Draft Value: Trading 5 for 3 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Value: Trading 5 for 3

Agreed, I was using the 2 Tunsil picks as more of a last ditch max offer. Tua presumably the guy they covet and he is available by just pulling the trigger, Lions on the clock and other compensation offers fell through. It would sting, but hearing “The Miami Dolphins select Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama” and the war room going nuts would make the hurt go away real quick. That would be the only moment in which I for sure know that they had a target and they got their guy.

I would hope the #26, a second and maybe a day 3 pick would be suffice.

But we are giving up a first . . . No doubt about it.
Well that price just went up... Full clearance by March 9th... "Ready for OTAs"

I like Tua but man those injuries scares me. If we get him are we even going to get a full season with him , or just 4-5 games a year. I think the price will be too high. For such a high pock I want a player that hasn't been banged up like that. It's not like he is a peyton manning. To me all the QBs coming out are a crap shoot with Tua even more so with the injury concerns. I mean if he is there late first take a chance but your first pick should be a day one starter.

I like Tua but man those injuries scares me. If we get him are we even going to get a full season with him , or just 4-5 games a year. I think the price will be too high. For such a high pock I want a player that hasn't been banged up like that. It's not like he is a peyton manning. To me all the QBs coming out are a crap shoot with Tua even more so with the injury concerns. I mean if he is there late first take a chance but your first pick should be a day one starter.
High pick

I agree with the injury concerns, but no matter if it's Tua, Herbert, Love or whoever, I prefer they not start day 1.

As I've said before, most rookie QBs are really not ready, and are better served to sit for at least a few games, if not the majority of a season.

I think trading both Tunsil first round picks (along with the 5 pick) is very much an overbid, but validated if it secures you the QB you covet. I do not believe anybody else comes that strong. That would be my personal max offer in this scenario if running the team and one of these QBs is “my must have”.

The assumption out there is that this is Miami’s thought process, I am less sure of that, than others, that this is truly the case, but certainly wouldn’t be a bad approach if it secures your guy.

Free agency will do more to putting pieces to the puzzle than any of this combine stuff will offer.

That's a little rich for me, but it's opinion and that's OK.

I keep asking the same questions.

1) What can other teams offer? In general, I think teams want picks over a player off another teams roster.
2) Are the Lions in win now mode? If so, I don't see them picking a QB. I see them wanting all that compensation for moving back this year. I can't see them desiring to move back much because I think they covet an elite defensive player.

Raiders are the only team that could match our offer. Not too sure Lions want to move all the way down to 12. Now if we decide Tua and Burrow aren't wort the cost.....and the Raiders want to move up for Herbert....I would be happy to accommodate for picks 12 and 19.....but that is a totally different topic!

I'm still on record as saying I don't think there are more than maybe one or two teams that are in a position to offer a draft pick package of 5th overall this year and the Texans 1st and 2nd next year to move up to the 3 spot. So if you toss in another pick from this year I think Miami would easily have the best offer on the table.

If #3 is the trade you want to explore you better be ready to pick Herbert. I think the Bengals will draft Burrow. The Skins will be very tempted to pick Tua.

It's not that I think they'll take Tua. It's I have no idea what they'll do. Haskins didn't set the league on fire and it's not unusual for a new HC to want a new QB. As of now, if I had to guess, I'd say 'no idea.'
If you listen to some posters here, they’ll say their convinced that the lions are making a playoff run so therefore the Patricia camp will go impact player because they were told they’d be fired if they don’t make the playoffs. I’d take it as a grain of salt

If you listen to some posters here, they’ll say their convinced that the lions are making a playoff run so therefore the Patricia camp will go impact player because they were told they’d be fired if they don’t make the playoffs. I’d take it as a grain of salt
Detroit coach chances of making playoff.. they add one more team to playoff. I think Detroit coach going get fired at end of 2020 season..

If they are smart, it wont be about outbidding.

I'm not in favor of moving up, but if that is the choice, they should have a max offer in mind before hand. Once the cost exceeds that, walk away.

In any negotiation, from buying a car, to a billion dollar real estate deal, if you aren't willing to walk you get screwed.

Unequivocally correct.

You gotta know when to hold ‘em / know when to fold ‘em / know when to walk away / know when to run

If they are smart, it wont be about outbidding.

I'm not in favor of moving up, but if that is the choice, they should have a max offer in mind before hand. Once the cost exceeds that, walk away.

In any negotiation, from buying a car, to a billion dollar real estate deal, if you aren't willing to walk you get screwed.

The problem becomes when you draw that line and they ask for an addition 3rd round pick are you really willing to walk away from Tua or what ever player you want because of that 3rd pick. And once you move your line and say ok I'll take my origianl offer and add the 3rd round pick but nothing more are you really willing to walk away if they then say now we want the 4th round pick too? Do you really want took back and say the only thing that kept you from making a deal was 3rd or 4th round pick? I think it's hard to just draw that hard line in the sand and say I won't cross this amount.

The JJ chart is outdated and irrelevant. Look at recent trades and compare the situation yo what we are in.

The Jets traded an extra 3 seconds to move up ftom 6 to 3 for Darnold, total value 3100 according to the JJ chart for a pick worth 2200.

I'd imagine it would take something like 26 and 56.

The problem becomes when you draw that line and they ask for an addition 3rd round pick are you really willing to walk away from Tua or what ever player you want because of that 3rd pick. And once you move your line and say ok I'll take my origianl offer and add the 3rd round pick but nothing more are you really willing to walk away if they then say now we want the 4th round pick too? Do you really want took back and say the only thing that kept you from making a deal was 3rd or 4th round pick? I think it's hard to just draw that hard line in the sand and say I won't cross this amount.

Business school - have an ABSOLUTE line

never mind the charts for a minute......free agency is around the corner. there are two teams right behind us that might want to jump in front of us IF they don't settle their QB situation before the draft. Carolina says they're keeping Cam as their QB and if that's true then they will draft another position.

The chargers could end up with Teddy or even Brady. If that was the case they would not try to move up for a QB.
IMO, free agency will have as much to do with it as anything else. If Carolina and the chargers are out of the running then the price to move up for us won't be as high.

Back
Top Bottom