Dolphins trade for Bradley Chubb | Page 58 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade for Bradley Chubb

Ok, I'll go with some extremes here - So you believe giving up the last pick in the 1st, the last pick in the 4th and a terrible RB for a player let's say he was the greatest player ever to play any sport, but for possibly only 8 games is an ok trade because we don't always hit on our draft picks? I know there is talk about working on a long term deal, however, that is not guaranteed. You do know, he loves Denver and this scenario has happened before. I will be happy when he signs, I never said I didn't like picking him up, but I am sorry gambling with what we gave up is bad business, there is no argument.
How do you know that an extension hasn't been already worked out behind the scenes? There is no way they would give up a 1st round pick for Chubb just to let him leave after this season. If worst comes to worst they can use the franchise tag on him.

It has happened before. In both the NFL and MLB
Tell me when it happened before in the NFL? Plus baseball is a whole different deal. Draft picks aren't as important as they are in the NFL because you have a minor league system. Also there is no franchise tag in baseball.

Flores was all about getting elite defensive backs. And he had a really good defense that we still run today, so I won't fault him for that.

But I think Mike McD cares more about the Defensive Line, same as Shanny. McD even said it would be super hard for him to pass drafting a D Lineman in the 1st round.

Flores probably IMO over invested in the secondary. Its hard to expect a secondary in todays NFL, to constantly be lockdown in man d, Which is why so many teams switched to zone.

Last season 1st half of the year, and this season so far, NFL teams have clearly figured out how to beat our Blitz package, and when we rush 4 we simply dont produce. So getting Chubb was HUGE for us.
I think you're right on that. I expect that going forward this defense will be about DL pressure. They'll lean into Boyer's ability to find hidden gems at CB. I wouldn't be surprised if in two years we don't have any high priced CBs. And at that point we'll have a ton of high priced DL.

As a Broncos fan, I've watched every game that Chubb has played. I thought I'd pop in and give you guys an honest assessment of what you just traded for:

Positives-
1. Big time leader- loved in the locker room, voted team captain by his teammates
2. Sets the edge really well in the run game.
3. Very good pass rusher off the edge, which you desperately need.
4. 6'4 276 pound athletic beast
5. Just 26 years old, entering his prime.

Negatives-
1. He has 26 sacks, and 23 games missed due to injury.

So why did the Broncos trade him? They paid Randy Gregory in the offseason, draft Nic Bonnitto in the second round, and Baron Browning is a rising star that they want to get on the field more often. The Broncos have great depth at edge rusher so it was very unlikely they were going to give Chubb a 20+ million/year contract in the offseason. They also want to re-sign Dremont Jones soon. Interior pass rushers are harder to find than edge rushers. Plain and simple.

You guys got a big time leader that can dominate on the field- when he's healthy. If he stays healthy, it was a great trade for the Dolphins. I'd be excited about what Chubb can bring to your team. He's a pro bowl edge rusher with great character. I hope we look back and say that it worked out for both teams. Good luck Phins fans.

How do you know that an extension hasn't been already worked out behind the scenes? There is no way they would give up a 1st round pick for Chubb just to let him leave after this season. If worst comes to worst they can use the franchise tag on him.
Usually before the deal is done the team will touch base with the agent and get a feel for the parameters of the deal they're looking for. For example, I heard the Dolphins inquired about Hunt, but that his contract demands were higher than what they would consider. It would be unusual to have the whole deal done and unannounced, but you generally have an idea about what it will take to get a deal done.

Usually before the deal is done the team will touch base with the agent and get a feel for the parameters of the deal they're looking for. For example, I heard the Dolphins inquired about Hunt, but that his contract demands were higher than what they would consider. It would be unusual to have the whole deal done and unannounced, but you generally have an idea about what it will take to get a deal done.
My point was they aren't going to let Chubb leave after this season. They are going to keep him one way or the other even if they have to use the franchise tag on him.

Thoughts on getting Chubb signed to an extension. Do you think him not signing before the trade changes the outlook of the deal? I get they talked before and Miami felt good about getting a deal done, but now that the trade has happened does that change things on Chubb's side? His agent knows what the Dolphins gave up, and that puts more pressure on them to sign him, so do they come back now with a larger ask?

I’ve never put anyone on this site on ignore but ol Swiss boy is getting dangerously close.

There’s something entertaining about him though, like watching a midget try to reach for a cookie jar on the top shelf.
I have put several people on ignore and it's made my experience here much better. For example, I really like Thompson (I think he'd be great as a back-up next season and potentially a starter, though probably not for us), but if I listen to too much drivel about him from an idiot and then I'll end up (unfairly) resenting Thompson.

As a Broncos fan, I've watched every game that Chubb has played. I thought I'd pop in and give you guys an honest assessment of what you just traded for:

Positives-
1. Big time leader- loved in the locker room, voted team captain by his teammates
2. Sets the edge really well in the run game.
3. Very good pass rusher off the edge, which you desperately need.
4. 6'4 276 pound athletic beast
5. Just 26 years old, entering his prime.

Negatives-
1. He has 26 sacks, and 23 games missed due to injury.

So why did the Broncos trade him? They paid Randy Gregory in the offseason, draft Nic Bonnitto in the second round, and Baron Browning is a rising star that they want to get on the field more often. The Broncos have great depth at edge rusher so it was very unlikely they were going to give Chubb a 20+ million/year contract in the offseason. They also want to re-sign Dremont Jones soon. Interior pass rushers are harder to find than edge rushers. Plain and simple.

You guys got a big time leader that can dominate on the field- when he's healthy. If he stays healthy, it was a great trade for the Dolphins. I'd be excited about what Chubb can bring to your team. He's a pro bowl edge rusher with great character. I hope we look back and say that it worked out for both teams. Good luck Phins fans.
I was hoping you came here to give us some info. Thanks man, it's nice to hear a Bronco's fan assessment.

Back
Top Bottom