Dolphins want Dontari Poe to visit - Update: signed for the Falcons | Page 43 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins want Dontari Poe to visit - Update: signed for the Falcons

It has been reported that he is not interested in a reunion here. I guess it wasnt just Philbin - prob thought Mike turned his back on him also when he got to FA.

Where did you hear this report? I'm going to tweet him.

I would rather sign Hankins to tell you the truth, I think Poe will eat himself out of the league like Albert Haynesworth did in Washington. I think the Fins should see what Connor Barwin has left, He is only 30 years old and has a couple of double digit sack season's on his resume. The Eagles moved him from outside LB to End which I think was a big mistake and the reason his stats fell off. Put him back to his natural LB spot and let him get after the QB.

I would rather sign Hankins to tell you the truth, I think Poe will eat himself out of the league like Albert Haynesworth did in Washington. I think the Fins should see what Connor Barwin has left, He is only 30 years old and has a couple of double digit sack season's on his resume. The Eagles moved him from outside LB to End which I think was a big mistake and the reason his stats fell off. Put him back to his natural LB spot and let him get after the QB.

Barwin produced as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. We wouldn't fit as a 4-3 OLB or DE in ours. We don't blitz our LBs that often, we rely mainly on defensive line pressure.

He is on way to meet with Rams.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that it bodes well for us that we were his last visit. I do believe its between us and the Falcons, and I do believe we are his best chance at individual success and a big pay day in 2018. I'm being optimistic here, but I think we'll have Poe signed by Friday afternoon.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that it bodes well for us that we were his last visit. I do believe its between us and the Falcons, and I do believe we are his best chance at individual success and a big pay day in 2018. I'm being optimistic here, but I think we'll have Poe signed by Friday afternoon.

I believe Oakland is interested so we might have been his last stop.

I think Poe came to Miami for a free happy meal and that is it. I will be shocked if he signs a deal with the Dolphins. Look at Donta Hightower, how he used everyone else to up his value with the Patriots, which I think they seriously overpaid for his services. Probably out of fear the Steelers would sign him to replace Timmons.

I think Poe came to Miami for a free happy meal and that is it. I will be shocked if he signs a deal with the Dolphins. Look at Donta Hightower, how he used everyone else to up his value with the Patriots, which I think they seriously overpaid for his services. Probably out of fear the Steelers would sign him to replace Timmons.

I think you're right on with Poe and Hightower.

Though with Hightower, Steelers told him if he left without a deal it would be off the table which he did and then went to sign with the NE. Patriots may have overpaid to keep him but there's little doubt they'll pay all of that contact and probably find a way to recoup some of that through trade or another avenue.

The one thing "Trader Mike" is apparently pretty good at is closing the sale. If Poe walked out without a signed contract after a protracted day of meetings and negotiations, IMO, we should be prepared to kiss him goodbye :idk:

I agree with others who have said Hankins might be a better signing, and cheaper... Why has his market been so slow?

If I was in Dontari Poe's position where there is strong demand from multiple teams, I would want to visit each team, meet the Head Coaches, position coaches, GMs, etc. Each team knows from his agent what sort of remuneration he is hoping for and there are other considerations like taxes, etc to consider. I don't think that it's as simple as who offers the most money. Another key consideration is understanding what defensive system will apply and does he fit well in that system. Are there any issues associated with each team. Eg Tom Coughlin is now the top guy in Jax. He has cleaned out a lot of the players and is starting afresh. He will probably insist on the team being tightly disciplined, etc.. Atlanta had a good team last season but choked in the last quarter. It may be difficult for the team to psychologically overcome a choking performance like that.
While we as fans want an immediate decision, I respect the player's right to evaluate carefully all the strengths and weaknesses of each alternative team and sleep on it before making a decision.
Poe probably has a wife/partner and may want to discuss it with her. I can recall the story of a top O-lineman we were wanting to sign and the Dolphin GM of the day drove him around the beautiful beaches, but his wife was very religious and unimpressed by scantily clad beautiful bodies. He liked Miami but signed with Chicago for a little less because his wife called the shots.
I expect that we still have a decent shot. 9 hours of meetings in Miami sounds a pretty long time. If it wasn't a decent fit that time would have been condensed. It's also significant that Ndamukong Suh, Andre Branch and coach Adam Gase share the same player agent, Jimmy Sexton as Dontari Poe.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is this kid is obviously a smart guy.. Most FA sign to the first team that throws money at them. Chess player. Get him signed while he's here.

Back
Top Bottom