Dolphins Fire Ol Coach Pat Flaherty; Dave Deguglielmo Promoted | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Fire Ol Coach Pat Flaherty; Dave Deguglielmo Promoted

In the end it is literally the same people who hated the hire of Flores and look for any excuse to dis the guy.
As @BillsFanInPeace said: position coaches do not have as much impact as Coordinators but their job is to get the units ready to function in a system installed by his superiors.
Obviously it is a lingering issue since spring. Maybe Flaherty couldn't or wouldn't coach the OL to get ready to function in our new offensive system. The timing is perfect. They waited for the first TC, decided it is a no-go and used the short break to make the change. That shows leadership and accountability and dedication to the success of the team.

Yep just look at what McD did in Buffalo and a lot of people initially flamed him for it. But First year HC he surrounded himself with Senior Veteran Coaches. Because he was just feeling his way and wanted to make sure he had people he could lean on. Now the assistants are mostly changed out especially on Offense bringing in Grinders and younger coaches because now he wants them to fit HIS vision.

So Flores hires someone he was familiar with as he was learning to be a HC. Found it wasn’t working. And made a change.

Everything might Fail for Flores or he might succeed as a HC. But all Fin Fans should be happy about his decisiveness. If he is that way with his own staff that is going to translate to the players as well.

This should be a moment of Hope and excitement that a coach and FO are so quick to admit a mistake and move on from it. Those are the hard decisions but the ones that can do it effectively are the ones you want running your football team.

I’m sorry guys, but ipso facto hiring a guy and firing him after four practices is dysfunctional. Going forward, he needs to be more coherent in his hiring practices. It’s embarrassing to fail so spectacularly in one of his key hires. You’re not going to see much debate on these points.

I’m sorry guys, but ipso facto hiring a guy and firing him after four practices is dysfunctional. Going forward, he needs to be more coherent in his hiring practices. It’s embarrassing to fail so spectacularly in one of his key hires. You’re not going to see much debate on these points.
It’s hard to argue this. It ‘ain’t a good look, although I’m happy with DeGuglielmo as the replacement.

Since when is a Position coach that is not the QB such a key hiring. OL coaches are recycled all over the league, why? Because in one scheme they may be great in another scheme they may not. It isn’t about 4 days of Practice it is about the entire Offseason and 4 days of Practice if the OL isn’t where the HC wants them to be scheme wise and the OL coach isn’t teaching what the HC wants well time to move on. Better now than flounder all season and now as an organization you don’t know if you need players or if a new coach will fix it.

>>> dysfunction?

Really?

"dysfunction" would be NOT correcting a situation -- which was ALREADY
proactively addressed by the prior addition of DeGuglielmo!

embarrassing???

For real?

To the contrary. It's an affirmative step to solve a critical issue.

Do you think you could hire like 25 assistants etc. and not want to make a correction?

As if you would be perfect?

Get over it.

Mistakes happen.

What really matters is CORRECTIONS and forward velocity.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

Allow me to make one somewhat technical correction.

What really matters is CORRECTIONS and forward acceleration (not velocity, which just says how fast you are going at the moment instead of how is the velocity changing , which is acceleration).

Yep just look at what McD did in Buffalo and a lot of people initially flamed him for it. But First year HC he surrounded himself with Senior Veteran Coaches. Because he was just feeling his way and wanted to make sure he had people he could lean on. Now the assistants are mostly changed out especially on Offense bringing in Grinders and younger coaches because now he wants them to fit HIS vision.

So Flores hires someone he was familiar with as he was learning to be a HC. Found it wasn’t working. And made a change.

Everything might Fail for Flores or he might succeed as a HC. But all Fin Fans should be happy about his decisiveness. If he is that way with his own staff that is going to translate to the players as well.

This should be a moment of Hope and excitement that a coach and FO are so quick to admit a mistake and move on from it. Those are the hard decisions but the ones that can do it effectively are the ones you want running your football team.

If the Bills go .500 or under again this year, I’d be mildly shocked. They’ve accumulated way too much talent not to be in the Wildcard Hunt late in the season. The elephant in the room is Josh Allen. Can he move a team down the field with his arm when the game is on the line? Will a better o-line tempt the coaching staff to corral him into to pocket to limit his scrambling and avoid injury, thus taking away his legs? It’s a good and bad problem to have.

So is it more about Optics or performance on the field? What does people care about more?
Obviously you know the answer to that, but the Dolphins don’t really get the benefit of the doubt. We’re beaten down. We’re so used to dysfunction, that stuff like this just makes most of roll our eyes at this point.

When you’re a franchise like us that hasn’t had a competent o-line since the Clinton administration, it’s a key hiring.

Ok it was a hiring so wasn’t the DD hiring. So if you haven’t had a competent OL since Clinton Admin why would you want another season with a coach that isn’t getting it better wether he was hired in Feb this year or 10 years ago?

If the Bills go .500 or under again this year, I’d be mildly shocked. They’ve accumulated way too much talent not to be in the Wildcard Hunt late in the season. The elephant in the room is Josh Allen. Can he move a team down the field with his arm when the game is on the line? Will a better o-line tempt the coaching staff to corral him into to pocket to limit his scrambling and avoid injury, thus taking away his legs? It’s a good and bad problem to have.

Agree. It is all about Josh can he take that next step as a passer. If he does we will be dangerous I think.

Ok it was a hiring so wasn’t the DD hiring. So if you haven’t had a competent OL since Clinton Admin why would you want another season with a coach that isn’t getting it better wether he was hired in Feb this year or 10 years ago?
My point is he Flores should have just hired DeGuglielmo in February and called it a day.

Back
Top Bottom