I would wait until he at least beats the Cowboys to call him a great QB, if he puts up another stinker then his playoff play will be s*** outside of Super Team 2013, not that anyone will care but that will be the truth.

I do think that the team tellign people "He won't be here, period" significantly weakens our negotiating leverage. That's just reality. It's like the Baltimore Ravens and John Harbaugh. If Miami is serious about pursuing Harbaugh -- and Harbaugh wants to come here -- then the Ravens are going to get a lot less in return for Harbaugh than they would have if they had just kept their damn mouths shut earlier in the season.

With that said, I also think people here underestimate a potential market for Tannehill. It really depends on who winds up coaching which teams and which quarterbacks get cut, but Washington, Denver, and the Raiders could all be very interested.

Crazy how rival executives are trying to downplay the trade value of a player on the block for the Miami Dolphins. I can't possibly imagine why they would do that.

That’s certainly true, but we are also about to have a new coach in here who will “like Tannehill and think they can work with him” to downplay those reports. We honestly don’t have the perfect position for negotiations, but for the first time in recent memory we’re definitely negotiating from a position of strength. It’s time for Grier to show us how different from Tannenbaum he really is.

Not sure I'll be right but I see Tannehill going to Jacksonville for there 4th round pick.

Everything I've said previously? We have literally told the world we want to move on. As I mentioned above, think Monty Burns negotiating with the Germans. Tannehill has shown himself to be an average QB. He's injury prone now. He's gun shy after years of beatings. We've no alternative to Tannehill, but we've also already told the world we're tearing it down, so it's not like we're in a win now mode anyway.

Sounds like you just described Sam Bradford, yet the Eagles got a first for him?

I think Sam Bradford is both a good and bad example.

The Vikes traded for Bradford on the eve of the season after their starter's knee blew up and they desperately needed someone. They called to inquire for him and they were held over a barrel.

That's pretty much the best compliment you can give Tannehill. He was a warrior, be was a tough SOB, unfortunately there are more important things to playing QB than just being a tough SOB.

The majority of average players would have some pretty good games if they were given 7 years to play. Hell Josh Allen just had a 5 TD game and he's a below average QB.

And surely Buffalo isn’t stacked with talent. Who are their WRs again?
Not sure if it’s been mentioned already because I haven’t read the entire thread yet but this is ridiculous. If you take the games against the Dolphins defense as a measuring stick for QBs you will be severely disappointed. Geno Smith would be in the Hall of Fame if he had played the Dolphins every week.

The Bills scored 29.5 points per game against our defense but on the season they scored 17 points per game. Which is 3 points per game less than our anemic offense. So hold your praise for Josh Allen just a bit.

I think Sam Bradford is both a good and bad example.

The Vikes traded for Bradford on the eve of the season after their starter's knee blew up and they desperately needed someone. They called to inquire for him and they were held over a barrel.

That’s a good point. But then that tells me if I’m not getting an offer I like for Tannehill, I hold onto him until someone's knee blows up and I borrow the Eagles’ barrel to hold the inquiring team over. Under no circumstances do I let a valuable asset like Tannehill go for anything less than what he’s worth.

Sounds like you just described Sam Bradford, yet the Eagles got a first for him?
After pre-season games, when TB went down with an injury, and Minny were in win now mode? Fair enough, if we wait until pre-season, maybe there'll be an injury to a team who are looking to win it all. That would change things. But let's be clear. Bradford was former offensive rookie of the year. He was a Heisman winner. He was 28 at the time (turning 29 in November I believe). Tannehill will be 31. He had more potential than Tannehill, in my opinion.

That’s a good point. But then that tells me if I’m not getting an offer I like for Tannehill, I hold onto him until someone's knee blows up and I borrow the Eagles’ barrel to hold the inquiring team over. Under no circumstances do I let a valuable asset like Tannehill go for anything less than what he’s worth.

I agree with you. But on the other hand, I don't want to read this forum for six months when Tannehill is still on the roster going into training camp. I'm being selfish here.

These comparisons are great. Tannehill & Russell Wilson are in the same discussion constantly.

What do you think it would take for the Seahawks to even consider trading Russell Wilson?

These comparisons are great. Tannehill & Russell Wilson are in the same discussion constantly.

What do you think it would take for the Seahawks to even consider trading Russell Wilson?

Looks to me like you're the one bringing the discussion back to Russell Wilson after one guy brought him up and said some things nobody else agreed with.

Tannehill cap number makes him damn near untradeable. Any team wanting would only do so if he wanted to redo his deal.

Just release the guy, hes shell-shocked ala David Carr.

Ryan Tannehill regressed this season and played poorly down the stretch at the end. While I don't think we did him any favors with dogshit pass protection (I mean, watch the Jags game, it was just comical at that point) and a dogshit offensive scheme, and dogshit receivers, the fact is that he also struggled badly at times this season. Honestly, he took a big step back from 2016.

But he still has trade value and we should extract the most value that we can out of him as soon as possible.

People who think he has no trade value are kidding themselves. His contract is very reasonable NFL starter money and someone out there will look at the tire fire that is the Miami Dolphins and decide that they can do better with him.

It's up to our front office not to screw the pooch.

I maintain Tannehill is an average QB, but, you're right . . . The last 3 games were bad

Back
Top Bottom