Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

Ramsey doesn’t have a lot of interceptions because opposing teams rarely throw in his area. While Howard is certainly a ball hawk in the secondary, opposing teams still continue to challenge him and they throw a lot more balls into his area than teams throw in the area Ramsey covers during a game.
Why do you think teams throw at him so much? That’s a testament to how good Jones is.

Not completely true. X man was thrown at more last season. 101 to 71. In 2018 those targets were flipped. 113 Ramsey, 63 Howard. Howard still managed 7 ints to Ramsey’s 3. Howard also boasted a lower QB rating both seasons. He also averages .4 ints per game. He is basically irreplaceable. Turnovers win football games. And ints demoralize QBs.
The problem with your 2018 comparisons is the fact Ramsey played in all 16 games that season while Howard played in only 12 games. So it makes sense that more throws would have been thrown in Ramey’s area than in Howard’s area that season.

I am not even attempting to compare them in regards to interceptions. Because Howard is clearly the best CB in the league when it comes to interceptions. Even though 17 of his 22 interceptions happened in 2018 and 2020. While he only had 5 interceptions in his remaining three years in the league.

Obviously Howard is underpaid based on his salary compared to the CB’s who are the highest pay in the league. That is why I understand him wanting to renegotiate his contract. I just don’t know if the Dolphins will be willing to restructure his contract.

I agree with others that say he won't have the same season he did last year. Sure he's a good player but I don't expect a repeat performance. If Dolphins feel that he still significantly impacts the game with less production than they'll retain him otherwise they'll probably shop him. He probably is at his highest value at this point.

Why do you think teams throw at him so much? That’s a testament to how good Jones is.
I think Jones is a very good CB but I certainly don’t think he is worth more than Howard. Unfortunately for Howard he signed that contract before Jones, Ramsey and the other CB’s higher paid than Howard signed their contracts.
As the sayings goes, “that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Start listening to offers...
Incorrect sir.

You don't trade the the best player at a premium position in this sport if you plan on making SB runs.

He can pull a Revis this time. Pay the man and let's go operation lock down on the league this year.

The entire contract... and all of the provisions are agreed to by both sides.
Players hold out all of the time.

What's your point?

You ain't out there risking your neck so your opinion is irrelevant.

I encourage every single one of these guys to monetize anyway possible. Thier careers are short.

If X stays healthy is the key. But him holding out should be no surprise.

how is that different that cutting players on contracts the team signed ???
This has been asked, and answered...

Because teams are allowed to do this by the contract that they've signed with the NFL Player's Union.

Players hold out all of the time.

What's your point?

You ain't out there risking your neck so your opinion is irrelevant.

I encourage every single one of these guys to monetize anyway possible. Thier careers are short.

If X stays healthy is the key. But him holding out should be no surprise.
Ah... the narcissist POV. Seen it.

And the owners know that contracts are not guaranteed, use it to thier advantage. They know this when the player signs. So why is it different for players. If X sucked, you would all be calling to cut him and save cap space....hmmm....
Was he worth the contract in 2019? Not at all! So he has been paid as one of the best for 2 years but only put in one year. Then he waits for the cap to be so low that we can't do much to help him. Its a 53 man roster not an X one man show. Your obviously going through some sort of man crush panic here. Lets not forget just because the Atlanta police dropped the case. Its pretty obvious he had a hand in getting his former agents home shot up. Not the type of garbage you need on a team or any team. If he is smart enough to sign his name he should be smart enough to read the contract.

so are the players if they decide to pay the fine
...lose their pay and possibly have to repay their signing bonus. You left that out.

...and it gets worse, as of the most recent contract, NFL teams can assess even larger fines and have more ability to reclaim bonus money. The players gave that up in the last negotiation in exchange for a larger % of the gross.

Here is the new rule: A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.

Here's a year old article explaining this: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ning-camp-holdouts-2020-why-to-do-coronavirus

The new CBA raised the maximum fine for skipping training camp from $40,000 per day to $50,000 per day, but fines for players who are still on their rookie contracts are capped at $40,000 per day as long as they're not in their fifth-year option season. Any player drafted in 2017 is entering the fourth year of his rookie deal, so his fines stay at $40,000 per day if he skipped days. Not that it matters much, since the threat of losing an accrued season probably acts as a more significant deterrent.

50K PER DAY for missing training camp.

The NFL was sick to death of players who were under contract refusing to play, and since most NFL players hate these guys as much as the owners do... the players agreed to these changes.

If X holds out... he'll be crushed. The Dolphins hold all the cards. X can ask for a trade, but they don't have to honor that.

...and before anyone cries that these rules are 'unfair'. The players themselves AGREED to them to stop this crap.

Back
Top Bottom