Fire Grier and Flores Now! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fire Grier and Flores Now!

This is mis-leading because you know TB and Gase had a huge say.

He is the damn GM. TB put him in charge of the draft. The buck stops with him. Gase might have had some influence on some of these picks, such as Gesicki, but ultimately he took the information, evaluated it, and made the pick. Stop making excuses for him. All Tannenbaum did on draft day was orchestrate terrible trades. He wasn't the talent evaluator. That was Grier.

He is the damn GM. TB put him in charge of the draft. The buck stops with him. Gase might have had some influence on some of these picks, such as Gesicki, but ultimately he took the information, evaluated it, and made the pick. Stop making excuses for him. All Tannenbaum did on draft day was orchestrate terrible trades. He wasn't the talent evaluator. That was Grier.
Saying he is the damn GM doesn't mean he always had final say. We will never know who picked what player or made the final call whether he is the damn gm or not until this year. Grier now has some good talent in the room to work with him.

Taking a look at Grier's drafts as GM:

2016:
Laremy Tunsil (R1) - TRADED for high draft picks
Xavien Howard (R2) - Pro Bowl
Kenyan Drake (R3) - Splitting time at RB
Leonte Caroo (R3) - GONE [Out of the League]
Jakeem Grant (R6) - Starter. Resigned to multi-year deal
Jordan Lucas (R6) - GONE [KC]
Brandon Doughty (R7) - GONE [Out of the League]
Thomas Duarte (R7) - GONE [Out of the League]

2017:
Charles Harris (R1) - Very mediocre starter
Raekwon McMillain (R2) - Very mediocre starter
Cordrea Tankersley (R3) - Only really played 1 season, currently on PUP list
Isaac Asiata (R5) - GONE [Out of the League]
Davon Godchaux (R5) - Mediocre starter
Vincent Taylor (R6) - GONE [Currently Unsigned]
Isaiah Ford (R7) - Practice Squad

2018:
Minkah Fitzpatrick (R1) - Asked to be traded
Mike Gesicki (R2) - Very mediocre starter
Jerome Baker (R3) - Promising starter
Durham Smyth (R4) - Role player
Kalen Ballage (R4) - Splitting time at RB
Cornell Armstrong (R6) - GONE [Unsigned]
Quentin Polling (R7) - GONE [Unsigned]
Jason Sanders (R8) - Starter

2019:
Christian Wilkins (R1) - In Starting Rotation
[Josh Rosen] (R2) - Backup. Doesn't seem to be in plan for future
Michael Deiter (R3) - Starter
Andrew Van Ginkel (R5) - Injured for the Season
Isaiah Prince (R6) - Backup. Has looked atrocious
Chandler Cox (R7) - Blocking FB
Myles Gaskin (R7) - Backup - 5th String
HONORABLE MENTION - Preston Williams (UFA) - Most promising rookie on the team

The buck for the draft in these stopped with Grier. It's a bit unfair to try to evaluate 2019 after one game, but early results don't look amazing. Only Wilkins, Deiter and P. Williams appear to have longterm futures with the team.

So in all those years, with 30 picks, we've netted only TWO players that could be considered elite or close to it (Tunsil and X), and one of them was already shipped off for more lottery tickets.

And we look at players that even start, we currently have only 13 out of 30, and that's including two RBs who split time with each other and a Kicker. And a lot of these guys who are starting are only starting because the team is so completely devoid of talent. Charles Harris and Raekwon McMillan would probably not be starting on any other team.

This is horrendous. No difference makers other than X. If this is all he can manage with 30 draft picks, we are insane to believe he will turn this massive draft haul into anything of significance. He may luck (or rather, suck) into a franchise QB, but if we are expecting him to build a winning team around that QB, its nothing more than wishful thinking based on his draft history.

Now do the Patriots during that same time frame, and see where all those picks are.

You think I'm kidding. I'm not.

You feel as though our last say....4 drafts, haven't brought talented players? I think everyone might be so frustrated with what happened last week that it's creating a frenzy of hate. Until a week and half ago the narrative was completely different on this site.

That was the most dumbest and useless post I’ve ever read. Just an excuse to start your own thread

No some of us did not agree with the tank and seeing now that there are total morons disgracing pretty much everyone we are pi$$ed

I’m OK if you think this is Ross’s idea, but from what I understand about Ross’s football IQ from fans and reporters is that he’s like a monkey with tambourines. Not only that I thought I read somewhere, where this was Greers pitch and that’s what saved his job.

I don't believe this is correct. I think his errors thus far have involved being TOO loyal to his subordinates.

Saying he is the damn GM doesn't mean he always had final say. We will never know who picked what player or made the final call whether he is the damn gm or not until this year. Grier now has some good talent in the room to work with him.

What? The setup was obvious. Tannenbaum even said as much. Grier was in charge of the draft. That was his baby. He had final say over it. He took the input from the coaches, but he ultimately made the picks.

And the 2019 draft where it was ALL him doesn't look all that hot. I really can't see anyone other than Wilkins or Deiter being with this team in another 2-3 years. (P. Williams doesn't count in that evaluation because he wasn't a draft pick, but might end up as his best selection)

His best draft was 2016. So I guess in your opinion he shouldn't get credit for Tunsil or X because it could have been Tannenbaum who really made the pick?

You feel as though our last say....4 drafts, haven't brought talented players? I think everyone might be so frustrated with what happened last week that it's creating a frenzy of hate. Until a week and half ago the narrative was completely different on this site.

The results speak for themselves. Look at that list. How many of them could start for NE? Or Pittsburgh? Or any other top flight team?

Now do the Patriots during that same time frame, and see where all those picks are.

I could, but it would be an invalid comparison because their team is stacked with good starters while ours is completely bereft of talent. So obviously it would be much more difficult for their draft picks to stick around on a good, loaded team, than on a completely dreadful one.

I think the key there is to see how many of their draft picks are currently out of the league. Half of the 2016 Dolphins draft is currently out of the league.

What? The setup was obvious. Tannenbaum even said as much. Grier was in charge of the draft. That was his baby. He had final say over it. He took the input from the coaches, but he ultimately made the picks.

And the 2019 draft where it was ALL him doesn't look all that hot. I really can't see anyone other than Wilkins or Deiter being with this team in another 2-3 years. (P. Williams doesn't count in that evaluation because he wasn't a draft pick, but might end up as his best selection)

His best draft was 2016. So I guess in your opinion he shouldn't get credit for Tunsil or X because it could have been Tannenbaum who really made the pick?
Yes

I agree 100%

The point is, Grier has been here for years. If he’s so good, why do we need to tank this year? The answer is.... He sucks. And so far Flores is woefully under prepared to be a HC.
After the Tunsil trade the franchise went FULL TANK mode. IMO they are doing a great job of putting this franchise in a great position for the future. The trick is always drafting and signing the right FA's. Do I blame you or anyone else that thinks Grier was part of the problem with the franchise for years? No I don't. But do I think to ask for Grier and the entire coaching staff to be fired after one regular season game is irrational? Yes, IMO it is beyond irrational. It approaches crazy town IMO.

When it comes to Flores. None of us know if he is good or bad. But for them to fire the HC after one game would be so Dolphins. It is so not the Dolphins to have a plan and for them to actually stick to that plan. They are finally doing the right thing. The thing many of us have been hoping and calling for, for years. I say embrace the TANK as a fan. Take some pleasure in knowing you are watching a team almost devoid of talent that in time will be populated with high round draft picks supplemented by good FA's. In time, hopefully by the end of the year that will show some positive signs of improvement.

Yeah...then someone show me how they build their team by drafting, cultivating and keeping their young talent. They bring them in, give them a chance to show they can adapt and contribute and if they don't...they're sent packing in quick order. There's no courtship in that place. Put up or shut up. Our way, or the highway. It's about time we tried that.

Back
Top Bottom