First Round Combo | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Combo

Yeah, the 'boys defense is just staggeringly awful... AND they are in cap Hell. I see them going defense or trading down... Jerry likes to do that.

Love the idea of trading back up to get our guy but Moore + Smith ? They're both under 180 lbs
Completely fair point, but these two both fit the mold of what Miami needs at the WR position to a tee.

Ability to win early in routes, separation, downfield threat, and YAC.

Pair those two with DVP and Gesicki (pseudo WR anyway) and you have a nice combination of jump ball size and speed.

The dream sinario, trade down to 6, get at least a second and a third.
Then use the 6 to trade down to 9 or 10, get another second.

Use the 9 or 10 to take Smith or Chase. One of them will be available at that position.

Sewell = waste pick
Sewell is probably the safest pick in the draft. Did you see our OL get manhandled by Bills backups?

Also it's going to all depend on who Dolphins aim for in FA, but if the Dolphins don't get any WRs in March, I can't imagine them grabbing a LB with their first pick.
I’m hoping for a Marvin Jones Jr type and a Dede Westbrook type in free agency. 2 for 1. Hedge our bets. I know that philosophy failed us at the RB position this season, but I agree with that philosophy.

If we get stuck at 3 you almost have to take Penei Sewell in that situation bc the value is to good to pass up. You can’t draft a WR at 3 it’s too risky.

Our conundrum is at 18 and this is assuming no trades which for us almost seem like a certainty. I’m very against taking a tailback that high so no on Etienne and Harris there. If it is Sewell at 3 I like Rashod Bateman at 18 unless Waddle drops to that spot and I don’t think he will. Watch out for Miami(FL) EDGE Jaelen Phillips. He’s listed early 2nd right now but he’s going to blow up the combine and raise his stock considerably I believe. I would heavily consider him there if he does what I think he will at the combine. I like him much more than Greg Rousseau who I think has Dion Jordan wrote all over him but of course I could be wrong.

Most of Fin nation wants offense offense and more offense. This defense is not complete and still needs a couple more pieces and it can/will go to the next level.

If we get stuck at 3 you almost have to take Penei Sewell in that situation bc the value is to good to pass up. You can’t draft a WR at 3 it’s too risky.

Our conundrum is at 18 and this is assuming no trades which for us almost seem like a certainty. I’m very against taking a tailback that high so no on Etienne and Harris there. If it is Sewell at 3 I like Rashod Bateman at 18 unless Waddle drops to that spot and I don’t think he will. Watch out for Miami(FL) EDGE Jaelen Phillips. He’s listed early 2nd right now but he’s going to blow up the combine and raise his stock considerably I believe. I would heavily consider him there if he does what I think he will at the combine. I like him much more than Greg Rousseau who I think has Dion Jordan wrote all over him but of course I could be wrong.

Most of Fin nation wants offense offense and more offense. This defense is not complete and still needs a couple more pieces and it can/will go to the next level.
I could be wrong, but I don’t see Miami being very aggressive on Bateman unless they move on from DVP. Bateman and even Chase to an extent is very redundant to DVP and Preston (and even Gesicki). Our offense has been very reliant on physical WR’s winning 50/50 balls with the current group of pass catchers.

I expect Miami to add at least 2 guys who can compliment that group - Devonta, Waddle, Olave, Moore, etc.

Sewell is probably the safest pick in the draft. Did you see our OL get manhandled by Bills backups?
How Sewell will help Karras and the entire right side getting abuse?

It was just a bad performance in every areas. Burn the tape. We are not as bad as the score indicated.

I'm very high on both Bateman and Terrance Marshall... I really think that Marshall might be the best Flanker prospect in this draft.

Which first round combo of players would you want? Let's assume we don't trade out although I can see a team like the Panthers trading up to get Wilson/Fields. Let's also assume we don't draft a QB.

I think the consensus is it's going to be a group of very specific players:

1A: Sewell, Parsons, Smith, Chase
1B: Harris, Etienne, Waddle, Rousseau, Collins, other OT

I'm having a hard time drafting a WR with the 3rd overall pick.

There have only been 5 WRs taken top 3 in the last 21 years:
Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson.

One thing they all have in common. SIZE.
As talented as Smith is, I don't think you can take a 175 lb player at 3, especially with our other 2 top receivers always hurt.
Chase had an amazing year last year, but was it a flash-in-the-pan type year? One year on the best college team with the best college QB. Also, risky.

19 of the 77 wide receivers taken in the first round this century have or had fewer than 100 career receptions in the NFL.

I don't see how we can draft defense on this team when we very clearly need as much offensive infusion as possible. So that eliminates Parsons.

For me, it's Sewell/Harris. Move Hunt inside, start Kindley over Flowers, and draft a run-mauling C. Let's become the Titans 2.0 with perhaps a subpar running back but a MUCH better defense.

Spend $$ in FA on a WR, whether that's Godwin/Robinson. And draft WRs on day 2 and 3.

Of course, if we trade back then all bets are off.

Thoughts?
True size matters dolphins example: Ted ginn and his family were 5’11 180lbs

Higher than Sewell for sure. Chase has a very short, albeit impressive, resume, so that an inherent risk.

I don't worry much about any of them being a "bust". As I've said before, there's a lot of room between bust and elite. I try not to make it a "one or the other" premise, because thats not reality.

A vast majority of 1st and 2nd rounders are neither busts, nor high impact players. The possibilities are not that binary.

I just mean that I haven’t heard many people talk about Parsons instincts or football IQ. It’s always about his athleticism allowing him to make plays after he jumps a gap too soon or guesses wrong. Who knows? The guy could be coached up to be the best LB in the league. Or he could be eaten up by bigger, faster, stronger competition. I’m glad it’s not my decision to make. Lol

I could be wrong, but I don’t see Miami being very aggressive on Bateman unless they move on from DVP. Bateman and even Chase to an extent is very redundant to DVP and Preston (and even Gesicki). Our offense has been very reliant on physical WR’s winning 50/50 balls with the current group of pass catchers.

I expect Miami to add at least 2 guys who can compliment that group - Devonta, Waddle, Olave, Moore, etc.
I disagree completely. To me Chase Bateman and Terrance Marshall fit Tuas skill set much much better than Smith Waddle or RonDale Moore. The latter 3 are speed demons. They’re streak route and deep bombs away WRs. Tuas arm strength doesn’t allow for those type of WRs. Not saying they couldn’t do some damage as they surely would but for the long haul I think it’ll disappoint more than energize.

Everybody keeps saying we need WR that separate and of course every QB wants that but big thick bodied WRs can get the job done separating just using a different aspect like strength and body control and top flight route running. Chase fits Tuas skill set best bc he’s a tough thick bodied guy that just bully’s CBs and runs by Safety’s. Tuas arm strength is what it is. So even if you get the speed demons or twitchy quick guys at WR I just don’t think it’s going to help as much as people think. I think it will cause his interceptions to go way up. Tua has 51 throws of 15+ air yards this year and was dead last in the league at 37.3%. Conversely Ryan Fitzpatrick has 48 throws of 15+ air yards and led the NFL at 62.5%. Keep in mind both QBs were using the same weapons so it’s not like one had the benefit over the other. Those numbers are just one year stats yes but the analytics clearly lean toward thick bodied strong WRs instead of speed demons. That equals JaMarr Chase Rashod Bateman and Terrance Marshall.

Back
Top Bottom