For those who would cheer injuries.... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who would cheer injuries....

Originally posted by Agua
Well, maybe I'm just a more experienced fan and the years have added the perspective for me that I don't feel the need to look to outside sources to realize the shortcomings of our own players. Your hanging around on other teams' boards is your own business. I personally don't need it for perspective.

And, yeah, I've gotten to the point I'd rather talk Phin football with Phin fans. I don't participate in "smack forums". I don't see why you'd refer to that as a "circle jerk", however, unless you find little worth in the discussions offered by the fans of your own favorite team.

I find plenty worth discussing here, which is probably why I've got more than 1800 posts on this site. And I rarely participate in smack or trash talk when I'm on the other boards. As for being experienced, I've been rooting for the Phins since I was old enough to understand the game which means that I've got about 3 decades of watching the Phins. For all that time however, I still find myself caught up in the excitement of the Preseason, and still find it useful to measure that excitement against fans of other teams.

Yeah, 32 years' of watching the Phins myself. So, I take it you find your use of the term "circle jerk" in reference to participation in Dolphins' forums to have been inappropriate?

PhinFan, They seemed to miss the essence of your post, basically he's saying that he wants to beat the best a team has to offer. If they're injured, they will do what some of the ppl here did, last year, offer excuses., i.e., Jay was hurt, that's why the bills, and everybody beat us. Bullcrap. But getting back, Phinfan doesn't want other teams to use excuses and neither sure we. I agree phinfan, I want to beat their best, just like our D wanted to play against Vick. That's the spirit I like in our team, it's unforunate that some of the fans don't share the team's veiw.

How many Jets fans gave a crap that their win was against Ray Lucas? Was there a footnote in the W/L record that stated "was against second string QB"? Injuries are part of the game. We dealt with it last year, they deal with it this year. "Best vs. best" sounds nice, but games fall out the way they fall out.

Yes, I understand fully the perspective you are coming from. It just doesn't make a flip to me, nor should it.

First of all, I think even starting a debate like this invites (in my opinion unnecessary) conflict, so maybe it was best not to start it in the first place. Before this, I hadn't seen any Dolfans here jump up in glee over the injury.
As for myself, I want to see the Fins finally win a Superbowl. I was born in '75 and haven't had the pleasure of seeing it happen. So, I feel a little better Pennington (whom I admire as a player) won't be playing us (at least in the first game.) It would be different if the injury was permanent. In that case, I would rather prefer a game against a full-strength squad, but here, Pennington will return and will have the chance in the future to prove his continued worth. So, for me, this is good news.
(Remember, I'm not trying to say my opinion is the correct one, but for someone else to say this opinion doesn't make me a fan or so is simply wrong, since I can testify that I am a fan. Like I said, I think it was best not to have started this debate in the first place.)

Agua, every time someone used the "But Jay was hurt" line, there was an asterisk put on that game, or footnote as you called it. In the end it's the W's and L's that put a team in the playoff or not, but as Phinfan so rightly pointed out, is it a soft team in the playoff, who will get basted out in the 1st round or is it a proven winner, who beat the best each team had to offer. The latter seems to have a better shot in the SB to me.

MD,

Go look at the first post in this thread. After people posted legitimately valid reasons why they didn't feel awful about Pennington's injury (and I don't), the subject was twisted to "You're a bad fan or a scumbag". I'm happy for any advantage my team gets. Do I "wish" for an injury or "cheer" for an injury? No. As I stated in my first post in this thread, I never hoped for an injury to J. Kelly or T. Thomas during the height of Buff's hegemony in the early 90's. That doesn't mean I feel bad when the phins get a win against a second string QB.

In direct answer to your question, logic would indicate that it is the tested team that will go further. That, however, does not take account of the undeniable advantage which inures to the team that gains homefield advantage. In Miami's case, that advantage would be huge. I'd choose two wins towards that advantage over testing my team against a tougher team any day. Besides, there will be enough tough tests by virtue of playing in the AFCE anyway that a Penningtonless Jets isn't going to make me devalue a win in the slightest.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
PhinFan, They seemed to miss the essence of your post, basically he's saying that he wants to beat the best a team has to offer. If they're injured, they will do what some of the ppl here did, last year, offer excuses., i.e., Jay was hurt, that's why the bills, and everybody beat us. Bullcrap. But getting back, Phinfan doesn't want other teams to use excuses and neither sure we. I agree phinfan, I want to beat their best, just like our D wanted to play against Vick. That's the spirit I like in our team, it's unforunate that some of the fans don't share the team's veiw.

Do I feel bad Pennigton is injured? Yes. Am I sadden that the Jets have a lesser chance of beating us? NO!

Originally posted by booyeah_

Do I feel bad Pennigton is injured? Yes. Am I sadden that the Jets have a lesser chance of beating us? NO!
first thing i thought was, "oh **** another injury". my second thought was, "poor testicleverde!" ;)

Yeah, 32 years' of watching the Phins myself. So, I take it you find your use of the term "circle jerk" in reference to participation in Dolphins' forums to have been inappropriate?

Participation in a Phins forum isn't a circle jerk. ONLY talking to Dolphins fans about football IS a circle jerk. That's mental masturbation, because it's completely one sided. I enjoy talking Dolphins football with Dolphins fans....but I also enjoy friendly competition with other teams fans. I like having my ideas challenged. I also like challenging other peoples ideas. It's all part of the competition. To me JUST posting here would be like JUST watching 11 on 11 drills at training camp. It's fun for what it is, but there's just no conflict, and without conflict, it's just not a sport.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Agua, every time someone used the "But Jay was hurt" line, there was an asterisk put on that game, or footnote as you called it. In the end it's the W's and L's that put a team in the playoff or not, but as Phinfan so rightly pointed out, is it a soft team in the playoff, who will get basted out in the 1st round or is it a proven winner, who beat the best each team had to offer. The latter seems to have a better shot in the SB to me.

Heck, even George on 940Fox Sports was talking about how he was disapointed that if the Phins beat the Jets, all he's going to hear is "you wouldn't have beat Penny", all year. The difference is that some people think that the W is all that matters, but HOW you got that W DOES matter to some of us. Further, would you rather this team was the Raiders of 2002 or the Titans of 2002? The Raiders beat the best of the best to get to the Superbowl. The Titans got deep in the playoffs on a soft schedule. Personally I'm tired of pretending our way into the Playoffs. If we don't deserve to be there because we're the best, I'd rather we stayed home.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Participation in a Phins forum isn't a circle jerk. ONLY talking to Dolphins fans about football IS a circle jerk. That's mental masturbation, because it's completely one sided.

Actually, it is selective reading of forums, just the same as you. It is not a circle jerk. That may sound glib to say it, but it is not masturbation.

I enjoy talking Dolphins football with Dolphins fans....
but I also enjoy friendly competition with other teams fans. I like having my ideas challenged. I also like challenging other peoples ideas. It's all part of the competition.

Good for you. Seriously. However, there is no need to demean others who do not frequent the message boards of others and refer to their preference to refrain from doing so as a "circle jerk". Really, you're setting yourself up on a pedestal again by deamining others. Because you like to hang ouit on a Jets message board does not make you a more enlightened, intelligent, ethical, or informed fan of football, regardless of any delusions you may harbour to the contrary. I suggest you learn to take yourself less seriously.

To me JUST posting here would be like JUST watching 11 on 11 drills at training camp. It's fun for what it is, but there's just no conflict, and without conflict, it's just not a sport.

You look for conflict in your sports-related reading, I do not. Your choice is no higher, better or tasteful than mine. So drop it with the snottiness.

Heck, even George on 940Fox Sports was talking about how he was disapointed that if the Phins beat the Jets, all he's going to hear is "you wouldn't have beat Penny", all year. The difference is that some people think that the W is all that matters, but HOW you got that W DOES matter to some of us. Further, would you rather this team was the Raiders of 2002 or the Titans of 2002? The Raiders beat the best of the best to get to the Superbowl. The Titans got deep in the playoffs on a soft schedule. Personally I'm tired of pretending our way into the Playoffs. If we don't deserve to be there because we're the best, I'd rather we stayed home.

False dilemna. If you believe that a competition vs the NYJ, sans Pennington, presents us with a paucity of challenge in the AFCE, then you're severely underestimating the strength of the teams we play. Beating the NYJ without Pennington is not a gimme, but I'm happy for any advantage the Phins may realize because it's a long, tough season ahead of us.

If you're disappointed the NYJ won't have Pennington, then I'm sorry the season won't be as satisfying for you as it will for me.

Actually, it is selective reading of forums, just the same as you. It is not a circle jerk. That may sound glib to say it, but it is not masturbation.

Good for you. Seriously. However, there is no need to demean others who do not frequent the message boards of others and refer to their preference to refrain from doing so as a "circle jerk". Really, you're setting yourself up on a pedestal again by deamining others. Because you like to hang ouit on a Jets message board does not make you a more enlightened, intelligent, ethical, or informed fan of football, regardless of any delusions you may harbour to the contrary. I suggest you learn to take yourself less seriously.

You look for conflict in your sports-related reading, I do not. Your choice is no higher, better or tasteful than mine. So drop it with the snottiness.

Hey, you dragged this out, not me. If someone ONLY wants to post, or frequent THIS board, more power to them. In my opinion, that's a bit weak, but again, to each their own. I choose to characterize that as a circle jerk because that's what comes to mind. Quite honestly, why would anyone here give a flying crap about anyone elses opinion of their Internet surfing habits? I've never met you, and I most likely WILL never meet you, so why are you so concerned? It's my opinion, I chose to express it...and if it doesn't suit you, feel free to ignore it. I promise, my heart won't be broken. As for taking myself less seriously, I'm probably one of the most laid back individuals you'll ever meet. But I also express my opinions, and I invite anyone within earshot to either ignore me, agree with me, or argue with me. The choice is ENTIRELY up to you.

False dilemna. If you believe that a competition vs the NYJ, sans Pennington, presents us with a paucity of challenge in the AFCE, then you're severely underestimating the strength of the teams we play. Beating the NYJ without Pennington is not a gimme, but I'm happy for any advantage the Phins may realize because it's a long, tough season ahead of us.

If you're disappointed the NYJ won't have Pennington, then I'm sorry the season won't be as satisfying for you as it will for me.

I'm disapointed that the Jets won't have Penny because they present a particular thorn in our sides. Again, I want to beat the best AT their best. Anything less IS less satisfying. Maybe YOU get the same thrill out of beating the Bengals as you do beating the Rams. I don't. I'd be jealous of you, but maybe the joy I feel at beating better teams is greater than the joy you get from just winning...who knows? Either way, this is how I am, and that's how you are...more power to you.

Back
Top Bottom