Ellerbe done for the year... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ellerbe done for the year...

1p.m. update: Dolphins starting weakside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, one of the team's highest-paid players, was placed on injured reserve today with a hip injury and will miss the rest of the season, the team said this afternoon. Ellerbe is undoing surgery and will not have the IR designation that would allow him to return during the season.

The Dolphins signed fourth-year linebacker Kelvin Sheppard to fill the roster spot. Sheppard, a third round pick by Buffalo out of LSU in 2011, started 15 games for the Bills in 2012 but was traded to Indianapolis for Jerry Hughes.

He started seven games for the Colts last season, as well as two playoff games, but was cut in late August.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said Sheppard "a big, physical linebacker, good athlete with size and strength. He has been good against the run."

Pro Football Focus rated Sheppard 43rd of 55 inside linebackers last season --- 45th against the run and 32nd against the pass. Quarterbacks had an 88.9 rating in his coverage area.

Meanwhile, linebacker Koa Misi remains out with an ankle sprain. He was in a walking boot Sunday and the timetable for his return is undetermined.

The team's third starting linebacker, Philip Wheeler, hopes to return soon from a thumb injury.

Coyle bemoaned the loss of Ellerbe. "Dannell is a heck of a player," he said. "We were excited about the prospects of him moving back to" weakside linebacker from middle linebacker.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-and-hurricanes-quick-hits.html#storylink=cpy

Do the Rams have any good LBers? Could be a fire sale there sooner rather than later...

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

McCain will probably have to practice full time at that SOLB spot, which is a shame because I wanted to see him sub in for Vernon once in a while on passing downs.
I would prefer leaving McCain in that role unless Fede comes back this week. Vernon has no backup to spell him right now.

I wouldn't trade with the Rams...screw those clowns lol. The media laughed at us when Fisher picked them over us...I was happy about it. But then Fisher, who didn't want to be Miami's coach, sure loves our players. Signed Langford, signed Long (who is getting worse so we dodged another bullet there) and I think he tried to sign another player but lost out. I'm not helping that team out by giving them draft picks...now I will help out one of their division opponents like the 49ers or Seahawks who are loaded at linebacker.

oh well at least its just an ankle sprain with misi...should be back after the bye week worst case i'd say...and that's if it's a high ankle one...we need him so get right please

I don't expect Ellerbe or Wheeler to be here next year. Probably save us about 7 or 8 million by cutting both.

no brainer on both...cut weight...rebuild the lb core next year...get a true 3 down mike...biggest need above all else

Sad news. Only silver lining is that 1) more of Ireland's overrated signings will be purged from the team and 2) it allows Hickey to retain more young talent when Jordan and Jones return from suspension.

some other lbs unsigned as of now:

pat angerer
kevin burnett
stephen nicholas
jonathan vilma

McCain will be starting before the season's over.. it's just a matter of when.

91IWjSt56-1.jpeg

some other lbs unsigned as of now:

pat angerer
kevin burnett
stephen nicholas
jonathan vilma
A younger Vilma would have been perfect but sadly don't think he has anything left in the tank. Pat Angerer will just end up on IR anyway so I wouldn't go there.

So you want Dion Jordan to cut about 20 lbs (which he used steroids to gain), learn to play a position he never played in the preseason and learn all the assignments while not having any contact with the team during his suspension...probably doesn't even have a play book? That sounds like a good move.

Can you please site your sources about Dion using steroids? PED's include 60% of the stuff you can buy at GNC

He is referring to the fact that these amphetamines are used to mask steroids. That is why so many dudes are getting busted for them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom