First Round Combo | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Combo

I'm sure this will be discussed throughout this off-season and player stocks will go up and down..

But my ideal scenario RIGHT NOW would be

Sewell at 3. Then depending on how draft plays out, trade up using 18 and 2B to 9-10-11 range and draft whoever is left from Chase/Smith/Waddle. Use 2A on either Harris or Etienne if they are still available

Last edited:
I'm very high on both Bateman and Terrance Marshall... I really think that Marshall might be the best Flanker prospect in this draft.
I’m extremely high on Terrance Marshall. 6’3/6’4 guys with his speed aren’t in huge supply. He very well could end up Th e best WR out of this draft and he’s a perfect match for Tuas skill set.

I disagree completely. To me Chase Bateman and Terrance Marshall fit Tuas skill set much much better than Smith Waddle or RonDale Moore. The latter 3 are speed demons. They’re streak route and deep bombs away WRs. Tuas arm strength doesn’t allow for those type of WRs. Not saying they couldn’t do some damage as they surely would but for the long haul I think it’ll disappoint more than energize.

Everybody keeps saying we need WR that separate and of course every QB wants that but big thick bodied WRs can get the job done separating just using a different aspect like strength and body control and top flight route running. Chase fits Tuas skill set best bc he’s a tough thick bodied guy that just bully’s CBs and runs by Safety’s. Tuas arm strength is what it is. So even if you get the speed demons or twitchy quick guys at WR I just don’t think it’s going to help as much as people think. I think it will cause his interceptions to go way up. Tua has 51 throws of 15+ air yards this year and was dead last in the league at 37.3%. Conversely Ryan Fitzpatrick has 48 throws of 15+ air yards and led the NFL at 62.5%. Keep in mind both QBs were using the same weapons so it’s not like one had the benefit over the other. Those numbers are just one year stats yes but the analytics clearly lean toward thick bodied strong WRs instead of speed demons. That equals JaMarr Chase Rashod Bateman and Terrance Marshall.

I see where you are coming from but Tua HAS thrown to Waddle and his downfield arm strength/accuracy was never an issue.

I personally see Waddle in that same tier with Chase and Smith and view Bateman and Marshal as late 1-2nd round prospects.

Again, a lot can change between now and the draft obviously

6-10

16th in yards per game at 371 and 2 spots behind Miami in points per game.
I'd wager they're 6-10 because their defense is hot garbage and they spent entire games playing QBs named Ben Dinucci and Garrett Gilbert and not because they threw for over 4,400 yards.

In your specific availability I want Smith and Harris.

In a different scenario I’d lean Harris with one of the 2nd rounders assuming he’s around.

I see where you are coming from but Tua HAS thrown to Waddle and his downfield arm strength/accuracy was never an issue.

I personally see Waddle in that same tier with Chase and Smith and view Bateman and Marshal as late 1-2nd round prospects.

Again, a lot can change between now and the draft obviously
Yes he has and he threw to Smith and Waddle very successfully at Bama. But the NFL is not college football. At Alabama when Tua was throwing to those guys.. He had 4 1st round WRs on those teams. Jerry Jeudy Henry Ruggs DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. No college team in America can defend those 4 guys on the same field. Remember if we choose to take one of those guys they will the primary WR by themselves at Miami. Teams will roll coverage and bracket and press to take that 1 guy away. At Alabama no team not even Clemson or Ohio St can take that away when theirs 4 of them and I’m a huge Clemson fan. We beat them in the title game bc of our DL. It wasn’t bc we shut those guys down.

Also at Alabama those guys weren’t facing NFL CBs even the majority of the time. They played what 2-3 games a year against NFL caliber CBs. They’re not going to be that open in the NFL with the same regularity not even close.

Yes he has and he threw to Smith and Waddle very successfully at Bama. But the NFL is not college football. At Alabama when Tua was throwing to those guys.. He had 4 1st round WRs on those teams. Jerry Jeudy Henry Ruggs DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. No college team in America can defend those 4 guys on the same field. Remember if we choose to take one of those guys they will the primary WR by themselves at Miami. Teams will roll coverage and bracket and press to take that 1 guy away. At Alabama no team not even Clemson or Ohio St can take that away when theirs 4 of them and I’m a huge Clemson fan. We beat them in the title game bc of our DL. It wasn’t bc we shut those guys down.

Also at Alabama those guys weren’t facing NFL CBs even the majority of the time. They played what 2-3 games a year against NFL caliber CBs. They’re not going to be that open in the NFL with the same regularity not even close.

Yeah i get that part. But look at success Jefferson is having in his rookie year. So it's not out of question to see Smith, Chase or Waddle to have similar type of success.

Also, ideally whoever we draft at WR shouldn't be our only option. We should still have Parker, maybe healthy Williams. Maybe Wilson if we don't cut him and also possible FA wr signing.

So I don't view Smith/Chase/Waddle as our only weapon as long as we don't go through the same insane bad luck of injuries that our WRs got hit with this season

Yeah i get that part. But look at success Jefferson is having in his rookie year. So it's not out of question to see Smith, Chase or Waddle to have similar type of success.

Also, ideally whoever we draft at WR shouldn't be our only option. We should still have Parker, maybe healthy Williams. Maybe Wilson if we don't cut him and also possible FA wr signing.

So I don't view Smith/Chase/Waddle as our only weapon as long as we don't go through the same insane bad luck of injuries that our WRs got hit with this season
I’m probably higher on DVP than most but he just can’t stay on the field. PW has his moments but they’re much far and fewer between than we need them to be. I already assume DVP and PW combined probably miss 5-7 games next year if not more. So the injury issues do leave whichever WR we pick basically by himself with MG for close to or even half the season.

This is why we absolutely have to sign a WR in FA and draft at least 2. So when injuries inevitably hit DVP and PW we aren’t stuck with practice squad weapons while trying to go into Buffalo NE or somebody else and win a meaningful game.

Which first round combo of players would you want? Let's assume we don't trade out although I can see a team like the Panthers trading up to get Wilson/Fields. Let's also assume we don't draft a QB.

I think the consensus is it's going to be a group of very specific players:

1A: Sewell, Parsons, Smith, Chase
1B: Harris, Etienne, Waddle, Rousseau, Collins, other OT

I'm having a hard time drafting a WR with the 3rd overall pick.

There have only been 5 WRs taken top 3 in the last 21 years:
Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson.

One thing they all have in common. SIZE.
As talented as Smith is, I don't think you can take a 175 lb player at 3, especially with our other 2 top receivers always hurt.
Chase had an amazing year last year, but was it a flash-in-the-pan type year? One year on the best college team with the best college QB. Also, risky.

19 of the 77 wide receivers taken in the first round this century have or had fewer than 100 career receptions in the NFL.

I don't see how we can draft defense on this team when we very clearly need as much offensive infusion as possible. So that eliminates Parsons.

For me, it's Sewell/Harris. Move Hunt inside, start Kindley over Flowers, and draft a run-mauling C. Let's become the Titans 2.0 with perhaps a subpar running back but a MUCH better defense.

Spend $$ in FA on a WR, whether that's Godwin/Robinson. And draft WRs on day 2 and 3.

Of course, if we trade back then all bets are off.

Thoughts?
Why would have a problem taking a WR at 3??? Great WRs are proven they are a must in this league. And D Smith is the guy who will pay off

The #3 pick won’t be a WR. The talent in this class isn’t that different than it was last season. Teams have really avoided drafting WR in the top 10 in recent years. The number of busts drafted top 10 is double the number of Pro Bowl caliber guys drafted in the past 10 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded back with Cinny and every WR was still available. You see these mocks with Chase, Smith and Waddle all going top 10 and it’s kind of mind boggling.

Devonta and a lineman, either Sewell and we trade back up for Smith or take Devonta at three and then draft the best center or tackle. If we are committed to Tua, he needs the best line possible. I think Najee will be available in 2nd round, and if not, I'm fine with Jevonta Williams from UNC. Dude is a beast.

Why would have a problem taking a WR at 3??? Great WRs are proven they are a must in this league. And D Smith is the guy who will pay off
Some of the best WR in the NFL are day 2 and 3 guys. It is one of the few positions where you can find amazing value outside of the 1st. If you take a WR #3 he better be a 100 catch, 1500 yards and 10 TD guy every season for a decade plus. That is the impact a guy taken at #3 should have.

Back
Top Bottom