Dolphins want Dontari Poe to visit - Update: signed for the Falcons | Page 47 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins want Dontari Poe to visit - Update: signed for the Falcons

They should have at least known the type of money he was looking for before wasting all that time just to offer him less than half of what the team he had visited prior offered him.

We have two bums on the team who might as well be picking up their checks in ski masks and gloves that could have been cut to free up 7.5M but instead lets keep them and literally waste an entire day wining and dining Poe as if there was any chance he was going to accept half or less than half of what a Super Bowl team was offering him? Does that make any sense whatsoever? We got played.

Or was it more that we knew he was using us to run up the price on another team (as many players/agents have historically done with us) and this was our FU offer.

I'm glad we didn't offer more than what we did. If he wants to take your low ball offer, good for you. It doesn't hurt to at least see if he will bite. I don't even like 1 year rentals, that guy is just looking to get paid and then leave. Obviously, the way things are going, we are looking to have guys on the team that we can build around, not pay a ridiculous salary and then have them leave the year after for another team with money to blow. You know the cap is just going to keep going up and he's going to keep getting a ridiculous contract in free agency.

Or was it more that we knew he was using us to run up the price on another team (as many players/agents have historically done with us) and this was our FU offer.

Pretty stupid to waist all that time just to make a bogus offer. They should have just told him to pound sand and canceled his visit if they thought he was just trying to get more money from Atlanta. That time could have been better spent.

This sort of reminds me of the La'el Collins situation where I was begging Miami to call his agent's bluff and use one of our FOUR 5th rounds picks on the guy but instead Tannenbaum probably thought that with his relationship with Collins representation and some of his LSU buddies already here that it was pretty much a sure thing that he'd sign with us after going undrafted. This is the same ****, Sexton is my good buddy and with all of his clients here all we need to do is get a spot on Poe's free agent tour and once he's in the building we'll make it work.....SMH.

This is one of Tannenbaum's weaknesses.

I don't find an $8m one year rental to be wise decision myself , so I won't lose sleep over this.

I wasn't keen on a one-year rental per se, but to have been turned down b/c the offer was low and Misi/Jordan still remain on the team is a bunch of bull****.

Looks like Hankins is out of the question too since supposedly his is also looking for at least $8mil per year. So what other options are available to fill that rotational DT spot?

This sort of reminds me of the La'el Collins situation where I was begging Miami to call his agent's bluff and use one of our FOUR 5th rounds picks on the guy but instead Tannenbaum probably thought that with his relationship with Collins representation and some of his LSU buddies already here that it was pretty much a sure thing that he'd sign with us after going undrafted. This is the same ****, Sexton is my good buddy and with all of his clients here all we need to do is get a spot on Poe's free agent tour and once he's in the building we'll make it work.....SMH.

It would have been a bad move to draft Collins on day 3, when he publicly states he would've sat out the year to re enter the draft it just isn't worth it. Granted, maybe he was bluffing but it's risky. Also how does owning a player's rights affect that scenario?

Pretty stupid to waist all that time just to make a bogus offer. They should have just told him to pound sand and canceled his visit if they thought he was just trying to get more money from Atlanta. That time could have been better spent.

That certainly makes sense from an outside perspective, but this business like many is about relationships as much as it is about money or talent. To a certain extent I imagine you're forced to "play along" sometimes if an agent you know well (Sexton) is trying to sell you on something, even if you know it's BS. I'm sure our front office engages in all sorts of things we'd consider a waste of time but are necessary parts of a business. Just my 0.02.

That Collins thing still pisses me off. Our OL would be tits with him in there. Relative risk free at the time considering his slide.

Looks like Hankins is out of the question too since supposedly his is also looking for at least $8mil per year. So what other options are available to fill that rotational DT spot?

Odrick, who hates us.

That certainly makes sense from an outside perspective, but this business like many is about relationships as much as it is about money or talent. To a certain extent I imagine you're forced to "play along" sometimes if an agent you know well (Sexton) is trying to sell you on something, even if you know it's BS. I'm sure our front office engages in all sorts of things we'd consider a waste of time but are necessary parts of a business. Just my 0.02.

Who knows it could have been Tannenbaum just doing his buddy Sexton a solid to drive up Poe's price when the Dolphins never even planned on making a serious offer.

Back
Top Bottom