Expect a Tua Tagovailoa-tailored offense when Dolphins return from bye | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expect a Tua Tagovailoa-tailored offense when Dolphins return from bye

RPO was implemented at the high school level to make defenses pay for bringing extra defenders down in the box to stop the run. It made it's way up into college and into the NFL - as does all innovation in football.

Receivers don't like to go in there and try to root out those extra defenders and try to block 'em - so in essence you 'block' 'em by running a route off of 'em. But you need a quarterback that can execute it.

That short fat kid that was in Tuscaloosa that's now in Miami is the best there's ever been at it up to this point.

Regardless of how it turns out, Tua has got to stay the starter now. Even if he plays bad, like a rookie, he has to work through it. If Flo benches him that will do more harm than anything. But, I expect us to see the left hand Marino. Tua is the most accurate QB that we have had in the past 20 years.

I don't see the absolutes that many of you see. If Tua stinks I don't see Flo is hesitating to put Fitz back in and I don't see Tua's confidence being ruined by such a move.

I also don't see the fact that we start Tua equaling the need to go to a strictly short based passing attack and exclusive RPO scheme.

IMHO Tua has shown to be a good enough quarterback to excel in any scheme. If anything, he has shown to be particularly adept at running the RPO scheme. That doesn't mean that is all he can do well.

I Just can't fathom anyone who posts that Fitz, due to experience and ability to read defenses, gives the team a better chance to win.

Sure, there might be some learning experiences and growing pains, but I totally expect Tua to be a much better QB from day one than anything we have seen in a very long time.

RPO was implemented at the high school level to make defenses pay for bringing extra defenders down in the box to stop the run. It made it's way up into college and into the NFL - as does all innovation in football.

In terms of college, I first recall seeing RPO utilized consistently when Urban Meyer had Alex Smith at Utah. In fact, Meyer has been on record saying it evolved (into a triple option) due to a missed assignment.

That 90’s offense has been very good
Considering the defenses we've played and then ranking 14th in ppg, we'll have to agree to disagree on saying the offense is very good.

Anyway, the subject of the thread is the offense will need to be tailored to fit Tua. This type of offense is still fairly new and still developing. I was just curious if anyone had good insight into why/why not Gailey can adapt.

I am an alum, and I remember more of a traditional pro set offense
More or less. It was physical pro set with plenty of one-back. Offense was always the problem for Gailey at Georgia Tech, contributing to inability to beat Georgia. There was a 9-6 bowl game. Patrick Nix was highly regarded at that point. Gailey used him for a long time as offensive coordinator including play caller the final year. That was the end. Then Canes fans got a look at Nix' miserable offensive schemes when Randy Shannon immediately hired him as offensive coordinator after Gailey got fired. He remains more or less a punch line on Canes forums

Receivers don't like to go in there and try to root out those extra defenders and try to block 'em - so in essence you 'block' 'em by running a route off of 'em. But you need a quarterback that can execute it.

That short fat kid that was in Tuscaloosa that's now in Miami is the best there's ever been at it up to this point.

Curious if you see an emerging role for Perry and/or Bowden with Tua @QB?

Also, what's your take on Grant actually being a significant contributor with Tua?
Does he have the hands to rely upon?

Last -- since you're the most experienced around these here parts with Tua in college
what's your take on him using the height advantage we have on the outside?

And of course Gesicki...

Back
Top Bottom