First Round Combo | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Combo

Everyone is kind of on the same group of guys for 1A or 1B, so I’ll offer a bit of a different possibility.

1A: Take Sewell at 3

1B: Trade up back into the top 10-12 and take DeVonta Smith (using pick #50 + a future 4th)

You can go a couple different directions with #36. Trade back and gain capital, take BPA, etc.

For me, give my Rondale Moore at 36, pair him with DeVonta and Sewell and make a play for Javonte Williams late 2 or early 3

If no trade down, I think you are spot on with possibilities at 1a.

Another player I might add at #18 is Patrick Jones. I think he goes much sooner than mocks have shown.

That said, I see Miami in a unique position. That #3 pick is valuable with three quarterbacks expected to be drafted high.

Grier owes it to the organization to maximize the pick. It is possible to flip that for something similar to the Tunsil trade.
Love me some Patrick Jones. By draft day, he might end up EDGE #1

Van Ginkel was a super surprise of last years draft. We need to find the diamond's in the rough with his work ethic.............

Smith and Waddle me please

never thought of this but i might be okay with it. Think this is a realistic option if we trade back and acquire more picks. If we can trade down to 5 or so and pick up another 2nd then I’d be all for this.

I like Creed
But imagine Sewell LT Kindley LG Humphrey C Hunt RG Ramzcyk RT

Focus on a trade with the Saints the worst team in cap hell and it's very, very possible.....cause I think the Saint are going to have to move him... (25 and one of best RT in the league) Now this would make up for a 20 year 2 decade neglect IMO
That would be pretty sick too,but I hate spending big cash on OL cuz those guys are getting in car crashes each play and a lot of them go down.

I would not trade anything higher than 4th for for him. Atleast that way if he walks in FA you get a equal comp pick back. Hate the idea of a big pick and money. Gotta be either or for me.

Last edited:
Look how good the Cowboys WRs are in Lamb/Cooper/Gallup, but they can’t do **** cuz the oline is screwed up. Build the trenches.

Jackson/Kindley/Humphrey/Hunt/Sewell

Yes please.
They averaged 24.7 ppg with a 2nd and 3rd string QB and their starting QB was throwing for over 400 yards a game.

Last edited:
Everyone is kind of on the same group of guys for 1A or 1B, so I’ll offer a bit of a different possibility.

1A: Take Sewell at 3

1B: Trade up back into the top 10-12 and take DeVonta Smith (using pick #50 + a future 4th)

You can go a couple different directions with #36. Trade back and gain capital, take BPA, etc.

For me, give my Rondale Moore at 36, pair him with DeVonta and Sewell and make a play for Javonte Williams late 2 or early 3
Love the idea of trading back up to get our guy but Moore + Smith ? They're both under 180 lbs

Parsons scares me. I think he has a higher bust factor than Sewell or Chase.
Higher than Sewell for sure. Chase has a very short, albeit impressive, resume, so that an inherent risk.

I don't worry much about any of them being a "bust". As I've said before, there's a lot of room between bust and elite. I try not to make it a "one or the other" premise, because thats not reality.

A vast majority of 1st and 2nd rounders are neither busts, nor high impact players. The possibilities are not that binary.

Which first round combo of players would you want? Let's assume we don't trade out although I can see a team like the Panthers trading up to get Wilson/Fields. Let's also assume we don't draft a QB.

I think the consensus is it's going to be a group of very specific players:

1A: Sewell, Parsons, Smith, Chase
1B: Harris, Etienne, Waddle, Rousseau, Collins, other OT

I'm having a hard time drafting a WR with the 3rd overall pick.

There have only been 5 WRs taken top 3 in the last 21 years:
Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson.

One thing they all have in common. SIZE.
As talented as Smith is, I don't think you can take a 175 lb player at 3, especially with our other 2 top receivers always hurt.
Chase had an amazing year last year, but was it a flash-in-the-pan type year? One year on the best college team with the best college QB. Also, risky.

19 of the 77 wide receivers taken in the first round this century have or had fewer than 100 career receptions in the NFL.

I don't see how we can draft defense on this team when we very clearly need as much offensive infusion as possible. So that eliminates Parsons.

For me, it's Sewell/Harris. Move Hunt inside, start Kindley over Flowers, and draft a run-mauling C. Let's become the Titans 2.0 with perhaps a subpar running back but a MUCH better defense.

Spend $$ in FA on a WR, whether that's Godwin/Robinson. And draft WRs on day 2 and 3.

Of course, if we trade back then all bets are off.

Thoughts?
Very complicated. We need more data.
1. What is the FO opinion? Do they love a guy?
2. What FAs are available and does the FO like any of them?
3. What is the thought on Hunt? RT or RG?

The dream sinario, trade down to 6, get at least a second and a third.
Then use the 6 to trade down to 9 or 10, get another second.

Use the 9 or 10 to take Smith or Chase. One of them will be available at that position.

Sewell = waste pick

Back
Top Bottom