Draft Value: Trading 5 for 3 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Value: Trading 5 for 3

I’d really like to come out of the deal with the Lions 4th round pick along with the third overall if I have to trade up. I think there’s going to be some wicked good guards still on the board at the top of 4.

never mind the charts for a minute......free agency is around the corner. there are two teams right behind us that might want to jump in front of us IF they don't settle their QB situation before the draft. Carolina says they're keeping Cam as their QB and if that's true then they will draft another position.

The chargers could end up with Teddy or even Brady. If that was the case they would not try to move up for a QB.
IMO, free agency will have as much to do with it as anything else. If Carolina and the chargers are out of the running then the price to move up for us won't be as high.
that's a solid point. If Cam stays, that's $21M. The Chargers are interesting. They have a decent team with their defense and WR's. They have Ingram, James, Bosa and Perryman. They have two 1,000 WRs and Ekeler, who runs well and could have been a 1,000 WR too. I don't know, but if they can get younger at QB through FA, I agree, why would they need a QB. Free agency will settle the dust on some of this.

I admire positivity, but people are being too positive about Tua's injury lol. I wouldnt touch the guy even if he fell to R2.

Medical reports? I couldnt care less, they'll push him ....to get his payday. Everythings politics.

I still don't trust Snyder and Rivera.

I keep thinking about this, too. And if they try to hold the Dolphins over a barrel for the #2 pick when Miami is at #3, I think things get very interesting.

And then I start asking myself this:

Would you rather have Tua as your only first-round pick, or would you prefer to come out of the first round with Chase Young and two more first-round picks? Because I think if Washington says "Give us all three of your firsts for #2, or we'll take Tua," Grier tells them "Go **** yourselves, we'll take Chase Young."

And then what if those other two first round picks become Jordan Love and Xavier McKinney?

I admire positivity, but people are being too positive about Tua's injury lol. I wouldnt touch the guy even if he fell to R2.

Medical reports? I couldnt care less, they'll push him ....to get his payday. Everythings politics.

I don't understand this statement, how are folks being too positive exactly. Many on here said the kid would need to be wheeled out onto the stage on draft day, yet here he is 2 months before that date walking unaided with little to no limp. All the medicals reports that have been made available have been positive, he's even going to throw at a pro day, that's something I didn't even think was remotely possible. There has been zero negative reports on his recovery everything points to it going extremely well. So I have no clue where you are coming from, other than pushing your own agenda whatever that is.

If you are passing on a talent that he so obviously has, even if he falls to round 2, in a draft where we have 5 picks in those top 2 rounds, then I'm sure glad you're not Chris Grier, because that is, sorry to be blunt, completely out to lunch.

I don't understand this statement, how are folks being too positive exactly. Many on here said the kid would need to be wheeled out onto the stage on draft day, yet here he is 2 months before that date walking unaided with little to no limp. All the medicals reports that have been made available have been positive, he's even going to throw at a pro day, that's something I didn't even think was remotely possible. There has been zero negative reports on his recovery everything points to it going extremely well. So I have no clue where you are coming from, other than pushing your own agenda whatever that is.

If you are passing on a talent that he so obviously has, even if he falls to round 2, in a draft where we have 5 picks in those top 2 rounds, then I'm sure glad you're not Chris Grier, because that is, sorry to be blunt, completely out to lunch.

Here's what's even better: One of the weirdest hills that people have chosen to die on on this forum is what "Full Recovery" means. The argument has been posed that when surgeons said he would make a full recovery, that didn't mean he would be able to play football again at a high level.

Because, you know...the surgeons obviously didn't know who Tua was, and if they had known, they would have said, "Oh, ****! He's a FOOTBALL PLAYER? Oh! Well, um, let me make sure I qualify what I said. He'll be able to walk around just fine. But football? Gosh no!"

Here's an excerpt from the Herald yesterday:

"And on that note, Tagovailoa was asked if his doctors have told him they’re confident he’ll be as good after his recovery as he was before the injury.

“Yeah, my doctors have said that,” Tagovailoa said. “And I’m confident, yes sir.”"

Can we shelve that argument now? Doctors can certainly be wrong, and there's obviously a risk to taking Tua, but let's not pretend things aren't looking very positive so far.

You sound ridiculous, man.

I agree, but would add the word 'tentative.' Reports are above expectations to date, but it just takes one report of a setback to change the world. I suspect most teams would expect Tua to sit most if not all of '20, so a slightly delayed recovery shouldn't make much difference.

Blasphemy to some, but all this assumes Tua is the target. No guarantees.

@LauraRutledge
·
51m

Important timeline for Tua: Docs say hip is healed but there’s an important post combine scan in a month to make sure there’s no cartilage build up. Recent scan showed no build up but 4 mo. mark post surgery is when it could happen. Clean scan=final assurance of long term health.

Food for thought: although the Skins may covet Chase Young they apparently do not have a 2nd rounder in this draft due to a trade with Indy last year. If they are indeed a franchise whose owner calls the shots (and we all know they are) and that owner has already signed on to Haskins as the franchise QB for the foreseeable future, wouldn't a new regime want a significant haul of top picks to remake one of the worst rosters in football? Two 1sts and a 2nd could (and should) be enough of a bonanza to entice them to drop three spots.

I also just can't believe that either Washington or Detroit would select some other trade partner further down the pecking order who would be offering a package containing future picks when they can get a higher initial pick now and extra high picks, also right now. Don't believe the Lions - in win-now mode - care about picks next year. They'll want their extra picks in this draft.

We can do this, and we don't need to mortgage the farm. Forego the hysterics. Set your bottom line, then stick to it.

I like your thinking, but the analogy really should be closer to real estate than anything else.
My house is currently worth about $150,000 according to the city I live in. And if I were to sell the house I’d expect to get fair value for it (i.e. I'm not accepting much lower than $150k). However, my house is also in a city that a lot of people want to move to and has a lot of other appealing options. So I know that prospective buyers will be offering me $10-$20k above that price. Knowing this, an offer for exactly $150k will be kept on file, but in reality I doubt I’d be accepting that offer.
The Lions own the house. Plenty of teams want this house. We’re not getting it at face value.

Food for thought: although the Skins may covet Chase Young they apparently do not have a 2nd rounder in this draft due to a trade with Indy last year. If they are indeed a franchise whose owner calls the shots (and we all know they are) and that owner has already signed on to Haskins as the franchise QB for the foreseeable future, wouldn't a new regime want a significant haul of top picks to remake one of the worst rosters in football? Two 1sts and a 2nd could (and should) be enough of a bonanza to entice them to drop three spots.

I also just can't believe that either Washington or Detroit would select some other trade partner further down the pecking order who would be offering a package containing future picks when they can get a higher initial pick now and extra high picks, also right now. Don't believe the Lions - in win-now mode - care about picks next year. They'll want their extra picks in this draft.

We can do this, and we don't need to mortgage the farm. Forego the hysterics. Set your bottom line, then stick to it.

I have been saying this for the last month. They would be crazy not to (at least think about a) trade down. Especially when they will probably end up with a pretty good consolation prize at 5. Okudah, Derrick Brown, Wills, Lamb, Jeudy & Simmons all fill big needs.

They traded that 2019, 2nd round pick for an edge rusher (Sweat) and already have a pretty good one on the other side who averages about 11 sacks a year.

If I am the GM I would rather have Brown, Dobbins AND Niang than just Chase Young.

1 Burrow
2 Tua
3 Young
4 Okudah
5 ?

As a number have said, the logistics of any move are mind-boggling. Do WASH/DET want Tua or Burrow BAD. If they decide to move down, who's on their wish list and will that player be there at #5 or #12? Or, do they forego early R1, trade down to #15, and try for as many R2 as they can get? No one knows. And, not knowing, all Miami can do is offer their best price or risk losing the target and no one knows how much Miami values that risk.

WASH worries me because they seem to make some shocking decisions. DET? I swing back and forth depending on the barometric pressure. Today, I doubt they go QB. This will be Miami's most interesting draft in a long time.

I agree, but would add the word 'tentative.' Reports are above expectations to date, but it just takes one report of a setback to change the world. I suspect most teams would expect Tua to sit most if not all of '20, so a slightly delayed recovery shouldn't make much difference.

Blasphemy to some, but all this assumes Tua is the target. No guarantees.
There will, absolutely, be no reports of a setback. Even if there was one, you certainly wouldn't hear about if from his doctors. That would be grounds for a lawsuit.

I'm not purporting that they are hiding anything, but they aren't going to say anything detrimental.

Back
Top Bottom