Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft?

In a zone scheme, just look for fast, athletic, smart tough OL to develop. We can find guys like that in the mid-rounds all day long.

We absolutely need to use the top of our draft on explosive players who win games in today's NFL (WR, CB, pass rusher and an elite TE).

OL can be developed, but elite athleticism is harder to find.

We are in prime position to take the BEST WR OR TE in the entire draft, two positions of need that also represent most likely the BPA at the time of our pick. It shouldn't be this difficult really...

I seriously doubt we will trade up. Just because we have five picks in the first three rounds doesn't mean we will move up. There are no guys in the top five who are really franchise making players...so why move up??? We have many needs, not just a need for ONE player.

Its gonna happen because their is not enough evidence yet that Martin wont get Tannehill killed and he is your franchise. they are gonna try to trade up if they dont sign a OT in FA. they have to try. If it does not work out then Winston or Mckinnie are fallback choices after the draft. Philbin does not want to put lots of cap space into FA linemen. He wants the larger cap space to be for the playmakers.

Just like the Albert debate, people are have no plan of how to fix the OT position and have no clue how important the position happens to be.

A concern? he will reitre by week 3 of preseason. He is too small to take the beating he will get in the NFL.

Joe Morris, RB - 5ft 7 inches 190 Pounds - Had a good career (8 seasons) and won a Super Bowl with the Giants in the 80s. This guy was playing regularly against some of the meanest and toughest defences ever. Look no further than Buddy Ryan's Eagles (Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner etc) for starters!

Here is a link of Joe Morris at work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2jKOq5_aNc

PS: Greg Cossel reckons that Tavon Austin will be able to handle the rigours of life in the NFL

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot predict durability or injury. It's asinine to think you can do it based on size, nor are you automatically at more risk for injury in the NFL as opposed to college.

Julio Jones was constantly nagged by injuries his entire career at Alabama, and hasn't had to deal with 'em in the NFL. There's a reason why smaller skill position players like Warrick Dunn, Napoleon Kaufman, Dave Meggett, Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Charlie Garner, Joe Morris, Darren Sproles, Quizz Rodgers, and hundreds more have all proven more durable than bigger guys like Ron Dayne, Ronnie Brown, Marion Barber, etc.

It comes down to playing style, ability to avoid taking big hits, and staying out from under the bottom of piles. All of this decreases odds of sustaining injuries.

Disregarding Tavon Austin's already proven durability, his playing style alone contributes to that. Now, he might go out and tear his ACL on his first play from scrimmage, but it won't have anything to do with his size. Yatil Green will vouch.

I like it Slimm! I like it...
Now, how about using your "influence" to pass this message along to the Dolphins Brass

"Don't f#$k it up Bro, Draft: TAVON AUSTIN!"

Thank you

You cannot predict durability or injury. It's asinine to think you can do it based on size, nor are you automatically at more risk for injury in the NFL as opposed to college.

Julio Jones was constantly nagged by injuries his entire career at Alabama, and hasn't had to deal with 'em in the NFL. There's a reason why smaller skill position players like Warrick Dunn, Napoleon Kaufman, Dave Meggett, Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Charlie Garner, Joe Morris, Darren Sproles, Quizz Rodgers, and hundreds more have all proven more durable than bigger guys like Ron Dayne, Ronnie Brown, Marion Barber, etc.

It comes down to playing style, ability to avoid taking big hits, and staying out from under the bottom of piles. All of this decreases odds of sustaining injuries.

Disregarding Tavon Austin's already proven durability, his playing style alone contributes to that. Now, he might go out and tear his ACL on his first play from scrimmage, but it won't have anything to do with his size. Yatil Green will vouch.

In a zone scheme, just look for fast, athletic, smart tough OL to develop. We can find guys like that in the mid-rounds all day long.

We absolutely need to use the top of our draft on explosive players who win games in today's NFL (WR, CB, pass rusher and an elite TE).

OL can be developed, but elite athleticism is harder to find.

I agree with your point the most. We drafted Jake Long #1 and how many playoffs did that get us to .... 0! I liked Jake but as important as it is to have a reliable LT blocking for a quarterback, we need players who can get the ball in the end zone. Either Martin or a LT we draft in the middle rounds will be sufficient in Philbin's system. To draft an LT in round 1 would go against everything they have done this offseason.

Well said. The guy whose durability just amazes me is Ray Rice. People were wary of picking him because he had 5,000 yards of mileage on him at Rutgers. But to get 5,000 yards to have to be pretty damn healthy every week for 3 straight seasons, even when you get the ball as much as he did. And since he came into the League, I don't think he's missed a game. This diminutive dude has been Baltimore's do-it-all workhorse runningback for 4 years and hasn't missed any time. Crazy.

I can see Slimm is on a rant so I hate to even get into it but it should be noted that the Falcons took the 6th best offensive tackle off the board in 2008 at #21 overall while guys like Jordy Nelson, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, Dustin Keller and Brandon Flowers were on the board. They also gave Tyson Clabo (their #2 offensive tackle) a 5 year, $25 million contract. They just re-signed Sam Baker to a 6 year, $42 million contract. I think they do value the position. Certainly not above QB, they didn't make that mistake...but they do value it.

I think it only follows logically that if pass rushers are valuable in this league then the players that negate pass rushers are also valuable. You don't take Bruce Irvin that high in the draft so you can send a bunch of package blitzes at a team. You take him to close out drives and close out games. But if he's valuable for his ability to do that, then I think the offensive tackle across from him is valuable for his ability to directly and consistently prevent him from doing that.

That's not to say that justifies trading into the top 6 to grab an offensive tackle. But I don't think all offensive line positions are created equally and so I don't really like the idea of just lumping it all together and making it your last priority. I think Lane Johnson would make a fine pick at 12 overall.

I'm not insinuating that Atlanta is content sending 5 cardboard cutouts out there to block for Matt Ryan. Protecting the quarterback and controlling the line of scrimmage is valuable. The point is, you don't have to keep investing top 15 picks into the offensive line to accomplish it..... particularly if your quarterback is good enough. Furthermore, it's not just Atlanta. Look around.

The point is that elite pass rushers, elite skill position talent, and elite cover guys are a lot harder to find if you're not taking them early in the draft... and these are what differentiates good teams from bad teams, not the left tackle. With the 12th pick, you need to be taking an impact player, not an offensive lineman. It applies even more if you're looking to trade up from #12.

Although I think you may be in luck, as it's a high probability that Miami grabs that high impact, difference making offensive lineman for you. I hope he does.

are people aware we got mike wallace? its like everything that just happened, didnt really happen.

do we really need tavon austin?

its an honest question.

Teams aren't going to just stand there and let Mike Wallace run by 'em all game. The NFL is a matchup league, and the team with the most explosive skill position talent to create mismatches, and that are better rushing the passer typically wins. Futhermore, Mike Wallace doesn't rush the passer or prevent teams from scoring.

I'm not insinuating that Atlanta is content sending 5 cardboard cutouts out there to block for Matt Ryan. Protecting the quarterback and controlling the line of scrimmage is valuable. The point is, you don't have to keep investing top 15 picks into the offensive line to accomplish it..... particularly if your quarterback is good enough. Furthermore, it's not just Atlanta. Look around.

The point is that elite pass rushers, elite skill position talent, and elite cover guys are a lot harder to find if you're not taking them early in the draft... and these are what differentiates good teams from bad teams, not the left tackle. With the 12th pick, you need to be taking an impact player, not an offensive lineman. It applies even more if you're looking to trade up from #12.

Although I think you may be in luck, as it's a high probability that Miami grabs that high impact, difference making offensive lineman for you. I hope he does.

If you're insinuating they're onto Jon Cooper...I suppose anything is possible, but I really don't think they're onto him at 12. Personally I wouldn't be. That's not the reason I think they won't do it. They do **** I wouldn't do all the time. There are other indications to me they're not onto Cooper.

As I said, if elite pass rushers are valuable then the players that consistently negate those elite pass rushers are also valuable. Jon Cooper doesn't do that. The Dolphins finally have a QB worth protecting so I don't see a problem with Lane Johnson at 12. I wouldn't be any more on board with Jon Cooper at 12 than I was with Mike Pouncey, though. And I thought Pouncey was the best center I'd seen since Mangold. Clearly better than his brother Maurkice whom I felt was overrated and overdrafted. Still didn't like the idea of taking interior OL at 15 overall. Yet, even that would be better than taking a guard that high. Centers play a more valuable role and have more potential to differentiate, especially when they have unique skills.

Back
Top Bottom